Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: Turning Unsettled with Gales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Weathering wrote: »
    Latest reports from met.ie http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp
    Sleet recorded in Carlow when it's 8degrees I think not ha
    Wind gusts not too bad

They were giving Snow and 10C at Belmullet at 11am, I think our own network of observations will give a better picture today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Galway rain at 11am.

238370.png

Mental conditions around Carlow earlier. Had heavy hail, sleet and even some wet snow blowing in the wind. Precip intensity the likely cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Been out for another walk. Wheelie bins are like fallen soldiers around here. :P

GALWAY CITY
    Following substantial rainfall this morning a number of routes in Galway City are now impassable. Wolfe Tone Bridge, Flood St and Lough Atalia Rd at the College Rd Jct are now closed.

CORK CITY
    A fallen tree is reportedly blocking traffic on the Lee Rd. Gardai are en route. Excess surface water is causing problems for motorists.

KERRY
    Mill Rd, Killarney is closed due to flooding. Spot flooding in parts around Killarney Town.

N3/CAVAN
    Spot flooding in parts along the N3 between Cavan Town and Belturbet; particularly at Kilduff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

We had a squall here about 6 miles north east of Kilkenny city.

I got my weather station in September 2010, today a new gust record of 95km/hr.
    It was bad in the last ten minutes now back to normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

I'd love to stay here for next few hours and see how things are going but ive to head out now.I live in Galway City so im taking my camera and will try snap a few pics,i should take my canoe with me aswell.Wind just starting to gust around Salthill now but nothing major just yet.
    Just seen post below me that Wolfe Tone Bridge is now closed,boo,as that was my way into town,will cross up at O.Briens now instead.

That cell southwest of Athlone still producing lightning and very heavy rain as it moves into the midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Some savage gusts of wind here:eek:

Newcastle Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭teddybones

Wind picked up very quickly here in Wicklow town, was calm at 9 but howling now and wind at it strongest so far this year. Lashing down. I think the strongest not due on East until later on this afternoon? Oh, rain just stopped like a tap being turned off this moment! eerie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kerrywez

Sunshine gone now, but relatively bright, in comparison to this morning, just had a brief shower, looks like there is more rain coming in from Dingle Bay. The wind has calmed considerably though it was quite brisk when the shower was on. In the last minute the wind has increased again so I would say that is the cold front pass us and we are getting back into the disturbed weather again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭ongarite

Wind has picked up here in Dublin 15. Very very strong in the last 5 mins.

O6R0wFh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Just got gust of 22 knots in N Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

What time is that chart Maq? Looks like I'm gonna have a close call with the South edge of that baby.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Back edge of that squall line through the midlands was very nasty, had some really severe gusts for a couple of minutes (West Laois). Bright and sunny now but still pretty blustery.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

getting a bit squeaky bum here guys:eek:

irish1967 wrote: »
    What time is that chart Maq? Looks like I'm gonna have a close call with the South edge of that baby.:D

That was for 6am this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Maq,can u see any chance of Tuesday system going a bit further South and impacting us in Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Wind picking a lot in Dublin 4 now

• Advertisement

As the cold front passes the winds should continue to peak up during the afternoon and early evening. Then we have the risk of more severe convective weather.
    A more widespread severe to damaging wind gust risk is forecast with the back-bent occlusion, which affects Ireland during the evening hours onwards. Despite a weakening wind field at 850 hPa, well mixed maritime air should assist in downward transport of winds from higher levels and therefore widespread severe wind gusts affect Ireland and UK during the overnight hours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Gone very dark in Ballsbridge now, plenty of rain falling too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I was dreading the rain from this system, but thankfully all we got was a heavy shower at 12.30, rain before that was'nt to heavy at all :)

Weathering wrote: »
    Maq,can u see any chance of Tuesday system going a bit further South and impacting us in Donegal

The track would need to shift south a bit but not by a huge amount. Here is now the NAE shows it :

13012921_2806.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Crazy gust 5 mins ago, heard smashing glass, think something went through a neighbours window (cant see anything) really dark now in D4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

On a southbound train to Greystones. Coming into Shankill. It's raining and become windy. The sea was getting choppy as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

DominoDub wrote: »

With a name like Flood street and sandbags always outside the door, the cheap rent would be the only reason to run a business there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

blankAs wrote: »
    tramore is getting a beating from this storm, just watched a neighbours shed roof come off and driving down the prom i wouldnt advise it, it was scary with the gusts coming off the sea. iv never seen clouds move in from the sea that quickly ever, is that due to the high atmospheric winds they were talking about? the pressure had dropped 7/8 in the past hr and that large tree out the back aint looking too stable at the moment

Waterford airport showing recents gusts of 55knots which would be just over the 100kph, that could certainly due damage in exposed areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

it goes from nice and bright to dark thunder rain in about 5 sec flat

• Advertisement

Gust of 115 km/h at Casement at 1pm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement