Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curious about a few housing estates

Options
  • 22-01-2013 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

I'm not planning to buy a house for at least 18 months/2 years but am browsing through daft, day dreaming a bit ;)

What are the houses in any of these estates like in terms of building quality and dynamics (families/students/renters etc.)

Bracken Grove - a school friend who's from Kilcohan used to say her estate was pretty rough, are the new, nearby estates a lot better or not so much? From the little I've seen they seem to have a lot of houses almost squashed together, not many green areas etc. though I haven't seen much of the place

Kill St. Lawrence - these houses seem to be advertised an awful lot. Did they build too many/not get enough demand? Would it be a well laid out estate?

Bishopsfield - I saw a nice house advertised on Daft but even though it was a 4 bed detached, the €275k price seemed a little high compared to nearby estates - perhaps it is particularly nice there?!

Also interested in any info on Cnoc Caislean and Hazelbourne in/near Cleaboy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

araic88 wrote: »
    I'm not planning to buy a house for at least 18 months/2 years but am browsing through daft, day dreaming a bit ;)

What are the houses in any of these estates like in terms of building quality and dynamics (families/students/renters etc.)

Bracken Grove - a school friend who's from Kilcohan used to say her estate was pretty rough, are the new, nearby estates a lot better or not so much? From the little I've seen they seem to have a lot of houses almost squashed together, not many green areas etc. though I haven't seen much of the place

Kill St. Lawrence - these houses seem to be advertised an awful lot. Did they build too many/not get enough demand? Would it be a well laid out estate?

Bishopsfield - I saw a nice house advertised on Daft but even though it was a 4 bed detached, the €275k price seemed a little high compared to nearby estates - perhaps it is particularly nice there?!

Im living in Bracken grove been here since the estate was built, lived in avondale across the road previous to here so I have been in the area years. Bracken grove as an estate is great, most of the kids are about 10ish as alot of families moved in and were first time buyers. The estate is very quiet never have anyone causing trouble at all, no scumbags or anything. There is a residents committee setup in the last few years, they look after the grass cutting and stuff there also looking at doing some events for kids during the summer if they can afford it.

The hill has a nice amount of green area you could have a decent match up on it if you wanted a fella even plays golf sometimes :confused:

Houses themselves are very nice never had any issues here at all literally. Compared to the old house in avondale its miles apart. Much much much warmer and bigger.

Dynamics of the estate are id say 80% owner lived in with familes, 19% rented to families, 1% rented to students(I think theres maybe 2).

Overall Im glad to be living here. I'll let some else talk about the other estates I dont know much about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

Great, thanks for the reply :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Bracken Grove are decent sized houses, fairly settled estate and no real problems from what I can see, I have some family living there and they love it. The 4 beds have a good size kitchen and sitting room too and when you open the double doors between them it gives a nice open plan feel.

I have a place in Bishopsfield and its a lovely quiet estate where mine is located. I think it was the first or second phase on the right as you drive in. Houses are very well insulated and the rooms in them are a good size. Though I did prefer the 3 bed houses for room size over the 4 bed, simply because I couldn't see the benefit of sacrificing the space for 2 en suite bathrooms in the 4 bed when 1 is sufficient when you add a main bathroom and downstairs toilet.

The only complaint I heard from others in the Bishopsfield development was that the handles on the windows were a bit flimsy but I haven't had any issues.

I like the fact that you have a 2 car bay at the front of the houses, rather than one car behind the other, the utility room for the washing machine and additional storage, the proximity to Tesco and the Ardkeen stores are all plus points for me.

There is also the bus stop is just outside the front of the estate if you need it.

As for the prices of some of the houses there, I don't think some people have realised that there is a recession on there and that the property bubble has burst long ago, sure up until recently, I believe there was a 4-bed house for sale with an asking price of over €400k, madness :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    ... sure up until recently, I believe there was a 4-bed house for sale with an asking price of over €400k, madness :rolleyes:

Ha yeah some people are living in 2007 I think :p Any ideas what it went for in the end?! If it's not still for sale :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Ha yeah some people are living in 2007 I think :p Any ideas what it went for in the end?! If it's not still for sale :pac:

No idea to be honest, I think it might have been pulled from the market or else relisted with a different more realistic price..

• Advertisement
Advertisement