Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paving over Tarmac

Options
  • 22-01-2013 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

I have a drive up to my house which also goes all around the house too. The drive has a small granite wall up both sides. We are in the process of completing our garage and afterwards were thinking of paving.

Does Paving require a lot of maintenance?

I don't think I would like paving too pale in colour or with much pattern, maybe an edging/outside pattern. What is the best way to pick paving that looks well in fine and wet weather? And what about sizing of pavements?

Is there anywhere worth a visit to get different ideas

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

Oldstyle1 wrote: »
    I have a drive up to my house which also goes all around the house too. The drive has a small granite wall up both sides. We are in the process of completing our garage and afterwards were thinking of paving.

I don't think I would like paving too pale in colour or with much pattern, maybe an edging/outside pattern. What is the best way to pick paving that looks well in fine and wet weather? And what about sizing of pavements?

Is there anywhere worth a visit to get different ideas

Thanks
    Where are you based?
    Tobermore concrete have a nice outdoor display, its north of swords just off m1 . They have similar paving products in kilsaran paving and roadstone. But i personally think tobermore have a better range. Def. Pop into these places as it will make your decision easier.
    Paving on top of tarmac depends on the quality of it. Lots of low levels that collect water would suggest a bad sub base was laid. No puddles and tarmac is there 15 years. Work away. Bear in mind you will be raising the levels by appox 4/5 inches and the edges will need to be retained. This has the knock effect of having your paving higher than your lawn, if you have one.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Oldstyle1 wrote: »

Yes and especially so if the paving is not in full sun. Moss and weeds are a constant problem which requires maintenance. If you have a small enough area I suppose it's no big deal but unfortunately I have a large area of paving ! It does look well when it's clean and weed/moss free though. On balance would I put it down if I was doing ground works again - No !!

Advertisement