Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: Turning Unsettled with Gales

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

RuthieRose wrote: »
    Mental thing happened about 7ish this evening that gave me a real scare.
    I was walking during a dry spell the 5 or 6 steps from the shed to the back door this evening when I heard this noise. Several thoughts went through my head in the 10 or so seconds before i realised what it was.. I thought it was waves crashing on the bay but quickly realised I was far to far from the sea to hear it. Then a couple of car and house alarms started to go off and I thought freak massive wave(!!!!!) but quickly realised it was a hail shower heading for me! It was the noise of the hail hitting all the houses before it got to where I was standing and it was a mighty shower that turned everything white for an hour or so..
    Sorry just wanted to share that!! I have never heard that before and it set off car and house alarms!!!! Mental!!!!

Yeah that was a mental shower all right, heaviest I've seen in quite a while. There's a big car park down the road from me and and all you could hear afterwards was all the alarms ringing. Really big hailstones and it was about an inch deep on the ground afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Well... According to both Met.ie and Raintoday it's raining here and has been for nearly an hour... but ... It isn't ! Not a drop. Bare this in mind when radar watching today. Never seen them both so wrong at the same time. Breezy but nothing out of the ordinary yet. ( Donegal Town - 1km from shore. )

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

irish1967 wrote: »
    Well... According to both Met.ie and Raintoday it's raining here and has been for nearly an hour... but ... It isn't ! Not a drop. Bare this in mind when radar watching today. Never seen them both so wrong at the same time. Breezy but nothing out of the ordinary yet. ( Donegal Town - 1km from shore. )

Rain could be evaporating before it reaches the ground?

Rain has arrived here now if that's any consolation to you! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

The wind has really picked up down in Cork. Some very big gusts now, there was an 83 kmh gust at Roches point on the 08:00 report. Will be interesting to see the next report and with sustained winds due to get as high as the current gusts later on, it will not be a pleasant day.

Checking the 3 hour weather charts Ireland has disappeared under a blob of rain.

Also of note, Cork city is now overrun with seagulls, in for a bit of shelter. If you were not looking at the weather forecast they are always a good sign that bad weather is not far.

Belmullet joined the party on the 09:00 with a gust of 101kmh. It is really getting going now, also looking at the radar, the very north of Donegal is the only part of Ireland without rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

The Met Eireann / Raintoday radar looks hilarious. Where's Ireland?

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp
    http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Conrach

Just after checking UKMO and NW forecasts for my postcode. MO is giving me 40mph gusts from 3pm but NW is giving 60-62mph gusts for the same time frame.
    That is a huge discrepancy!
    I will stick with the NW forecast because MO is giving no gusts from now until midday, yet it is blowing a hoolie and some very strong gusts. :rolleyes:

Very stormy morning in Galway, heavy driving rain, strong wind and still dark, really don't envy anyone working outdoors today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Gust 58 KMH here now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Currently in Lansdowne Road. Trees are still. No precip. Calm before the storm? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭blankAs

Here in tramore we're having gusts of 60km/hr with the pressure falling very quickly. Time to batten down the hatches i think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 andrioolis

the wind start to pickin' up in dublin, nothing major yet....

Absolute torrential downpour in Galway for the past half an hour, flash floods everywhere. Heaviest rain I've seen in years :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Pressure falling in N Kildare - 5mb drop in couple of hours. Wind picking up but nothing dramatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Nice and blustery in Waterford with some good gusts already in areas well exposed to the southwest. Was enjoying my walk until the rain got too heavy. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Been beating it down with rain the last 2 hours and it's fair blowing a gale out there as well. Pressure down to 977mb from about 980/990m(can't remember exactly) this morning at 8am. No wind data on this Oregon Weather Station. Wind is a constant 30mph+ as the Foyle Bridge was limited to 30mph this morning at 9am and it's definitely stormier now than it was then. Could well be 40mph + now!

M6 buoy gusting to 118 km/h at 10am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,333 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

andrioolis wrote: »
    the wind start to pickin' up in dublin, nothing major yet....

Nothing major anticipated - light rain maybe some moderate showery falls, strong SW breeze, Dublin is mostly sheltered from this direction. From what I can see in Dublin Bay right now looks to be about Force 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭some_dose

Right on the Galway coast here - it's like the second coming of Jesus. Crazy rain.

some_dose wrote: »
    Right on the Galway coast here - it's like the second coming of Jesus. Crazy rain.

One of the most intense downpours I've ever seen, everyone was just standing by the window in shock for 10 minutes! Conditions were similar to a downburst with horizontal sheets of torrential rain and hail, crazy. Floods everywhere now

Valentia and Newport gusting to 107 km/h at 11am.

• Advertisement

Some lightning detected just off Donegal in the past few minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,333 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Harps wrote: »
    One of the most intense downpours I've ever seen, everyone was just standing by the window in shock for 10 minutes! Conditions were similar to a downburst with horizontal sheets of torrential rain and hail, crazy. Floods everywhere now

A couple of big old cells blew right up Galway Bay on the radar alright, bit of a sting in the tail from the front, and Id say the squall would have been severe. Will be interesting to see the hourly rate returns.

Is it just severe surface flooding or anything worse inside premises etc?

Harps wrote: »

You weren't joking. :eek:

5WQP7YX.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Sustained wind speed of approx 10km for last few hours, max gust so far of 23km at 11:10 this am. (ISS not in great position so likely not that accurate)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭OCorcrainn

Living in Cork City, this is the third day in a row that we are getting pounded by this storm system. If the rain does not ease off significantly this week we are going to have major flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

Wind picking up in arklow now!!!! .... Been raining all morning!!!! ..... What does the weather experts think the winds will be like in arklow/Gorey at about 1:30??? Have to drive to Gorey for a school run :( ... Thinking I might go early???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Wind picking up in arklow now!!!! .... Been raining all morning!!!! ..... What does the weather experts think the winds will be like in arklow/Gorey at about 1:30??? Have to drive to Gorey for a school run :( ... Thinking I might go early???

Storm should peak in the midlands between 4 and 6 id say , but still , its already fairly windy here in DUblin so yeah... just keep an eye out for fallin branches on backroads .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Wind picking up in Dun Laoghaire now, still bright & sunny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

You might want to leave early. The East coast is to be hit soon enough with some rain and strong gusts.

• Advertisement

06Z GFS still showing very strong maximum convective gusts possible, up to 160 km/h, highest arround 6pm. Will be watching the radar closely this afternoon/evening!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement