Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What cable tv box works with upc.

• 22-01-2013 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi folks,

Don't know if any one can help, but if you can many thanks.

Anyway I have a unused 32inch LCD flat screen monitor, that I would like to turn into a tv for the kitchen. I have a upc connection set up throughout the house, I'm guessing I would need some type of cable set top box to do this, any ideas anybody ?. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You call it a 'monitor' which suggests it doesn't have a tuner in which case you will need to get a digital box from UPC. No other box will get you a TV service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭zg3409

If you can get UPC analogue on other TV's (17 channels without needing the digital box), then you could get analogue channels on the monitor. Depending on what connections on the monitor you could use an old VCR as a basic tuner, and possibly the monitor may have composite in.

One question, does the monitor have a speaker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

zg3409 wrote: »
    If you can get UPC analogue on other TV's (17 channels without needing the digital box), then you could get analogue channels on the monitor.
    Wouldn't that just make it a TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Wouldn't that just make it a TV?

No, the proposal was to use an old VCR as the tuner.

But unless the OP mentioned the model/brand of monitor, and what inputs it has, it is difficult to give exact advice.

Advertisement