Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Maths Algebra, please help

• 22-01-2013 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

So I'm in 5th year now, doing algebra (chapter 3 in Active Maths 4 Book 1) and am totally lost.. I was always a good maths student but I've completely slipped on this chapter.. I have no idea how to even begin questions or what I'm looking for (3.8 in particular)..

x2-ax+2 is a factor of x3-x2+5ax-b
    Express a in terms of b

If any can help explain this one (it's q21 on page62) I'd really really apreciate as I am completely at a loss...

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

ampmm wrote: »
    So I'm in 5th year now, doing algebra (chapter 3 in Active Maths 4 Book 1) and am totally lost.. I was always a good maths student but I've completely slipped on this chapter.. I have no idea how to even begin questions or what I'm looking for (3.8 in particular)..

x2-ax+2 is a factor of x3-x2+5ax-b
    Express a in terms of b

If any can help explain this one (it's q21 on page62) I'd really really apreciate as I am completely at a loss...

Thanks in advance
    Since it's a factor it will divide in with no remainder. So you just divide x3-x2+5ax-b by x2-ax+2. It's a little tricky to get used to but it's the exact same as normal division. When you get to the last 2 lines, you know that they are equal so you let them equal each other. One will have a and b in it so you just move the b terms to one side to get a.
    I think the last 2 lines are
    (5a-2)x - b
    (-a-a2)x + 2 + 2a.
    Let 5a-2=-a-a2 and -b=2+2a.
    I think I've a wrong sign somewhere though.
    I probably haven't explained that properly, it took me a few questions to get the hang of it. If you want more help just ask :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Are you confident with standard long division/finding factors? That's what's needed here

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ampmm

I've gotten some numbers and letters but I don't know what any of them represent

Ok can you have a watch of this and see if you understand it and we'll work from there.

http://www.khanacademy.org/math/algebra/polynomials/dividing_polynomials/v/algebraic-long-division

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭poggy

The first thing you need to do is make sure ya know what you are looking for and what operations will give you what you want with what you have.

Here you have a factor of a polynomial there for long division will give you a remaining factor.

here is and example of long division http://www.sosmath.com/algebra/factor/fac01/fac01.html

the remaining factor should be in terms of a and b.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

poggy wrote: »
    The first thing you need to do is make sure ya know what you are looking for and what operations will give you what you want with what you have.

Here you have a factor of a polynomial there for long division will give you a remaining factor.

here is and example of long division http://www.sosmath.com/algebra/factor/fac01/fac01.html

the remaining factor should be in terms of a and b.

Hope this helps.
    I like that link :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ampmm

Thanks for all your help guys,

I tried to do the long division way there and now after getting as far as dividing x+(a-1) I've got (and after changing the signs)

+x(5a-2)-b
    +ax(a-1) -2(a-1)

Am I completely wrong or does anyone know where I wemt wrong?

I wish I could just send a pic of my work, would make life so much easier :p

May have made a mistake but you are nearly there well done. Here's mine-not sure if its fully correct as I'm rushing away now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

ampmm wrote: »
    Thanks for all your help guys,

I tried to do the long division way there and now after getting as far as dividing x+(a-1) I've got (and after changing the signs)

+x(5a-2)-b
    +ax(a-1) -2(a-1)

Am I completely wrong or does anyone know where I wemt wrong?

I wish I could just send a pic of my work, would make life so much easier :p
    The answer at the back is a=1 - 1/2b which is what I got apart from the wrong sign. You have the answer (only the sign is wrong according to the answer at the back).
    You let
    -b = -2(a-1) and work out the brackets. You only need to do this one because you're only asked to express a in terms of b.
    So -b=-2a+2,
    2a = 2 + b
    A = 2+b/2(all over 2) which is the same as 1 + b/2.

Advertisement