Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cuba ??

• 22-01-2013 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

Thinking of going here next May 2014 for a 40th birthday for me and my husband it is somewhere we always wanted to go and we haven't gone longhaul in a few years.
    Has anyone been I dont know whether I should book flights/hotels separate would be a lot of hassle trying to do independently or go for a package. If I go for a package should I go with a Dublin one or UK as they would be cheaper any reccommendations? I was planning a two centre holiday Havana/Varadero about 8/10 days probably 4 in Havana rest at the resort with a day trip or two thrown in. I usually travel independantly but for this distance a package may be better.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 smsmartinez

hi I would book with klm or air france very cheap in may and book your hotels through lowcostholidays .ie or travelrepublic.ie and that way you can do your time in Havana and then on to varadero I my self would not recommend varadero its only a long beach go to some place like Trinidad or vinales pina del rio we go every year as my wife is Cuban and we allways travel with either air france or klm via Dublin or cork enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

miss choc wrote: »
    Thinking of going here next May 2014 for a 40th birthday for me and my husband it is somewhere we always wanted to go and we haven't gone longhaul in a few years.
    Has anyone been I dont know whether I should book flights/hotels separate would be a lot of hassle trying to do independently or go for a package. If I go for a package should I go with a Dublin one or UK as they would be cheaper any reccommendations? I was planning a two centre holiday Havana/Varadero about 8/10 days probably 4 in Havana rest at the resort with a day trip or two thrown in. I usually travel independantly but for this distance a package may be better.

Hi, can you say if you followed the advise you got here or if you'd have any recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Myself and a pal organised a holiday for ourselves before last Christmas for two weeks.

I flew AF via Paris, we had two nights in Havana, three each in Trinidad, Cienfuegos and Vinales (so all on the northern end of the island), and the last four nights back in Havana. Didn't see a beach the entire time we were there :D

It was incredibly easy to organise independently - we just searched various websites and TripAdvisor for accomodation in each town, and then booked via email. I'd recommend casa particulares over hotels all the way - apart from our splurge on the Hotel Nacional for the last few nights in Havana, which I don't regret for a minute, but wouldn't do again - I'd do a casa particular in Havana if/when I go again. We stayed in a mixture of hotels and casas, and the casas were the best experience (if basic) by far. Hotels were very overpriced for what they offered.

My least favourite town was Cienfuegos, the rest were all absolutely gorgeous but in very different ways, so I couldn't rank them one above the other.

We bussed around the place on a very efficient public/tourist transport system that works very well. Each town we stayed in had one or a few tourist offices, from which we bought day excursions after we arrived - one better than the next.

It was an amazing place, I couldn't recommend it highly enough - especially seeing as recent announcements means it's likely to change dramatically in coming years - great for the Cubans, but that time-warp place will be gone soon I reckon.

If you've any other questions feel free to ask or PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Thanks guys never got around to it yet money, organising it managed a trip to Northern Spain and Nice but Cuba will be on the agenda sometime. Thanks for help and when I get a chance to go will be back with lots of questions :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭DainBramage

going to Cuba soon- just wondering is it best to bring cash (euros? or dollars) or will debit cards work? also whats the charge for using a credit/debit card at an ATM? thanks.
    also is one night enough at Vinales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭suds1984

going to Cuba soon- just wondering is it best to bring cash (euros? or dollars) or will debit cards work? also whats the charge for using a credit/debit card at an ATM? thanks.
    also is one night enough at Vinales.
    Bring euros - believe they is an extra charge (think it could be 10%) for exchanging dollars. Didn't see any ATM's while I was there in November. As far as I know you can withdraw money from credit card at the money exchanges - I had enough cash with me to exchange for my trip. Money exchanges are common enough in towns @ airport and hotels. Enjoy!

suds1984 wrote: »
    Bring euros - believe they is an extra charge (think it could be 10%) for exchanging dollars. Didn't see any ATM's while I was there in November. As far as I know you can withdraw money from credit card at the money exchanges - I had enough cash with me to exchange for my trip. Money exchanges are common enough in towns @ airport and hotels. Enjoy!

As per this post - if there were any ATM's I didn't see them.

Definitely euros or sterling - dollars will not be changed at all AFAIK.

I didn't have a single opportunity to use my credit card in the time I was there, so make sure you have enough cash to be getting on with.

I was very wary of bringing such a wodge of cash with me, but just got a good money belt and wore it around my waist the entire time.

I'd vote for more than one night in Vinales - the town itself is like a lovely little frontier town, but you need a couple of days to see the surrounding areas - I went on an excursion to nearby caves which was fantastic, and we got a local guide (not from the tourist office, can't remember how we found him but I can find out if you're interested) who gave us a "private" tour of the local area - full half day, and absolutely fascinating and beautiful. That area is not about the town(s), it's about the surrounding countryside and tobacco farms.

have one night left to fill on this trip- for somewhere between Trinidad and Varadero.

Was thinking either Cienfuegos or Santa Clara- would anyone recommend any of these? thanks again.

have one night left to fill on this trip- for somewhere between Trinidad and Varadero.

Was thinking either Cienfuegos or Santa Clara- would anyone recommend any of these? thanks again.

I didn't go to Santa Clara, but did go to Cienfuegos and was REALLY underwhelmed by it. It was nice, but that was it. We were in a hotel (don't make that mistake, go casa particular all the way) out at the end of town, the other side of the bay - and it (the bay) stank!

Maybe others have had better experiences, but going on mine I certainly would recommend to try elsewhere.

thanks will take that on board.
    also how did you find the bus network if you used it--- did you book buses in advance or just turn up at the station on the day?
    (looking at viazul bus website there does not seem to be a high frequency of departures between main towns??)

• Advertisement

thanks will take that on board.
    also how did you find the bus network if you used it--- did you book buses in advance or just turn up at the station on the day?
    (looking at viazul bus website there does not seem to be a high frequency of departures between main towns??)
    WE bussed around the place no problem - just booked ourselves on the next day's bus the evening before in the office in the town. They all ran on time and were reasonably comfortable. Can't remember if they were all Viazul or if there were other bus lines to choose from.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/going-local-in-cuba-1.2053109

Article in last weekend's Irish Times magazine which may be of interest/use to any of you lucky guys considering Cuba for a trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/going-local-in-cuba-1.2053109

Article in last weekend's Irish Times magazine which may be of interest/use to any of you lucky guys considering Cuba for a trip.

Read this at the weekend and it made up my mind for me. Looking to go at the start of June.

Read this at the weekend and it made up my mind for me. Looking to go at the start of June.

That'll be the wet season - although I'm sure it wouldn't spoil it too much. I'd imagine it'd be very hot and humid.

I think the height of the tourist season is around our winter months.

I know I went in December, and completely underestimated the heat - we were flaked out with it, and had brought clothes that were much too heavy - and there is literally NOTHING to be bought over there so we just had to suffer!

I'm sooooo jealous of those of you planning trips - I'm dying to get back to see the south of the island, and have a couple of nights tippling on mojitos while watching the dancing at the Casa di Musica in Trinidad - undoubtedly one of the absolute highlights of my trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

Cuba is amazing, well worth a visit and my recommendation is to ignore all inclusives and go casa particulars all the way.....the people are so friendly and helpful, and the buses around Cuba are clean, efficient and probably the best way to travel on the roads. I wrote a big email to a friend with recommendations, including the casas we stayed in (I hope that's ok, hopefully they still have the same contact details). Here's most of it;

AIRPORT
    Expect to take hours getting through customs on the way in, then queue for money at the exchange along with everyone else. I also remember an exit charge on the way home?

FOOD
    Eat in the houses or the local little casa restaurants in the evenings. If you eat in your house, tell them a day or two in advance so they can get good food in and it's great, otherwise might not be fabulous. Get peso pizza or omelettes for lunch from the street stores. Most casas give breakfast; fresh fruit normally.

NECESSITIES
    Bring toilet roll everywhere....!! Little ladies stand outside and expect a tip, they sometimes flush the toilet after you and give you toilet paper. Keep very small change on you for this at all times, 1cuc is too much!

DRINKING?
    Don't bother buying tourist cocktails, get a bottle of rum and cans of coke for much cheaper

PINAR DEL RIO
    Villa Blanca; gorgeous food, lady who lives with her sisters, lovely back garden with hammock etc and can help organise horseriding, salsa, whatever.
    Pinar Del Rio is gorgeous, just wander round the town, and go horseriding out into the country (ask Blanca for Noel, but he doesn't speak English! he goes to a local tabacco farm and a cave which you can go swimming in)

TRINIDAD - my favourite part of our trip
    Blas; this address is for his brothers house, but ask for Blas who has a small modern flat with a lovely roof terrace in the city centre. Or stay out with this guy, who has a lovely central patio; Zenia Cadalso Padilla, Camilo Cienfuegos no 265 e/Francisco Cadahia y Maceo, Trinidad (Ph 0141994834). Even if you stay with Blas, have dinner in the brothers house, he lays on a feast!
    Trinidad; try the "La Ceba" restaurant, or a small place called "Santisima Trinidad" (San Jose no 259, Ciro Redondo e/Ruben M.Villena y Juan M.Marquez) - but see if you can find a hawker in the square before going into the Santisima who will offer you a deal!
    You have to salsa when you get to Trinidad so take a few classes! Then go to the Casa de la musica which is up the steps near the main square - you can't miss it at night! I LOVED Trinidad, after the dancing try out La Cueva which is a massive cave turned into a nightclub!
    Also go out to the waterfall which you can swim in (perfect cure for hangover - any taxi will know where you're talking about) and try the beach :)

CIENFUEGOS
    Not much to see, nice town but you could almost do a day trip then move on! Nice out past the Malecon, would be nice to stay there. We took the public bus back from the Malecon to town, very cheap <1peso

HAVANA
    Havana; Try Orestes Guesthouse - not great english but very easy going; Galiano 60 apto.31, 3er piso, e/San Lazaro y Trocadero, Ciudad Habana (galiano60.orestes@gmail.com). Right next to the Malecon and easy walk into town.
    For a relaxing day spend the day at the pool at the Hotel Sevilla, expensive at 15cuc but you get that credit at the bar once you go in!
    Wander round town, bargin with a taxi at the Hotel Ingleterra for a tour around town, go up to La Cabana on the other side of the water, and the Plaza del Revolucion (do this as part of a tour, don't spend all day going out to it yourself)
    Have a cocktail in the Hotel Nacional de Cuba on a Fri/Sat night then join the locals sitting on the wall of the Malecon with a bottle of rum and some coke! (should only cost you about $8 max)
    Spend time round the old town; some lovely squares, one at the bottom of O'Reilly street with a gorgeous old church, another close by that sells books. The rum museum is there too. The camera obscura is cheap but quite good, but not in english.
    The museo de revolucion is also good, lots of reading but some interesting stuff about the CIA !!
    We didn't go into the cigar factory as we went to a cigar maker in the country in Pinar del Rio instead, but lots of people outside trying to sell cheap cigars - don't know if they are real or not, but if you don't fancy going with a shady looking character, ask your house owner if they can get you some.
    Try out Callejón de Hammel on Sundays, don't go with a hangover!
    Dont bother going to the Floridita bar as it's known to be very expensive, try the Monserrat beside it instead, then wander down Obispo street for more bars (lluvia del oro and another open air one on the side of a small square....)

SANTIAGO DE CUBA
    Find Raul Gonazalez Gonzalez, who is a guide; San Basilio No.113 Entre Padre Pico y Teniente Rey, Santiago de Cuba (Ph: 530152838188 or Ph 5322628771) - great english and speaks frankly about life in Cuba, brought us out to the Gran Piedra in the Sierra Maestra outside the city, stopping at some gardens and a few locals selling necklaces made from shells/nuts/seeds. He can also do a trip out to the Castillo del Moro (lovely, fresh air, big castle really), Basilica del Cobre (very nice, Raul is v.informative, wouldn't go there without a guide as it's just a church) and
    Plaza de Revolucion is worth seeing, you'll arrive or leave from there if you're taking the bus anyway.
    Casa de la Trova; small but bursting with atmosphere, people dancing out on the balcony and everything. Kinda scarier place to get up and dance than Trinidad!
    Las Americas; nightclub a taxi ride away, open late, not very 'traditional' in a Cuban sense (more like an Irish nightclub!) but lots of Cubans there for a night out.
    Museo del Carnaval puts on a show every day, worth seeing, they make you get up and dance!
    The main square has the town hall, a hotel (pay to go up to the roof and have a drink, lovely views) and a church. If you hang round the church long enough the caretaker will let you in for a small tip...
    Lonely planet recommends a restaurant that is a bit out of town which is frequented by old men and their young "girlfriends" - we went and weren't disappointed in the clientele!! Not great food though!
    Stay with Santiago y Carmen, Calle Aguilera no.563 no.2, e/San Agustin y Barnada

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    That'll be the wet season - although I'm sure it wouldn't spoil it too much. I'd imagine it'd be very hot and humid.

I think the height of the tourist season is around our winter months.

I know I went in December, and completely underestimated the heat - we were flaked out with it, and had brought clothes that were much too heavy - and there is literally NOTHING to be bought over there so we just had to suffer!

I'm sooooo jealous of those of you planning trips - I'm dying to get back to see the south of the island, and have a couple of nights tippling on mojitos while watching the dancing at the Casa di Musica in Trinidad - undoubtedly one of the absolute highlights of my trip.

That'll just about be start of season though? Hoping it won't be too bad.

Advertisement