Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what heating system

• 22-01-2013 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Im hoping to start building a storey and a half 2700 sq.ft. house in the next few weeks. Am totally confused as to which heating system to put in.

Need to keep costs as reasonable as possible. Don't have the luxury of putting v.high costs in now and saving in the future. Am hoping to insulate as well as possible (funds permitting) and put in lower outlay cost heating option.

The easy(cheap/less risk in short term) option seems to be to put in oil + a solid fuel stove with a back boiler + solar panels to meet building regulations. I'd rather not have the solid fuel stove but are there any other reasonably priced options out there? Would an air-water heat pump with LST radiators be efficient enough and not have huge electricity bills?

I know people have done huge amounts of research on this and would really appreciate any advice. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Im hoping to start building a storey and a half 2700 sq.ft. house in the next few weeks. Am totally confused as to which heating system to put in.

Need to keep costs as reasonable as possible. Don't have the luxury of putting v.high costs in now and saving in the future. Am hoping to insulate as well as possible (funds permitting) and put in lower outlay cost heating option.

The easy(cheap/less risk in short term) option seems to be to put in oil + a solid fuel stove with a back boiler + solar panels to meet building regulations. I'd rather not have the solid fuel stove but are there any other reasonably priced options out there? Would an air-water heat pump with LST radiators be efficient enough and not have huge electricity bills?

I know people have done huge amounts of research on this and would really appreciate any advice. Thanks
    Provisional BER done ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 self_builder

Looking into getting one done now from advice on other posts. Would appreciate all avenues of advice however....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Condenser

If you're considering a heat pump do not go cutting corners and putting in rads. Put in a proper low temp system such as underfloor or wall heating. Also your electricity bills depend on your equipment yes, but far moreso on your installer, their installation practices and their knowledge of heat pumps. I know its hard for a layman to know exactly how truthful what he's being told is but I think most people can identify when someone knows their stuff and someones a spoofer. In such an important purchase you shouldn't let price be your guide. There might be 2-3k in the difference between the system you know you should get and the one your wallet likes but in something so integral to the build its small change. A wrong choice could cost you 5 times that in the long run.

Wall heating?

Wall heating?

8mm or 12mm underfloor heating pipe that is plastered into your wall. More popular on refurbishments where excavating floors isn't an option but used in new builds also. Can also come as part of a prefabricated fermacell panel (alternative to plaster board) but its expensive.

• Advertisement

Thanks Condenser. Dont think that will be an option for us. If we did go for underfloor - and we're very nervous about getting this done correctly not to mention the expense - would you be recommending air to water?

Thanks Condenser. Dont think that will be an option for us. If we did go for underfloor - and we're very nervous about getting this done correctly not to mention the expense - would you be recommending air to water?

I would only use Air to water if other types of heat pump weren't possible. You should exhaust the other options first. You'll get better running costs, longer service life, higher reliability, won't need defrosts and because most air to water units have their compressor in the outside unit they have to run a sump heater to keep the oil warm to keep its viscosity down. That can consume about 200w per hr so is an expense that must be considered. They are a decent option if you simply don't have the room to site a collector or drill a bore (which is rare).

Thanks Condenser. Definitely cannot afford geothermal at present prices so that is not an option for now. The reason I'm not keen on stoves is the need to refill regularly and the dust/cleanliness or lack thereof. It would be in an open plan kitchen/living area. Anyone any other alternatives? Thanks

Advertisement