Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Colin Murray gone from MOTD2

• 22-01-2013 5:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭

Colin Murray gone at the end of the season.

i didn't find him as irritating as some, but he certainly wasn't great.

rumour is he píssed off some of the guests.

Mark Chapman showed how well the show can be done a couple of weeks ago, so I hope he ultimately gets.

also, I fully understand this is a shít thread, but I'm bored :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Shame they are keeping him on for the other stuff. If the sh*t standard in the BDO didn't turn people off watching darts his presenting would...some cringeworthy stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

606 is a long way away from when Marcotti and DJ Spoony used to do it but I think Chapman is a good fit for MoTD. He's a huge Manchester United fan. MoTD needs to improve their coverage. Shearer and Hansen are rubbish, I never watch MoTD anymore. Hopefully MoTD 2 will improve now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

nice1, cant stand him:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mentioned this in the off topic thread as it didn't really demand a fresh thread ;)

Whatever about the host its the pundits (golf club on a sofa) that's MOTDs problem, they need a decent young fella, a regular who's played the game in the last decade. Richard Sadlier is a breath of fresh air on Soccer Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Great bit of writing, as usual from Barney Ronay, on why Murray got the chop -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/blog/2013/jan/22/colin-murray-motd2-bbc?CMP=twt_gu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

He's gone!!

4KRAa.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Chapman's far superior to Murray in that he doesn't make you want to stab the screen. Even if you find Chapman bland, which I don't(he's wry, or at least he is on ESPN), bland beats irritating every day of the week. The axe has fallen in the wrong place here mind, the pundits is where the shakeup is required. Hansen, Lawrenson, Shearer all need binning off.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

Xavi6 wrote: »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/blog/2013/jan/22/colin-murray-motd2-bbc?CMP=twt_gu

From the comments section of the quoted article:

Why does an ex-pro have to be on the panel anyway?

You don't get ex-actors employed as film critics ('Well Simon, what Michael Bay's done here is, he's got your Shia Leboeufs, your Megan Foxes, he's got your explosions, and you gotta say, he's done well. I know people will say he's spent a lot, but you can't argue with those results'), so why do we put up with them as bad footy analysts?

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Colin Murray, while a slight annoyance, is nowhere near that show's biggest problem. They should dump all of the pundits first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The only decent thing I can say about him is that at least he's not Gareth Crookes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Colin Murray, while a slight annoyance, is nowhere near that show's biggest problem. They should dump all of the pundits first.

He's decent on the Kicking Off podcast on Radio 5 live on a Friday. The presenter is supposed to be bland..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Alan Shearer, in particular, who in turn sees no contradiction within his own practice of carrying on as a professional television analyst and de facto journalist while evidently lacking the basic forensic and communication skills to perform this role with coherence.

This is probably the greatest sentence ever written.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

He was an annoying bollix but they should have turfed out everyone involved in the show and started from scratch.The whole set up needs to be revamped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

I think he was the show's biggest problem as it happens. All that matey matey, touchy-feely bollocks week in, week out. Just a really **** presenter. Chiles was the man for MOTD 2. Not sure, ahem, 'Chappers' is an upgrade though if his presenting of 606 with Robbie Savage is anything to go by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

marwelie wrote: »
    Alan Shearer, in particular, who in turn sees no contradiction within his own practice of carrying on as a professional television analyst and de facto journalist while evidently lacking the basic forensic and communication skills to perform this role with coherence.

This is probably the greatest sentence ever written.....

It isn't even the greatest sentence in the piece. It's true though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

Bring back Chiles, he always made MOTD2 fun to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I enjoyed Murray on the show as the pundits sit there with arms flexed, jaws locked, voices monosyllabic and personalities dry while Murray hopes to poke fun at them and offer some witty introductions to the games they are showing. I enjoyed this but obviously others won't. So I am disappointed he won't be on air for MOTD2 from next season.

Two comments under the Guardian article I enjoyed;

"A big part of the problem with football punditry is that barely anyone is prepared to criticise anyone else within the game. Its almost an unwritten rule not to upset a fellow pro or a manager you meet at football dinners or you might need an interview off."

"MOTD2 I always felt was punching at a different group. The younger but perhaps no more knowledgeable football fan who was not at home on a Saturday night and digested his football on a Sunday night and enjoyed a bit of light hearted footballing banter (such as 2 bad, 2 good)."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I didn't mind Murray at first but I have found him very irritating over time. I find him okay with certain stuff like Darts but I think with football a bit of a more serious take is needed. At times I find he treats everything like a set-up for a gag.

I do very much like Chappers. I think he gets the balance right between seriousness and having a laugh, like Stelling does on Sky.

Incidentally there was a great Q&A involving Chapman and David O'Leary, Aldo and Packie Bonner on BBC radio around the time of the Euros last year. It's well worth a listen if you've time to spare. They tell some great stories about their time with the Irish team including a time they wound up next door to a nudist colony and how Ray Houghton came to be involved in the Irish set-up:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Best news I've heard in a long time, can't stand him.

mosstin wrote: »
    It isn't even the greatest sentence in the piece. It's true though.

If you were to dislike Shearer as much as I do then you might think so. Just goes to show that playing to a high standard doesn't necessarily mean that you know what you're talking about....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Cant stand him, Chappers will be much better, Good riddance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

I didn't mind Murray at first but I have found him very irritating over time. I find him okay with certain stuff like Darts but I think with football a bit of a more serious take is needed. At times I find he treats everything like a set-up for a gag.

I do very much like Chappers. I think he gets the balance right between seriousness and having a laugh, like Stelling does on Sky.

Incidentally there was a great Q&A involving Chapman and David O'Leary, Aldo and Packie Bonner on BBC radio around the time of the Euros last year. It's well worth a listen if you've time to spare. They tell some great stories about their time with the Irish team including a time they wound up next door to a nudist colony and how Ray Houghton came to be involved in the Irish set-up:

Why? Football couldn't be any less serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

mike65 wrote: »
    Whatever about the host its the pundits (golf club on a sofa) that's MOTDs problem, they need a decent young fella, a regular who's played the game in the last decade.

Like Jamie Redknapp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Thank god he is gone, i gave up watching match of the day because of that annoying fu*ker, i just watch goals on sunday now which is usually full of too much talking but its good nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I record MOTD/MOTD2 and just watch the highlights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Why? Football couldn't be any less serious.

I feel with Murray he is laughing and joking around about 90% of the time and while a bit of fun is great, sometimes there is a serious moment to be discussed. Maybe a player gets taken out off the ball, or someone has dived to win a penalty, or maybe a manager has lost his job after a game. The trouble with Murray is he laughs about and makes gags even for these moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Absolutely delighted. Whatever about criticising players, Murray is seriously unprofessional with his guests, to the point of being bullying.

In the past year I've listened to him:
    - Slagging off Lee Dixon for not getting invited to the Arsenal 'legends' parade (oh yeah Colin, what have you done in the game?) In the end, Dixon got his invite, and went off to ITV shortly thereafter.
    - Making light of Pep Guardiola's stress when he left Barca ("you're coaching the best club team in the world! How can you be stressed?" Er, you answered your own question you muppet)
    - Implying that Pat Nevin's wife was having it off with the milkman. He said this because, shock horror, a football pundit remarked that he goes to football matches. I couldn't believe my ears. Neither could the panel - there was a shocked silence in the studio, then they carried on as if he wasn't there. Did the 'bauld Colin take a hint? Did he f***. "Sorry mate - Does that kind of thing still happen actually?" he chimes in 30 seconds later.

There's a lot more. He consistently crosses the line without even being vaguely funny.

Also, on Sunday night, he was bloody ignorant when Pat Nevin was making a point about a penalty that wasn't given, either deliberately misunderstanding him or being too thick to follow three sentences. And returned to the point, four f***ing times.

I'm not a fan of Lawro, and wish those numpties at Venky's would give Shearer a job to take him off our screens, but this is a step in the right direction.

As for Chapman, he's no AC Jimbo, but he'll do a decent job.

Like Jamie Redknapp.

I hope you're joking. The only way he can contribute to analysis on Sky is to talk over Gary Neville. As useless an analysist as he was injury prone as a player. I reckon his missus knows more about tactics than he does....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

The problem is is seems like an old boys club. I dont want host and pundits calling each other "Chappers", "Lawro" and "Alan Shearer".

Get back to doing proper analysis and stop laughing and joking through everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

They can't do proper analysis (not that they would be capable anyway) because the current BBC deal restricts them heavily for time. They would be better off dropping the pundits and having one decent host introduce extended highlights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

geeky wrote: »
    Also, on Sunday night, he was bloody ignorant when Pat Nevin was making a point about a penalty that wasn't given, either deliberately misunderstanding him or being too thick to follow three sentences. And returned to the point, four f***ing times.
    Spot on, I thought the same too. Once was enough for Nevin to explain his thoughts on the decision (and he did a bloody good job of explaining it too the first time around) without having having to repeat himself several times. What made it worse is Pat Nevin is one of the very few people they have on the show who is actually worth having on.

I go along with the thought that the other side of the table needs changing too, but getting rid of this git is a good start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I thought Lee Dixon was great, it's a shame you barely see him on itv now. On thing I noticed about Nevin (same can be said about Provan on sky) they have less affiliation and give better analysis for it.
    The likes of Houghton, smith and lawrenson are so pessimistic and depressed its like theyre being inconvenienced by being there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Xavi6 wrote: »

Good article if a little wordy for the basic points it is putting across.

I liked Murray. I didn't love him or anything - presenters aren't that important.

The idea that the ex-pros, most of whom on that show barely get an intelligent point across, getting someone the sack (or relocated more correctly) because he dared offer an opinion is pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,328 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Strange decision to get rid of Murray.

I didnt like the guy ,he tried too hard to be witty,was an insufferable bore and full of himself but I dont think he was critical of players ,far from it.
    He tried to pass everything off as a joke .
    Only last week Hansen was on a rant about how bad a certain team were and Murray cut him off in mid sentence.

BBC's football pundity is a joke ,give me Bill and the boys anyday .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I just fast forward through any punditry bollocks to watch the highlights,don't need to hear Shearer or Robbie Savage prattle on about every player being a smashing lad or other similar banalities.

Only pundits I watch with any regularity are Dunphy,Brady and Giles.And that's only for the entertainment value of the sheer absurdity and nonsense that usually comes out of their mouths.

Oh and the lad who used to host the La Liga shows back when I could afford Sky was decent,think he got the sack though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I just fast forward through any punditry bollocks to watch the highlights,don't need to hear Shearer or Robbie Savage prattle on about every player being a smashing lad or other similar banalities.

Only pundits I watch with any regularity are Dunphy,Brady and Giles.And that's only for the entertainment value of the sheer absurdity and nonsense that usually comes out of their mouths.

Oh and the lad who used to host the La Liga shows back when I could afford Sky was decent,think he got the sack though.

Mark Bolton, where did he end up? Saw him standing in the tunnel during a west ham game (I think), at least he left sky in a top top way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

The natives are not happy...

COLIN.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

razorblunt wrote: »

Mark Bolton, where did he end up? Saw him standing in the tunnel during a west ham game (I think), at least he left sky in a top top way.
    Now he is someone who is missed from Sky's La Liga coverage. The guy this year is so bland, dour, soulless and forgettable that I cannot picture his face or voice off the top of my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Now he is someone who is missed from Sky's La Liga coverage. The guy this year is so bland, dour, soulless and forgettable that I cannot picture his face or voice off the top of my head.

Scott Minto.

Bolton was good alright. Think he got canned for regularly saying La Liga was better than the PL. He had a right go at Sky on Twitter as well when he was sacked from what I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Crackle wrote: »
    What made it worse is Pat Nevin is one of the very few people they have on the show who is actually worth having on.

Amen. Nevin is an intelligent man who actually likes and thinks about football. This makes him stick out like a sore thumb.

Admittedly, I'm biased as a Chelsea fan, but I can't recall hearing him talking sh*te. Still, whenever he's on, he seems to be accompanied by wee Colin, so I end up switching off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement