Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rests

• 22-01-2013 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭

How much more stability would a rest provide compared to a 6-9 non-swivel bipod?

I am playing with the idea of buying one but don't know if it will be an advantage over what I am using now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

for BR shooting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Yup should have said that sorry.

Just international sporter for now.

for me its like comparing shooting off a fence post and a bipod on the ground. Even in IS the guys putting in the serious scores are shooting off rests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Remind me to bring along my caldwell front rest this week and you can give it a go to see if it makes a difference to your scores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭clivej

The rules say you can use a front rest and rear sand bag. So go with that as it will be far more stable. The Bi-pod will never be as good as a rest.
    Also remember that the weight of your bi-pod is included in the total weight of the rifle, @8.5lb, if fitted in IS.

What your trying to remove from the equation is the small movement that you get between squeezing the trigger and the bullet leaving the muzzle.
    With a bi-pod you will have more movement than a front rest. Also you can set the rifle up and on target then watch the wind (flags) for less/the same/none wind. You can then decide to only use your forefinger and thumb on the trigger guard to release the trigger without touching the stock. There's a name for that type of shooting.

That way you introduce as little outside faults as possible.
    Just my view of things.

I used a Caldwell Rock BR Competition Front Shooting Rest as shown below. Good heavy rest BUT i found that it was a little high and I need to put a block of timber under the rear bag to lift it up enough to level to rifle.

rifle-rest.jpg

This is the latest edition of the rest, it looks better to use and can get down lower. I've not used this and would get this over the older model. IMO

Caldwell's team of engineers has developed a series of rifle rests that incorporate their new "Fire Control" mechanism

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/caldwell/catalog.asp?product=fire-control-front-rest

746884-main.jpg

But this is only the beginning of front rests. Ask the benchrest lads @ the range what they use, I know you'll get many answers but they have been at it longer and will (should) know their stuff.
    AND ask to use their rest to see what fits you best

;););););)

Seen a lot of benchrest shooters use this rear bag. It has a solid leather piece on the bottom which is the best i think. Jim had them but would be cheaper online

923713.jpg

Or this looks better

Protektor_Deluxe_Double_Stitched_Mid-Ear_Rear_Shooting_Rest_Bag_with_Heavy_Doughnut_Bottom_Leather_and_Cordura_Black_and_Yellow_Unfilled.jpg

• Advertisement

Thanks for that guys. Looks like I will definitely have to look into a rest so.

Maybe after a few sessions with one I would start breaking the 230's :cool:

I was looking at a Caldwell The Rock rest.

Would this be a good starter rest?

I like the look of the second rest you posted up Clive but never saw one in the flesh so am a little weary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Scalachi

ANY rest will be better than any bipod IMVHO :)

I would expect it to give you an extra 5 points in BR minimum as the hold should be much more consistent.

The one you have listed will be good for IS and LV, I have owned it and eventually upgraded to the Caldwell Rock BR, (Clive has listed) and now have a Cicognana, if you have lots of money then get a Cicognani or a SEB :) but they are probably a disadvantage with a sporter style stock.

Just for info, anywhere around 230 is a very good score for IS!

Regards

DB

So far I am usually in the 220's. Last week shot a 215 and 229. Changed my hold for the 229 and worked out a lot better. This is still with SK Standard Plus. Once I get things sorted I'll be moving to RWS.

I am using last years Irish Open scores as my guideline/goal

478 is still a fair bit away from me yet.

Just looking through some of the results on the websites D, winning scores are all between 470 to 480 over 2 cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Hey Dev, the Caldwell Rock is the one I have, so give that one a try!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Scalachi

Ah Sorry, your talking about winning scores :)

I still say anything above 230 in IS is very good shooting :)

Had a look at NASRPC BR IS scores for last year and there was only one Score in the 480's - one in the 470's and one in the 460's I think, most scores in IS were below this and I think the average of the scores in the top 10 is still only 457 or 228 per card.

Regards

DB

dev110 wrote: »
    Thanks for that guys. Looks like I will definitely have to look into a rest so.

Maybe after a few sessions with one I would start breaking the 230's :cool:

I was looking at a Caldwell The Rock rest.

Would this be a good starter rest?

I like the look of the second rest you posted up Clive but never saw one in the flesh so am a little weary.

Stakelums in Thurles had one last time I was in there

I have a small car jack in the shed I was thinking of making a rest out of, seen it done.

If you know me I'll get it done. :):):):)

Scalachi wrote: »
    Ah Sorry, your talking about winning scores :)
    I'm very competitive. I always want to push myself to be a better shooter otherwise why compete?

I'm very competitive. I always want to push myself to be a better shooter otherwise why compete?

And this is where the bug starts to get in on ya. (like the long range stuff)

Next it'll the LV and then HV competitions 'cos while you at the range shooting the comps. you'll want to get the day OUT OF IT.:):)

I'm already looking at guns or getting one built but will stick with IS to cut my teeth at it first and see is it for me.
    I'm already addicted to BR so who knows what will happen after I shoot in a few comps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

We'll need to get you into smallbore prone or three-positions now that you've caught the rimfire bug!

You provide the gear and anything can happen :D

Will give you a training session and get you to shoot a match during the summer. If you're getting a heavier BR gun, if it's something like an Anschutz Match 54, 18 or 19 series action you can use it for the position disciplines as well with irons.

IRLConor is be getting scared now :D

• Advertisement

Might take a while yet to scare him! Still, can always shoot the 3x40 and rattle a cage or two.

I think prone would be my best bet. Can't get a hang of that standing at all

I think prone would be my best bet. Can't get a hang of that standing at all

You neeed to put on weight to shoot standing - to help in the wind. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

clivej wrote: »
    You neeed to put on weight to shoot standing - to help in the wind. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Aye, weight, in the form of core muscles like tank treads. :p

the prone is far and away the easiest to start shooting half decent scores quickly at. Being where you are, of course, air rifle over in Wilkinstown is far and away the cheapest and also the best way to get into the whole thing, as once you can master air rifle (on a significantly easier target than the 50m one) you should have no problem figuring out the support mechanics in prone and kneeling with a bit of coaching. Being as you're already looking at benchrest though, you could certainly shoot prone with the same rifle, provided you're using a suitable stock, and there's myself and Conor around to help you get started too.

Advertisement