Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ARCTIC MC001-N ~ MultiMedia Barebone PC - €114.95 Delivered. [Amazon.de]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

got email from amazon just now saying its shipped. woohoo :) i ordered on 16th feb, delivery date is estimated to be 11 apr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

Just got an email a few minutes ago at 3pm. My final 2 units ordered on the 16th have just shipped. Thus expect to have them in my hands by this day next week.

God, I really need to get a move on with the Unraid server and MySQL database. Managing/syncing the libraries of 6 XBMC clients individually would not be fun :D

got email from amazon just now saying its shipped. woohoo :) i ordered on 16th feb, delivery date is was estimated to be 11 apr

FYP :D

We should have them by 6th or 7th of March I'd say.

Calibos wrote: »
    FYP :D

We should have them by 6th or 7th of March I'd say.

ye estimate seems very inaccurate, time will tell i suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Just got an email a few minutes ago at 3pm. My final 2 units ordered on the 16th have just shipped. Thus expect to have them in my hands by this day next week.

God, I really need to get a move on with the Unraid server and MySQL database. Managing/syncing the libraries of 6 XBMC clients individually would not be fun :D

Hey,

That MySQL for syncing the libraries is something I only came across quite recently and would love to give it a go. Did you follow any particular guide for setting it up?

I have a N40L running ubuntu as a media server would be ideal to have as the master server

• Advertisement

No, I meant I have to get a move on and build a server (I'm going with Unraid on it) and learn how to set up the mySQL database thingie or else I'll be trying to manage the libraries of 6 xbmc clients. Looks like you are already one step ahead of me so it will likely be me who ends up asking you how you got on and asking for setup tips :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

shoutman wrote: »
    Any opinions on the arctic versus the lenovo q190 bearing in mind im looking for a windows os.

There is a thread on the XBMC.org forum about the Lenovo Q190 which might help if you haven't already found it.

The fair comparison of the basic Q190 would be the €259 MC001-BD model, both come with 500Gb HDD and 4Gb RAM the Q190 with Win8 and the MC001 with Win7.

Price wise the Q190 will cost you approx. €290 delivered vs. €275 for the MC001-BD. With the Q190 the Blu-ray drive is an extra cost add on and there is no TV tuner but you could add a USB TV tuner pretty cheaply if you wanted it.

The CPU in the Q190 is miles better than the CPU in the MC001, having said that I run Win8 on my MC001 without any problems but the experience is bound to be better with the Q190.

As you will see from the XBMC thread the guy has been running 3D on the Q190 something you couldn't do on the MC001.

The only real downside to the Q190 at the moment is fan noise. It appears that the fan is running at full speed all the time even when the CPU is only ticking over and it is audible at times.

If that can be overcome, maybe by placing the Q190 behind your TV to help muffle the noise then the Q190 looks like a great box.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Hey,

That MySQL for syncing the libraries is something I only came across quite recently and would love to give it a go. Did you follow any particular guide for setting it up?

I have a N40L running ubuntu as a media server would be ideal to have as the master server

I'm also using the the N40L as my media server. It's a nice box. Have 3x2tb drives in it. You think that would be plenty......

Stuck a TV card in mine too so I can have live TV / watch recordings on any xbmc client.
    No, I meant I have to get a move on and build a server (I'm going with Unraid on it) and learn how to set up the mySQL database thingie or else I'll be trying to manage the libraries of 6 xbmc clients. Looks like you are already one step ahead of me so it will likely be me who ends up asking you how you got on and asking for setup tips :D

Setting up the MySQL server is easy. Guides Here and Here

just remember your MySQL server needs to have a static IP otherwise it will get a new one each time it restarts and you'll lose your connection to the library. As far as I know you'll still be able to access the files as this should use the machine name but you won't see any new files that are added.

Also change your setup so that only one machine updates the library.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 aminemed

Do-more wrote: »
    There is a thread on the XBMC.org forum about the Lenovo Q190 which might help if you haven't already found it.

The fair comparison of the basic Q190 would be the €259 MC001-BD model, both come with 500Gb HDD and 4Gb RAM the Q190 with Win8 and the MC001 with Win7.

Price wise the Q190 will cost you approx. €290 delivered vs. €275 for the MC001-BD. With the Q190 the Blu-ray drive is an extra cost add on and there is no TV tuner but you could add a USB TV tuner pretty cheaply if you wanted it.

The CPU in the Q190 is miles better than the CPU in the MC001, having said that I run Win8 on my MC001 without any problems but the experience is bound to be better with the Q190.

As you will see from the XBMC thread the guy has been running 3D on the Q190 something you couldn't do on the MC001.

The only real downside to the Q190 at the moment is fan noise. It appears that the fan is running at full speed all the time even when the CPU is only ticking over and it is audible at times.

If that can be overcome, maybe by placing the Q190 behind your TV to help muffle the noise then the Q190 looks like a great box.

With the Radeon mobility on the Arctic, i guess it can play 3d movies as well, side by side, are you sure it's not equipped to do so ?

aminemed wrote: »
    With the Radeon mobility on the Arctic, i guess it can play 3d movies as well, side by side, are you sure it's not equipped to do so ?

I don't have a 3D TV so haven't paid much attention to the issue, I thought I had read that it won't do 3D but I could well be mistaken on that point.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement

I don't have a 3D TV so haven't paid much attention to the issue, I thought I had read that it won't do 3D but I could well be mistaken on that point.

I don't think that it's not able to do so..it's true that the CPU is low but the graphical card is able to do it..

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Loadedscream

This was a great call, thanks to whoever first spotted it!!

I know most people are using smartphone apps to control it but I ordered this just after I got it http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-HP-MCE-Media-Center-Edition-Remote-Control-Win7-XP-Vista-small-/181048385649?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:3160

It arrived today, worked straight out of the packet with openelec. For under a fiver delivered you can't go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

This was a great call, thanks to whoever first spotted it!!

I know most people are using smartphone apps to control it but I ordered this just after I got it http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-HP-MCE-Media-Center-Edition-Remote-Control-Win7-XP-Vista-small-/181048385649?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:3160

It arrived today, worked straight out of the packet with openelec. For under a fiver delivered you can't go wrong.

The item was removed, what was it by the way?

m8 wrote: »
    The item was removed, what was it by the way?

He's selling again here, it's a small MCE remote;

"Brand New HP MCE Media Center Edition Remote Control Win7 XP Vista small"

http://r.ebay.com/SVzLyU

For anyone looking for the barebones @€99.95 Amazon.de are showing 2 in stock at present.

Be quick!

[Edit] Arctic GmbH are also showing stock of the barebones listed as "Used - Like New" for a price of €92.95 + shipping.

invest4deepvalue.com

Anyone come accross a nice keyboard that would suite these?

I'm thinking about getting the Mele F10 Fly mouse / keyboard. A lot of people seem to like the Lenovo N5901.

Decisions, decisions...

invest4deepvalue.com

I'm thinking about getting the Mele F10 Fly mouse / keyboard. A lot of people seem to like the Lenovo N5901.

Decisions, decisions...

Looked at that ok but not sure tbh

m8 wrote: »
    Anyone come accross a nice keyboard that would suite these?

Are you running Open Elec on it?

Are you running Open Elec on it?

Yes. I also have a SSD on order and might put Linux on it with aduel boot.

• Advertisement

If you are just running open elec a mobile app for XBMC is the best way to control it (in my opinion).

For android: I mentioned Yatse before on this thread , i like it. The official XBMC app is pretty decent as well.

Someone mentioned something for Iphone earlier in the thread too.

If you actually need a keyboard, I think something like this might be good:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-K400-Wireless-Touch-Keyboard/dp/B005LDLQXG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362137128&sr=8-1

I got something similar in Pc world a while ago and it does quite well (sandstorm brand, not any cheaper than this)

Guys anyone using an MCE or comptabile MCE remote with this machine ? i wanna know if you are able to turn it on with this kind of remote.

Guys anyone using an MCE or comptabile MCE remote with this machine ? i wanna know if you are able to turn it on with this kind of remote.

I need to play around a bit more bit I couldn't with my one on first attempt. (I did change the bios but may have done it incorrectly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I have an MCE remote i plan on configuring to work with it, hopefully it will.
    I also have the Logitech keyboard mentioned above, and while it is a brilliant keyboard and trackpad, a remote is much more handy when lying down.

I haven't yet tried to get the Remote working, but will report back here when i get the chance.
    I plan on using THIS. I had it on my old PC and no problems at all after initial install. I also tried a couple of other key mapping programs, and TBH i can't fully remember what problems i ran into, but i did run into a few, but in the end they were all very easily fixed, i just needed to take a step back.
    I'm not sure if it would be able to power it up, but it should be able to wake it etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,707 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Allyall wrote: »
    I
    I plan on using THIS. I had it on my old PC and no problems at all after initial install.

that looks interesting, do you think it would work this remote?

http://www.amazon.de/Arctic-Cooling-MCR1-Fernbedienung-infrarot/dp/B005WD1D4M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362169677&sr=8-1

Headshot wrote: »

Yeah, i'd say so, they have a community too. Most remotes are in the download, but you can configure other remotes to work with it with XML files.
    I haven't had to configure a remote with it for about 3 years, so i can't fully remember how i did it.
    The only thing i do remember, and try to remind myself is, whatever problems i had when installing it, were easily solved. I have a vague memory of spending hours trying to configure different things to work, and control when XBMC wasn't loaded, and eventually they were easy fixes that i had skipped or presumed couldn't be the problem..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

eur99.95 back in stock, 3 units available : http://tinyurl.com/a2vdxkf

Plus the 4th Release Candidate of OpenELEC 3.0 just out : http://openelec.tv/get-openelec/viewcategory/11-arctic-mc001-builds

rai555 wrote: »
    eur99.95 back in stock, 3 units available : http://tinyurl.com/a2vdxkf

Plus the 4th Release Candidate of OpenELEC 3.0 just out : http://openelec.tv/get-openelec/viewcategory/11-arctic-mc001-builds

They seem to be available very early in the morning, and limited stock. I wish I had bought another..
    I'm going to try and nab one in the morning.
    If i get one, i'm going to buy Flirc and try Xbian.

I might try out Xbian today anyway. Has anyone else tried it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Still having trouble with the audio unfortunately. I can get it to work through analogue but not through hdmi.

I've tried changing the settings for audio output to hdmi and the output device to hdmi but no joy. There were a few different hdmi options for audio ouput and I gave them all a go to no avail.

I noticed I'm running xbmc 11. Are you guys using 12? Could that have anything to do with it?

• Advertisement

Still having trouble with the audio unfortunately. I can get it to work through analogue but not through hdmi.

I've tried changing the settings for audio output to hdmi and the output device to hdmi but no joy. There were a few different hdmi options for audio ouput and I gave them all a go to no avail.

I noticed I'm running xbmc 11. Are you guys using 12? Could that have anything to do with it?

Yep. 11 had a few bugs for me, 12 hasn't really had any.
    In 12 there are only 2 different options for Audio Output in HDMI. WASAPI and DirectSound.

Cool, fingers crossed that works!

That did the trick alright, next stop getting my sky go account to work!

Learning slowly but surely :)

Allyall wrote: »
    I'm going to try and nab one in the morning.

You could try setting up an email alert with CamelCamelCamel but I'm not sure if they check prices often enough. I set one up with Keepa but it's useless it's been in and out of stock 3 times since I set it up and I haven't had an email off them yet! (I don't want to buy another I was just testing the system).

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 13 E90

Anyone have the RTL2832u showing up in Windows as a device that needs attention?
    Is it a TV tuner? There were no drivers on the disc supplied...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

E90 wrote: »
    Anyone have the RTL2832u showing up in Windows as a device that needs attention?
    Is it a TV tuner? There were no drivers on the disc supplied...

The tuner driver is here:
    http://www.arctic.ac/index.php?eID=tx_mm_bccmsbase_zip&id=1222270975134343df2e41

Part of the Docs & Downloads:
    http://www.arctic.ac/en/support/downloads.htm?cid=7219&pid=9908

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

If anyone is looking at doing a dual boot with windows and openelec there is a good tutorial here

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭RoflHarris

Remouad wrote: »
    If anyone is looking at doing a dual boot with windows and openelec there is a good tutorial here

Thanks for that, planning on doing a dual boot when it arrives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ongarite

What's the usual delivery time for this from Amazon.de?
    Mine just got dispatched this afternoon but the estimated delivery date is nearly 3 weeks times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Got a reply from Arctic this morning saying that due to the volume of orders they got around Chinese new year, it's taking up to three weeks to ship them.

I presume that could affect Amazon orders as well as ones direct from Arctic.

ongarite wrote: »
    What's the usual delivery time for this from Amazon.de?
    Mine just got dispatched this afternoon but the estimated delivery date is nearly 3 weeks times.
    Most seem to have arrived 6-8 days after despatch from Germany.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ongarite

Back in stock again for €99. Looks like 14 units available.
    http://www.amazon.de/ARCTIC-MC001-N-Entertainment-Computer-Barebone/dp/B005AR1RT6/

Mine arrived just now was dispatched on 27 feb, looking forward to getting it working ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Anyone tell me how an MPEG2-TS stream 1080i would perform on this hardware? Stream would also require interlacing

Mine arrived just now was dispatched on 27 feb, looking forward to getting it working ;)

did it come via normal post? whereabouts in Dublin are you?
    I'm in ballsbridge and it didn't come in this mornings post :(

RoflHarris wrote: »
    did it come via normal post? whereabouts in Dublin are you?
    I'm in ballsbridge and it didn't come in this mornings post :(

Hi it came with an post parcel guy, not normal post, I'm in d3

Hi it came with an post parcel guy, not normal post, I'm in d3

great, hopefully mine will arrive today so, cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

FYI

ARCTIC is proud to announce the compatibility with nVidia’s newest graphics card, the GeForce GTX Titan. We offer 3 high performance aftermarket coolers.
    The Accelero Twin Turbo II, Accelero Xtreme III and our integrated air and liquid cooling solution – the Accelero Hybrid can offer you top-notch performances and low noise output for your system.

http://www.benchmarkemail.com/c/v?e=28A997&c=230F6&l=5E3CDA6&email=5EC6TgDnE3sWk3%2B0cpa64kyPBhzqZXIgBJcAT8xErqg%3D&relid=4C4A98B6

Nevermind I dont think this is related to this model + $$$

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭v240gltse

thought i would post here before putting it up on donedeal/adverts. I'am selling my ARCTIC MC001-N ( 4gb memory+160gb disk no dvd ) with Linux Kubuntu installed and all original packing. Bought on a whim and not been used I'll sell it for what i paid for it ( + a few euros for the disk ) at 160e.

can be picked up from naas or will meet up kildare/south dublin.

pm me if interested

regards

Mine just arrived to the office :D
    The plug looks to be EU style and I can't see an Irish adapter for it in the box, did everybody have to buy their own?

Anyone tell me how an MPEG2-TS stream 1080i would perform on this hardware? Stream would also require interlacing

In Linux it will play poorly. There is no MPEG-2 support in XVBA currently so decoding would be done on the CPU, which is very weak.

And MPEG-2 software decoding cannot be multi-threaded so you are only using one core (and one thread) of the already weak Atom.

I tested a 10Mbps 1080i MPEG-2 clip and it was smoothly playable using one type of deinterlacing (software blend). And at that it was pushing a single thread to 80-90% much of the time. So right on the limit. A few more Mbps would render it unplayable most likely.

It's a software issue, they don't have the documentation and SDK they need from ATI to implement MPEG-2 GPU decoding. So it may or may not be fixed in the future.

It should be fine in Windows.

• Advertisement
Advertisement