Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: Turning Unsettled with Gales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

DART line itself is unaffected and adjoining stations are open as normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

I wouldn't consider that spot in kilkee to be even a direct hit zone, there are rocks out past it that break any waves.

I would love to see the car park in doolin, there is nothing but open sea in front of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Its a proper windy day alright. Would say how the wind is howling down the chimney and drainpipes it sounds a lot worse than what it is? The plug holes in the bath/shower sinks are all gurgling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

The wind is picking up again here in West Cork. Severe gusts, I think my pampas grass is giving up the battle

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Anyone see these pics from Galway that are up on joe.ie

Ciaran%20Pope%20image.jpg

Flood%20Galway.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Started to die down now here in mayo. But it was rough a couple of hours ago. We have lost the top off the chimney from the central heating boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Just back from Old Head, saying it was wild would not do it justice, great waves as well, still very stormy in Castlebar, the lake is close to bursting its banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

snaps wrote: »
    Started to die down now here in mayo. But it was rough a couple of hours ago. We have lost the top off the chimney from the central heating boiler.

Has it hell !!!!!! Its still blowing goodo in the county town. Very wild right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

Quite calm here in N Wexford compared to what I'm seeing on here. Quite gusty with rain around lunchtime but fairly calm out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Gust of 60 - 70km here in Dundalk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Bit of a breeze & drizzle here in Greystones, nothing major. Can't find the peak times anywhere, is it over for these parts or is the worst yet to come?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

cotton wrote: »
    Bit of a breeze & drizzle here in Greystones, nothing major. Can't find the peak times anywhere, is it over for these parts or is the worst yet to come?:confused:

It never was anything major since the models downgraded it a couple of days ago. Just a regular winter storm with the risk of some severe convective gusts in places. The warning was for gusts to 120 km/h which isn't major, and so far all the gusts have been within that.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Met E 28 January 2013- updated at 17:00
    Dublin Tonight

It will be very windy for a time tonight, with some further showers. Strong to near-gale force south-westerly winds will gust 80-100 km/hr. The winds will decrease later tonight, becoming moderate to fresh after midnight and it will be mostly dry overnight. Rain will spread from the south towards morning. Lowest temperatures of 4-6 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

MT's UPDATE _ Monday, 28 January, 2013 _ 5:45 p.m.

Strong wind gusts are likely to continue until about 9 p.m. then should gradually reduce to moderate speeds in the 40-70 km/hr range as winds back from W to SW by morning. Another storm system is following a similar track but does not appear quite as strong, although it could catch Donegal with its strongest winds tomorrow mid-day. In general, this next event will be milder with a further 20-30 mm of rain possible. Winds for most of the country will peak during the late morning or early afternoon at about SW 50-80 km/hr but that may be closer to 70-120 km/hr in a few parts of the coastal northwest.

Overnight lows of about 6-8 C for the south, 4-6 C north then highs during the day Tuesday of about 10-12 C.

Wednesday will continue blustery and showery with highs near 9 C in a steady southwest wind of about 40-70 km/hr. This will once again rise to somewhat stronger levels overnight into Thursday morning with a heavier burst of rain (another 15-25 mm possible) then it should begin to turn colder in stages on Thursday as winds veer more westerly at 50-80 km/hr. Passing squally showers could become wintry on higher ground through late Thursday into Friday as winds veer further to the northwest.

By Saturday it should begin to clear on strong northwest to north winds although some lines of showers could develop near the west coast, and it will be quite cold especially in the wind (50-80 km/hr) with highs of 5-7 C.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I'll stop posting pictures of people surfing after this one, taken on Sunday, from this Facebook page (Mullaghmore again I think)

182267_10151200898942000_92444759_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Interesting image, top left looks like there's another big storm brewing.

EUMETSAT_MSG_RGB-airmass-westernEurope.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Is that the start of a funnel in the cloud edge ?

Screen-Shot-2013-01-28-at-17.37.07.jpg

DominoDub wrote: »

Wow, it's gone and ripped the roof off that house on left. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

It never was anything major since the models downgraded it a couple of days ago. Just a regular winter storm with the risk of some severe convective gusts in places. The warning was for gusts to 120 km/h which isn't major, and so far all the gusts have been within that.

Thanks for that maquiladora. Mind you, 120km/h would have been major for me, living right on the east coast, anything out of the ordinary would.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

DominoDub wrote: »

where was that taken?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Deank wrote: »
    Wow, it's gone and ripped the roof off that house on left. :D

Not sure if that is the case. There seems to be scaffolding outside the house in question, as well as fresh blockwork. I'd say its a reroofing/extension job in progress.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Not sure if that is the case. There seems to be scaffolding outside the house in question, as well as fresh blockwork. I'd say its a reroofing/extension job in progress.

The :D emoticon is generally used to indicate that the preceding sentence isn't entirely serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

I think it was a joke.

Ken Doherty (the snooker player) tweeted that picture earlier.

andrew wrote: »
    The :D emoticon is generally used to indicate that the preceding sentence isn't entirely serious.

Yip, missed that one. Off down to Specsavers in the morning.........!

Eh the comment was tongue in cheek

Deank wrote: »
    Eh the comment was tongue in cheek

Cheers. Just saw the picture and then your comment and then hit "quote". Completely missed the smiley!

Cheers. Just saw the picture and then your comment and then hit "quote". Completely missed the smiley!
    Easily done

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭waterways

Just a regular winter storm with the risk of some severe convective gusts in places.

53b4313a697b11e2b0f722000a9f18db_7.jpg

copyright http://www.redbullstormchase.com/mission-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Eden3

Saw these guys "storm chasing" on the News tonight - they have to be "insanely" brave .....! Those waves were massive and forceful...!

In North Meath this eve, winds very strong .... I've a lot of mixed type old trees surrounding my home - last year I lost a huge poplar ..... it's burning in the stove as we "speak", but the downside is when it fell it missed the house by only a few centimetres .....!:eek:

Forget about snow-watching - me and the dog are tree-watching tonight ... mad weather!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Not a bad day for January ! , pity though none of those strikes where close enough to me ... but sure , a day with a view of Mammatus clouds is always a good day :)

44741_10151437798896718_1054931197_n.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement