Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sharm El Sheikh recommendations

• 22-01-2013 7:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭

We're off to Sharm for a week at the end of April.

Anyone recommend excursions and excursion companies. There seems to be so many offering similar.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I'm afraid I can't offer recommendations on companies, but just be aware that if you plan on going to the pyramids it is a LONG way from Sharm (about 500 miles or so I think). Anyone I know who has gone on the trips has said that really, they are better if you are there for 2 weeks as it is a very early start, a long day on a bus (6 hours to and from) and late home. Takes it out of you. But if you do go during your week, go early so that you have time to relax and recover from it (i.e not 2 days before you come home or you'll be wrecked).

I know that many people opt for a flight to Cairo as it works out about the same price, so if you to want to go, perhaps look into getting a flight rather than a bus excursion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Most of the tour companies offer day trips to Pyramids using flights etc.

I stayed in Dahab which is about an hour from Sharm and alot more 'backpacker' vibe so can't give you an idea of Sharm itself which is mostly resorts. I would highly recommend going to St. Catherine's Monastry and then climbing Mt. Sinai. Give yourself plently of time. I came down in darkness and was glad of my torch but it's not ideal. The scenary is stunning.

There's also plenty of diving and snorkling options to do. Obviously be careful and aware of the restrictions on diving and then going to altitude within 24 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭She Who Dares Wins

Def flying to the pyramids and planning snorkeling moreso than diving. Im a bit torn on doing the night climb of Sinai, Id love to but my travelling companions wont be doing that for sure. So it's really worth it?

I climbed Mt. Sinai and it was amazing. I went on my own, started about 1pm after I'd looked around St. Catherine's monastry. There was only about 10 other people on the mountain. Had to descend about 40 mins in the dark which I wouldn't recommend, better to do it all in daylight for safety reasons.

I would highly recommend it, scenary is stunning, almost like the moon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭She Who Dares Wins

Do you know any companies there who do a day climb, I can only seem to find night ones.

• Advertisement

No, don't know any companies off hand but it's the kind of thing you can organise when you're there. It's not a difficult mountain to climb and the path is very well marked, absolutely no fear of going off it. You'd be fine doing it on your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Moocifer

I did a day trip to St. Catherines Monastery and Mt. Sinai in the first week of May. Can't remember what company we booked with but we didn't go up to the top as the heat prevented it. It's out in the middle of the desert so don't under estimate how hot it can get during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Party On My Hands

Looking at going there myself this summer can anyone recommend a decent hotel in Sharm El Sheikh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭savvyav

We did an excursion out to a Bedouin camp in the desert at night. Very touristy but seeing the stars out in the desert was amazing. They have high-tech telescopes and show you all these different constellations. We just booked through the hotel.
    There was an excursion to Jordan to see the city of Petra on offer. We didn't do it as it was very expensive but I would have loved to have done it!

Advertisement