Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Encouraging a pup to use a kennel.

• 22-01-2013 4:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

I have a (nearly) 8 month old lab x pup. In keeping with his breed, he loves to be around people and luckily the majority of the time, one or both of us is at home so he is not often on his own. We do put him out in the garden most days for a bit on his own but rarely more for than 2 hours at a time.

We bought him a kennel approx 3 months ago and immediately started feeding him in the kennel to get him used to it and for it to be seen as a good place to be. We put a few toys in there and a pillow that he slept on when he was small so that it would be familiar. We have never forced him to try and use it, but he just doesn't seem interested.

Whenever we put him outside, invariably he will just lie outside the back door waiting for it to be opened. He drags the pillow from the kennel to the back door so he can lie on it but that's about it! There is a decent sized garden for him, but he just doesn't seem interested at all. When we are outside with him, he loves the garden but still rarely goes near the kennel.

Any advice on
    a) how to get him used to the kennel
    b) how to get him a bit more interested in being outside on his own.

As I mentioned, he isn't out there all day or anything, but he just seems to mope at the back door.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I wouldn't worry too much, he's just lying at the back door to be ready for when you let him back in. Is he lying out in the rain rather than use the kennel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

kylith wrote: »
    Is he lying out in the rain rather than use the kennel?

Yep. The back door is at the side of the house so there is a gate were he can see our cars from. He stays in that little alley so he can see when we are coming and going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It's a tough one alright. You can't force him to use the kennel, and from what you've said he seems happy enough to go in and out of it, so it's not like he doesn't know what it's for. The only other thing I could think of is to put up an awning so the rain is kept off of him, but I'd be inclined to say that he's probably fine; Labs are bred for working in water, so he's probably well enough insulated that he doesn't mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

We have our kennel at the back door so the dogs can see in while waiting to be let back in. Now the issue we have is on wet evenings we'd let them out for the toilet and the younger fella runs straight into the kennel then cries to go to the toilet when we're getting into bed :rolleyes:

Is it possible to move the kennel to somewhere he can spy on you while in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

What about moving the kennel to the back door for now, he's still a baby so might not want to be parted for long as he gets older and when the summer comes in he'll probably happily sit outside chewing on a bone for an hour or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

What about moving the kennel toack door for now, he's still a baby so might not want to be parted for long as he gets older and when the summer comes in he'll probably happily sit outside chewing on a bone for an hour or two.
    The back door is a
    at the side of the house and it is just an alley so no room there for it. There really aren't many options space wise,I guess well just have to hope he gets a bit better at it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

My dog was like that for a very long time! took her ages to twig going into the kennel in the rain. even now, she's 4 and will only go into the kennel in the rain when she feels like it.

Advertisement