Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great THQ Sale (i.e not good)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

marco_polo wrote: »
    The IP perhaps, but it looks like the studio is almost certainly defunct as most remaining THQ staff are being let go.
    Indeed, the staff have all been laid off...

A poignant goodbye from one of Vigil Games' many former employees

On a related note, the thought of this made me, well let's just say happy. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

So if Darksiders 3 comes along, does that mean Conquest or Famine are going to have really long hair and look good in leather? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Mr E wrote: »
    So if Darksiders 3 comes along, does that mean Conquest or Famine are going to have really long hair and look good in leather? :)

You mean Strife and Fury (no idea why they changed their names either), but Fury is female and uses a whip so looks like its inevitable :rolleyes:

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    You mean Strife and Fury (no idea why they changed their names either), but Fury is female and uses a whip so looks like its inevitable :rolleyes:
    From the comments of some of the ex-Vigil guys, DS3 would have offered proper four-player co-op with the horsemen as opposed to just Fury and/or Strife. As for the characters themselves, most of the final concept work was already done and can be seen in the two Art of Darksiders books, (nevermind flashes of them during the in-game cinematics, so unless Platinum went for a full redesign there wouldn't have been much worry of it going in the Bayonetta direction, style-wise at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

So Koch Media (Deep Silver) are in charge of the Saints Row franchise. Will be interesting to see what differences will be in SR 4. I think SR went a bit too mental so hope they go back to SR 2 kinda mental.

EA already got the UFC license off them last year so I'd say they are concentrating on MMA than WWE. EA also have their Fight Night series so maybe another fighting series would be too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Gunmonkey wrote: »

There's no changing, the only horseman that is named is Death with the rest only described.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Having been through a similar slow drawn out process with months of layoffs with one final dumping of everyone on to the jobless pile, I feel for these guys. It took me 3 years to get back but after totally changing industries going from a job that i just worked at, to working in the industry I love means looking back now it was the best thing that could have happened. It was a bloody hard 3 years though.

Hopefully the studio gets picked up and put back together.

Fair play to the studio's who are rallying around them like Naughty Dog who are offering up some jobs for them to apply for.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Varik wrote: »
    There's no changing, the only horseman that is named is Death with the rest only described.

They have never been named in the games but in concept art and behind the scenes vids they have
    http://darksiders.wikia.com/wiki/Four_Horsemen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

VinLieger wrote: »
    They have never been named in the games but in concept art and behind the scenes vids they have
    http://darksiders.wikia.com/wiki/Four_Horsemen

Uhmm I think he meant in the bible. The only horseman named directly is Death

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Horsemen_of_the_Apocalypse

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Uhmm I think he meant in the bible. The only horseman named directly is Death

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Horsemen_of_the_Apocalypse

LOL my mistake

• Advertisement

One thing I haven't seen mentioned much so far is that despite SEGA's purchase of Relic, it seems they only acquired the CoH and UFO IPs in the deal, Homeworld is still wrapped up in Chapter 11 proceedings.

Web developer launches Indiegogo campaign to buy the Homeworld IP from THQ

...and **** that.

EDIT: Seems the Warhammer IP isn't even a certainty now: Sega and Relic and the whereabouts of the Warhammer 40,000 IP

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

gizmo wrote: »

**** that is right. No way in hell i want to see Homeworld 3 designed for a tablet. If they want to create a space rts for a tablet, by all means, do it. I'd actually like to see a good one made. But Homeworld needs to stay with Relic, or someone like them who can do it justice.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Please keep the Warhammer IP Sega, please!

gizmo wrote: »
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned much so far is that despite SEGA's purchase of Relic, it seems they only acquired the CoH and UFO IPs in the deal, Homeworld is still wrapped up in Chapter 11 proceedings.

Web developer launches Indiegogo campaign to buy the Homeworld IP from THQ

...and **** that.

The Homeworld IP as well as some other stuff is apparently part of whats being called the Legacy package which will be auctioned off at a later date

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Looks like Sega did get WH40K with Relic but it's not a certainty yet:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-25-sega-and-relic-and-the-whereabouts-of-the-warhammer-40-000-ip
    Specifically, Sega noted: "THQ Canada provides several million seller franchise titles, and its representative products include the Warhammer 40k Dawn of War series."

Then Sega Europe boss Jurgen Post said: "We are incredibly excited to welcome Relic Entertainment into the Sega family. They are a highly respected development studio, with Company of Heroes and the Warhammer series both testament to the pedigree of their games."

Nowhere did Sega state undeniably that "we now own the Warhammer 40,000 IP", but why drop hints and talk about it so much if that wasn't the case?

I asked Sega Europe for confirmation of the Warhammer 40,000 IP acquisition this morning, but Sega could give me none.

Seems Crytek have opened a new studio in Austin from the remains of Vigil.

New Crytek USA studio staffed with ex-Vigil employees

Should be interesting to see what comes from that at least.

Advertisement