Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great THQ Sale (i.e not good)

• 22-01-2013 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭

Today, THQ (or it's developers, should nobody elect to buy the entire portfolio) goes under the hammer.

With many IPs, franchises and developers up for grabs the question I put forward to you guys is; Who do you want to see going where?

Personally, I want Relic Entertainment to go to Ubisoft/Bethesda/Double Fine/Valve. I do not want to see them being swallowed up by EA/Activision-Blizzard.

Article on THQ's history and recent downfall...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

ea
    in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

You have to think the studio's with games almost finished are the best bet. Buy the studio and almost straight away recoup the money from selling the game.

I feel sorry for the studios like the Saints Row 3 guys who have recently released a game and will need a publisher to buy them and inject what ever ridiculous amount to build SR4. Far less likely, more likely they will buy the IP's and strip the dev teams.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Someone buy the Homeworld license and make a sequel dammit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Kiith wrote: »

It might happen, dunno what Relic have in the works since CoH2 is out later this year, and it was THQ who had the license with Games Workshop so if whoever buys Relic doesnt get it theres not gonna be a DoW3 from them. So either CoH2 expansions and a third game, Homeworld or a new IP/old RTS IP rejigged for modern age.

Will be intresting to see who gets what companies, I imagine Relic and Volition (for the Saints Row license) will be the hotly contested grabs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Kiith wrote: »

there was some mention of this a few days ago... a former homeworld dev stated "who knows what will happen the up comming thq auction"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Just bought the Saints Row IP, cheers for the heads up OP. Good bargain. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

I'ld love to see another freepspace... but not sure whether it was voalition or interplay who had the rights for that...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Sega bids high for Relic Entertainment – rumour

I approve of this, I can see Relic being a good fit at SEGA, especially based on their handling of Creative Assembly over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

That's a surprise... Sega aren't exactly awash with cash money at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

gizmo wrote: »
    I approve of this, I can see Relic being a good fit at SEGA, especially based on their handling of Creative Assembly over the years.

Makes sense too with CA now having the Warhammer licence. If games workshop trust Sega with that then i imagine the 40k license will transfer to sega-relic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Worst thing is, it was a poxy kids game that really screwed them over! They produce some quality titles, especially on the PC, and we could lose some of these in the mix!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Sega, Relic & CA combine and using the GW licence create a Total War style 40k game....

*drool*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

SEGA giving them a nice budget for Homeworld 3 would what I'd be hoping for. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-23-thq-auction-rumours-relic-to-sega-volition-saints-row-to-koch-south-park-to-ubisoft

THQ auction rumours: Relic to Sega, Volition/Saints Row to Koch, South Park to Ubisoft

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Relic employee has said that Sega does own them now:

https://twitter.com/kyleberndt/status/294166753599164416

And THQ themselves have given out the list:

http://kotaku.com/5978429/this-is-the-letter-that-thq-sent-to-employees-today

Spear wrote: »
    Relic employee has said that Sega does own them now:

https://twitter.com/kyleberndt/status/294166753599164416

And THQ themselves have given out the list:

http://kotaku.com/5978429/this-is-the-letter-that-thq-sent-to-employees-today

sad Vigil didnt find a home

I worry about Volition and Metro because Koch produce some amount of ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

COYVB wrote: »
    That's a surprise... Sega aren't exactly awash with cash money at the moment

That Eurogamer article reckons that they have over $2billion in reserves so they must be doing alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/news/1020911.20130124.THQ-auction-results-Relic-to-Sega-Volition-and-Metro-to-Koch-and-more/

The proposed sales are as follows :

Sega agreed to purchase Relic
    Koch Media agreed to purchase Volition and Metro
    Crytek agreed to purchase Homefront
    Take 2 agreed purchase Evolve
    Ubisoft agreed to purchase THQ Montreal and South Park

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Hopefully Sega will keep on the Warhammer games under Relic, that was the big worry for me that it wouldn't get a buyer/gets someone like Blizzard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Sega did well over creative assembly, they are also a big supporter of Steam (pretty much all the total war since empire have been made with steam in mind)

My only concern is Sega tried to get creative assembly into the console market with spartan total warrior and viking, it didnt go well.

not sure if they are thinking the same for relic or just want to take whats left of the PC RTS pie left over from blizzard.

regardless I am glad relic got a home, and now I can laugh myself to sleep imagining sonic the hedgehog in the 40k universe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Relic Entertainment
    Makers of Company of Heroes
    Winning bidder: Sega, $26.6 million.
    Backup: Zenimax Media, $26.3 million.

THQ Montreal
    Makers of 1666 and Underdog, titles under development.
    Winning bidder: Ubisoft, $2.5 million. No runner-up.

Evolve
    (title in development at Turtle Rock Studios)
    Winning bidder: Take-Two Interactive, $10.894 million.
    Backup: Turtle Rock Studios, $250,000.

Volition, Inc.
    Maker of Saints Row
    Winning bidder: Koch Media, $22,312,925.
    Backup: Ubisoft, $5.4 million.

Homefront
    Released 2011; due for a sequel.
    Winning bidder: Crytek. $544,218.

Metro
    Series; due for the sequel Metro: Last Light.
    Winning Bidder: Koch Media, $5,877,551
    Backup: Ubisoft: $5.175 million.

South Park
    License; South Park: The Stick of Truth is due for release March 5.
    Winning bidder: Ubisoft, $3,265,306

Nobody made a bid for Vigil, of the Darksiders franchise. Anyone interested in a collective bid? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

So Darksiders is dead? I liked those games :(

danthefan wrote: »

Despite that it sold pretty poorly (with the exception of the 360 platform)

Relic Entertainment
    Makers of Company of Heroes
    Winning bidder: Sega, $26.6 million.
    Backup: Zenimax Media, $26.3 million.
    ****ing hell :eek:
    and RTS is a dying genre apparently:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Didn't see this coming. WWE licence has reportedly gone to Take Two/2K Sports.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/01/23/wwe-video-game-license-to-be-acquired-by-take-two

2K Sports. MLB and NHL series.

Take-Two own 2K's different companies and Rockstar's.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

danthefan wrote: »

Not dead just Vigil and the Darksiders IP havent been sold YET

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

VinLieger wrote: »

Not dead just Vigil and the Darksiders IP havent been sold YET

The IP perhaps, but it looks like the studio is almost certainly defunct as most remaining THQ staff are being let go.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

NTMK wrote: »
    ****ing hell :eek:
    and RTS is a dying genre apparently:pac:
    Yeah, but Dawn of War is awesome :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Shocked that EA did jump at a WWE license :eek:

• Advertisement

calex71 wrote: »
    Shocked that EA did jump at a WWE license :eek:
    I'm kind of glad it didn't go to them. I dunno why, but I wouldn't be overly keen on them getting the license.

Advertisement