Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student breaking 9 month lease

• 22-01-2013 6:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I have a similar problem. I am a student and I signed a 9 month lease. I am 5 months in and a sudden family crisis occurred which leaves me with no choice but to move back home in two months time. I'm extremely worried as I am unaware of the circumstances of termination of a lease? I contacted my landlord as soon as I knew i had to leave giving her over two months notice, yet she demanded that I still pay rent. My query is that on the lease there is no clause regarding termination. The only term given was 'If a tenant is to leave, security deposit is forfeited.' Does this still mean I am liable for rent on top of this? I am very confused with regards to my rights. If someone could give me some valuable advice it would be appreciated greatly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

This thread will be locked given it age. However, before it is...

Given the time frame involved I would be inclined to talk to the landlord and come to some sort of arrangement. You will have paid up 7 months of rent, and with the loss of your deposit that would be 8 months. She could technically persue for you the remaining month, but given the time and potential cost involved it is not worth her while and she knows this.

I would be inclined to approach her and see if she will accept three months notice and three months rent (plus whatever extra that might have to be deducted from the deposit for damages etc). She might not like it, but its a fair offer from you; you are giving her more than enough time to find a replacement and you are only missing the final month of the lease. It means that you effectively end up paying an extra months rent, but thats a fair compromise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You should be entitled to assign the lease to someone else, acceptable to the landlord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Victor wrote: »
    You should be entitled to assign the lease to someone else, acceptable to the landlord.

I was going to suggest this, but given the time frame involved (2 months at most) then I would have said that it might be better to try and negotiate something with the landlord first. An re-assignment is always an option though.

Advertisement