Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ARCTIC MC001-N ~ MultiMedia Barebone PC - €114.95 Delivered. [Amazon.de]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    Good value ram availible from here too - http://www.memoryc.com/computermemory/ddr3sodimm.html cheap enough shipping
    theShire wrote: »
    Just got an email from Memoryc.ie saying 15% off all Transcend products for the week using the code "TRAJAN15".

Save a couple on euros on Transcend RAM if you haven't picked up any yet!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Anybody receive anything??
    Got ichy fingers waiting for this??

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭KetchupKid

m8 wrote: »
    I will install openelec which is xbmc with the fastest boot up times I have ever seen on a PC.

How long does it take to boot-up with openelec? I've been thinking of getting this as a Media centre for the TV and that was my main concern, I don't want something that will take ages to boot. Also what version of openelec did you install?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Private Joker

Redriddick wrote: »
    Anybody receive anything??
    Got ichy fingers waiting for this??

Only got the hd's so far, ram should arrive by monday and i'd be surprised if by this day next week i don't get the full lot.

What i'm doing at the moment is playing around with xbmc, looking at all the different add ons . got project free tv add on and a few others working on it. can't wait for this to arrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Private Joker

KetchupKid wrote: »
    How long does it take to boot-up with openelec? I've been thinking of getting this as a Media centre for the TV and that was my main concern, I don't want something that will take ages to boot. Also what version of openelec did you install?

apparently 6 or 7 seconds from what i'm reading. faster if you have an ssd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Finally pulled the trigger and bought this just now, going to cannibalise my old Samsung NC10 netbook which I no longer use for some RAM and a hard drive (hopefully they are compatible) which has Win7 on it and upgrade it with the €15 Win8. Hopefully that will get me going for small enough money and I can upgrade the RAM and an SSD when I have a few bucks in a few months time.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

apparently 6 or 7 seconds from what i'm reading. faster if you have an ssd.

Yes about that for my USB boot.

You will need to install the version for your hardware but for this machine it's the generic build. I know there is a project ongoing on a build for the arctic mc001 which should make use of the DVB-T card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

m8 wrote: »
    Yes about that for my USB boot.

You will need to install the version for your hardware but for this machine it's the generic build. I know there is a project ongoing on a build for the arctic mc001 which should make use of the DVB-T card.

Yeah, think I saw 28 seconds with a jet flash usb3 plugged into back usb2 port as being fastest at the moment on the mc001. With the unusual mix of processor and Gpu in our yokes we are forced to use the largest slowest bootin version of openelec which for the time being kinda of defeats the purpose of using openelec in the first place. (Stripped out Os with minimum of drivers for super fast boot) I'm still going to install it because its an easy install and I need to learn how to ssh into it to fiddle around under the hood in preparation for the dedicated mc001 version.

Btw, my Harmony remotes arrived today. The email said 23rd feb for them. Account page said 6th-22nd Feb. all my stuff shipped the same day, so I'll be disappointed if the rest of the stuff isn't here by Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Who is delivering it?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭angryInch

Calibos wrote: »
    A2LUE42 wrote:
    Is the only difference between the N & E the DVD RW or am I misreading it?

DVD RW and DVB-T tuner card

Is this correct? The page on Amazon indicates its included in the MC001-N.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Who is delivering it?

It said something about DHL in the email, but whoever it is, it's taking ages. I thought it would have been here by now, all the other stuff i have ordered around that time has arrived, including some items from China (With courier, but still..).
    The consignment was shipped by DHL. This mission is not traceable. Delivery through the local delivery partners.

I received this on 24th January 2013 (8 days ago)
    Expected delivery date:
    Monday 18, February 2013

How could it possibly take that long? unless they are assembling them. Even with the slowest mail company ever, It shouldn't have taken this long from Germany, should it?

Allyall wrote: »
    How could it possibly take that long? unless they are assembling them. Even with the slowest mail company ever, It shouldn't have taken this long from Germany, should it?
    If you look at your amazon order (from the amazon page) it will say something like 1 Feb-18 Feb.

Its just a rough window, it means they have no idea how long it will take and they don't want you on complaining to them and filing a non-delivery too soon.

I placed my order at 19.00hrs CET yesterday and got an email at 05.55hrs CET this morning to say it was despatched.

This makes me suspect that it is coming from China. Either that or they are working 24hrs. a day to fulfil demand.

But like you say even if it was coming from China it should be here by now coming by DHL.

Curious.

invest4deepvalue.com

If you look at your amazon order (from the amazon page) it will say something like 1 Feb-18 Feb.

Its just a rough window, it means they have no idea how long it will take and they don't want you on complaining to them and filing a non-delivery too soon.

Nope, mine says:
    Lieferung voraussichtlich:
    Donnerstag, 28. Februar 2013

Which translates as:
    It vill arrive on:
    Thursday 28th, February 2013
    And you vill enjoy it.

invest4deepvalue.com

No, mine says only one date, but it did have a window originally.. Can't remember what that was.
    Don't get me wrong, i knew the window and expected times before i ordered, i'm just wondering how it could take that long.

As i had this open while posting it, i rang a friend of mine. He lives in France and ordered it on the 23rd. He received it on Wednesday the 30th.
    It arrived with DHL.

So 7 days to France from Germany, i'd say add 2 to here. So i should get mine today or Monday.. (Hopefully). :)

Got Expected delivery date:
    Friday 22, February 2013...This maybe because of a Credit Card issue where I entered a wrong date.

What kind of dates did other people get on shipment notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jfk247

just ordered one with some RAM....got expected delivery 8 Feb - 11 Feb for the RAM and 12 Feb - 1 Mar for the box.
    very weird ordering stuff in German even with Google translator!!!

fingers crossed it wont take as long as they say

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hangar18_

Just ordered the MC001-E expected delivery 12 Feb - 1 March, very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 maxxus

They are kinda slow...
    Ordered 20.1., credit card charged and despatch confirmation received 23.1., but actual shipping date was 29.1. and delivered 31.1.
    They using DHL Weltpaket (postal service) and it came from Germany.

• Advertisement

maxxus wrote: »
    They are kinda slow...
    Ordered 20.1., credit card charged and despatch confirmation received 23.1., but actual shipping date was 29.1. and delivered 31.1.
    They using DHL Weltpaket (postal service) and it came from Germany.

I received my confirmation pretty much immediately, and shipping date (According to them) was the next day i think. Either way i am Hoping it'll be here and running on Tuesday at the latest.. 11 days isn't the longest i've ever had to wait for something.

Did you try and boot openelec from the USB 3.0 ports? I think someone found a way to do it, or there was a mistake originally. Wondering how that's going.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

I think I just bought one of these. It's late, I don't speak German and I've been drinking, but it looks like a good deal.

Have xbmc on an old dell working well to try the software. Happy to move on to a quiet, dedicated box. Looks like it could do the smart part of a smart tv for a lot less dough. Which is nice.

I see there is a guy on the XBMC forum whose has got his Arctic and is running Openelec on it but is having problems with getting audio over HDMI might be worthwhile keeping a eye on that thread for a solution in case anyone runs into the same problems.

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote: »
    I see there is a guy on the XBMC forum whose has got his Arctic and is running Openelec on it but is having problems with getting audio over HDMI might be worthwhile keeping a eye on that thread for a solution in case anyone runs into the same problems.
    Seems like that guy was running OE2.0.

Audio over HDMI is not a problem with the latest release candidate.

There is a thread for the Arctic in the OpenElec forum here.

invest4deepvalue.com

Mine just arrived :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Mine just arrived :-)

When did you get the dispatch email?

• Advertisement

cgc5483 wrote: »
    When did you get the dispatch email?

Last Monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭v240gltse

mine arrived this morning ;-D

What was your delivery dates in the mails?

Just wondering if they are getting delivered before the dates on the mails?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Ordered 28th.
    Got a delivery date of Feb 25th.
    Arrived this morning.

I got the model with DVD.
    Also ordered a remote control and they shipped a box of them (5) rather than just the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Just got my one there ( DVD version ) only issue is I didn't get my memory yet hope it arrives this week can't try it out until then. Looks really neat and tidy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Just ordered one there. I have some parts lying around that should complete the build so €115 for a working Media Centre running either OpenELEC or XBMCbuntu sounds like a winner :D

Didn't realise windows 7 home premium addition was preinstalled on this thought it had no OS.

Didn't realise windows 7 home premium addition was preinstalled on this thought it had no OS.
    What did you think you ordered and what did you actually get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

MaceFace wrote: »
    Ordered 28th.
    Arrived this morning.

Also ordered a remote control and they shipped a box of them (5) rather than just the one.

I've gone for the blu-ray model - hope it arrives today. I ordered on the 24th so it should be here today judging by your post.

So you have 4 remotes you don't need? Did you pay for five by accident? Any interest in off-loading extra remotes to fellow boardsies - happy to pay small (reasonable) fee? :)

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Same as might take one of those remotes:D:D:D:D:D:D

MaceFace wrote: »
    Ordered 28th.
    Arrived this morning.

If you are off loading the remotes put me down for one ;)

I would give the seller an opportunity to pay for return shipping of the extra remotes first before divvying them out.

They can't be making much profit margin on these nettops so it would be pretty lousy & dishonest to keep €50 worth of remotes due to someones mistake.

Got Expected delivery date:
    Friday 22 but looks like it came today, got text from wife to say I had a delivery.

Happy days.

From your previous post you said that you ordered the one with the DVD which is the MC001-E but it looks like they have shipped you either a MC001-BD, MC001-DVDS or MC001-DVD which are the only ones that have Win7 installed, so you will also have got 4Gb RAM and either a 500Gb HDD or 120Gb SSD.

I'd run out and get a Lotto ticket if I were you, it looks like it's your lucky week!

[Sitting here with fingers crossed waiting for my delivery!]

invest4deepvalue.com

I would give the seller an opportunity to pay for return shipping of the extra remotes first before divvying them out.

They can't be making much profit margin on these nettops so it would be pretty lousy & dishonest to keep €50 worth of remotes due to someones mistake.

I did mean that I will take one (pay) rather than you return them and of course you will need to pay the supplier and I'm sure that anyone interested will want it that way.

Just curious if everyone got exactly what they ordered?

• Advertisement

What did you think you ordered and what did you actually get?
    Got what I ordered just didnt realise it had an os with it thought it was barebones no hdd no memory no os

*checked rock under rock.

Nope. Still nuttin'. :(

Did it come with Normal post, or DHL?

Ordered my MC001-E on Friday got an email now saying that it has being dispatch today, so might have it friday if not this day week :) now must get sum ram load an os on a usb happy days.

Do-more wrote: »

From your previous post you said that you ordered the one with the DVD which is the MC001-E but it looks like they have shipped you either a MC001-BD, MC001-DVDS or MC001-DVD which are the only ones that have Win7 installed, so you will also have got 4Gb RAM and either a 500Gb HDD or 120Gb SSD.

I'd run out and get a Lotto ticket if I were you, it looks like it's your lucky week!

[Sitting here with fingers crossed waiting for my delivery!]
    Just looked at the code on the barcode says MC001-E-T have to wait untill I get home to open it up but it says on the box preinstalled windows 7 home premium and radeon HD 5430 card no mention of HDD or memory

Just looked at the code on the barcode says MC001-E-T have to wait untill I get home to open it up but it says on the box preinstalled windows 7 home premium and radeon HD 5430 card no mention of HDD or memory
    Read the box further and it says MC001-DVD 4gb memory and 500 gb 7200rpm 16md cache hdd can't wait to get home know to look at the unit it's self

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Just got mine. It's a very neat looking thing. Thought it would be taller but its relative small. I like the casing on it - nice chunk of metal (to help with cooling I suppose). I'll rig it up to Tv and attach a wireless keyboard/mouse pad to it to setup. It feels like it's Christmas again :D

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    Just got mine. It's a very neat looking thing. Thought it would be taller but its relative small. I like the casing on it - nice chunk of metal (to help with cooling I suppose). I'll rig it up to Tv and attach a wireless keyboard/mouse pad to it to setup. It feels like it's Christmas again :D
    Feck forgot need a wireless keyboard think I have one in the loft

Nice one astrofluff when did you order it and what os will you be putting on it. Can't wait for mine to come.

Got mine,well herself got it at home.will have a look at lunchtime,that is if i,m let into the house;)

• Advertisement

Just to note, I had a peep inside one of these for someone on Saturday and there are thermal pads on top of the heatsinks to transfer heat into the lid panel.

On the one I looked inside these pads had plastic film on top that hadn't been removed in the factory.

Advertisement