Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paypal invoice question.

Options
  • 22-01-2013 5:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭

I'm currently on Job Seekers Allowance the past few months.

I've been trying to find work online and just recently I got to write a few articles for an irish company.

I got paid €20 for the first 2 articles via PayPal.

I've to send them an invoice as well.

My question is will this potentially cause me problems with the welfare office? I've no experience with how things like this work. I don't want to cause myself any issues with the department over a few writing gigs.

Any info would be great. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

You could apply for the Short Term Enterprise Allowance STEA which would allow you to have the same social payment and work at starting your own business at the same time. This would obviate any issue in this area.

Cheers

Peter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭silentbutnice

You could apply for the Short Term Enterprise Allowance STEA which would allow you to have the same social payment and work at starting your own business at the same time. This would obviate any issue in this area.

Cheers

Peter

Thanks for the reply. However, I think that STEA only applies if your receiving Job Seeker's Benefits and not Job Seeker's Allowance like I am?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_and_work/short_term_enterprise_allowance.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

I'm currently on Job Seekers Allowance the past few months.

I've been trying to find work online and just recently I got to write a few articles for an irish company.

I got paid €20 for the first 2 articles via PayPal.

I've to send them an invoice as well.

My question is will this potentially cause me problems with the welfare office? I've no experience with how things like this work. I don't want to cause myself any issues with the department over a few writing gigs.

Any info would be great. Thanks

How exactly would the social welfare know?

I might be wrong but the only time they scrutinise your accounts is when your applying for the means tested job seekers allowance - in which they request six months of bank statements.

justryan wrote: »
    How exactly would the social welfare know?

I might be wrong but the only time they scrutinise your accounts is when your applying for the means tested job seekers allowance - in which they request six months of bank statements.

I have no idea on how they would know or find out. I just wanted to get some details before I went invoicing.

Would my name not come up on some system when the company files their taxes etc? I have to provide a name and address in the invoice so it could be traceable that way, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

I have no idea on how they would know or find out. I just wanted to get some details before I went invoicing.

Would my name not come up on some system when the company files their taxes etc? I have to provide a name and address in the invoice so it could be traceable that way, no?

If you start earning substantial money from it then I would look into becoming self employed, as an earlier poster said there is a back to work enterprise allowance that allows you to retain your sw payment for six months (?) to get you up and running.

The job facilitator at your local sw office can help you with this.

I don't think the revenue would chase you over €20 here and there personally I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, but for your own piece of mind you could keep a record of the payments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you were doing a substantial amount of work for a company then you'd probably need to sort yourself out as self-employed

For a one off 20 Euro job it's hardly even worth your while thinking about it, but it's nice to see someone who is that honest :)

Thanks for the reply. However, I think that STEA only applies if your receiving Job Seeker's Benefits and not Job Seeker's Allowance like I am?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_and_work/short_term_enterprise_allowance.html

I agree with the posters above that it is far too small an amount of money to be concerned about and your honesty is to be admired.
    If you are longer term unemployed you may be entitled to this http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_and_work/back_to_work_enterprise_allowance.html which is a different and longer term scheme.

cheers

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You can declare it online pretty easily, i cant see there being any tax on it.

You can declare it online pretty easily, i cant see there being any tax on it.

Where exactly do you know?

I agree with the posters above that it is far too small an amount of money to be concerned about and your honesty is to be admired.
    If you are longer term unemployed you may be entitled to this http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_and_work/back_to_work_enterprise_allowance.html which is a different and longer term scheme.

cheers

Peter

I plan on moving to oz I am April so I don't want to go down the STEA or other scheme route as its only 3 months away.

Some weeks I could make €150 from writing and other weeks not a penny. Its the inconsistency that makes it tricky.

But I don't want to be caught for doing something dishonest. But I'm unsure of how to go about this.

My client this week will pay me €100 for my writing work, but may not have any more work for a month. That's the situation I'm faced with.

• Advertisement

Your income has risen from E20 since yesterday and now it is up to a E100 or even E150. My advice would be to do the right thing, you know what it is yourself!

Peter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Where exactly do you know?

You can go to http://www.revenue.ie and use the PAYE anytime service to declare income, claim tax credits etc. Its fairly straight forward. You will need to wait for a letter with a PIN to be sent out so you can use the service but thats all and it saves a ton of hassle in the long run.

Your income has risen from E20 since yesterday and now it is up to a E100 or even E150. My advice would be to do the right thing, you know what it is yourself!

Peter :)

It's risen because I got a new project emailed to me this morning. It was €20 here and there, and it will be €20 here and there most weeks.

Doing the right thing is something that I will do. But it seems that all roads will lead to a lot of hassle(even that STEA scheme is meant to be a complete joke if things don't work out for your business).

This is why I want to go about it the proper way and make sure that I've all relevant information available to me.

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. ;)

Advertisement