Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taking 5 consecutive course days.

• 22-01-2013 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

I'm a primary school teacher and I've been invited to a friend's wedding in Bali on the 3rd October. Obviously it's during term time so would have to take time off. (The downside of teachers holidays!!) As far as I know if I do two summer courses I can get 5 course days. To make it worth my while (cost, 20 hour flight etc) I'd need to go for at least a week therefore take the 5 course days consecutively.

I was just wondering if any other teachers have done anything similar ie taken time off during term time. Is it possible to take 5 course days consecutively? Will my class have sub cover if I do? Are there any other options?

I just want to know what my options are before I even approach my principal.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

You won't have sub cover. Course days aren't covered. I'd check with your principal before booking in case it over las with someone else. It shouldn't be a problem , those days are for you to do as you wish.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I wouldn't agree that "it shouldn't be a problem."Your class will be divided into other rooms for 5 days so you may not make yourself too popular with the rest of the staff. If you have staff goodwill to do this and your principal allows you, good luck to you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Two courses won't get you 5 EPV days. It depends on the combination of courses you do. If I recall correctly:

- One face to face course = 3 days
    - One online course = 3 days
    - One face to face and one online course / two face to face courses = 4 days
    - Two face to face courses and one online = 5 days
    - Three face to face courses = 5 days

You will need to speak to your principal. 5 days is a lot to take in a row when no sub cover is provided. What class do you teach? Are they capable of working independently? I'd say some principals wouldn't be happy with such a request, but yours very well could be.

I had to take three days in a row earlier this year, and for the amount of work it involved before hand you'd wonder if it was worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

I am pretty sure the max you can get now is 4 course days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭lily09

I dont know if its an option but would unpaid leave suit you. I took some for a a honeymoon as I work in a small school and couldnt expect the others to take my class. Anyway with taxes etc it only cost me 5o% of my take home pay. Was worth every penny for peace of mind. You will be paying to do courses anyway.You could lengthen it slighltly with a course day on either side to give you a 10 day break, trust me that flight is pretty tough.
    By the way we cant take that many course days together.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Is unpaid leave not a break in service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭lily09

Not once its sanctioned by the Board of Management. Thats what the INTO told me, hope to God thats right!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Orlaporla

I have a feeling that 4 might be the max too, I was hoping I was wrong though. My biggest concern is my class, 5 days is a long time to be without their teacher! Don't think my staff would have a problem having them but I know how much prep has to go into leaving one course day so preparing for 5 could be more trouble than it's worth. Also it's not till next school year so I don't know what class I'll have.

The unpaid leave option is something I'll look into. I spoke to some of my colleagues and one told me that she took four days a few years ago but paid a sub privately for two of them. Might be a runner. At least I've a good bit of time to think about what to do.

A lot to consider!

Thanks for the suggestions/advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭cbee20

5 days is the max allowed for doing 3 courses. It seems a shame to pay someone to teach your class when you are entitled to the days, especially when you have to pay to do the courses in the first place. Also, you take the children from other classes when their teachers are taking their course days so don't feel guilty when your class is divided up. Perhaps if you had a learning support role next year, it might help? Enjoy the trip.

Sorry,am going to take issue with the "if it was learning support ,it would help" comment. The children attending support classes are those already struggling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement