Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please on spec for external CCTV system.

Options
  • 22-01-2013 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Having recieved two quotes for an external CCTV system for my business premises can someone please assist me to compare these quotes by telling me what spec the cameras (lenses), recording equipment etc should be.
    Both quotes are from reputable companies in the Security Industry (Banks / PO etc) but the quotes are vague "supply and fit" and so on. I would like to go back to them armed with the relevant specs that apply to such instillations so as to decide which company I might go with.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Moving to Home Security Systems
    You should really be getting more detail on specs including data sheets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Have a look at this, page 16. This should be the absolute minimum that you get, ideally the quote/sdp will detail each camera, give specs, purpose of camera, area to be covered etc.
    A low value quote I did recently for 3 cameras came to 4 pages

Can you post up what you got

• Registered Users Posts: 40 SQUINTING WINDO

Quote Company One

Install6 X External IP 66 dome cameras with wide angle lens, these cameras will be

installedonto the external of the premises as per agreed and listed below.

1. Front of Post office looking towardsalcove

2. Corner of Alcove looking back towardsentrance door to residence

3. Front of Post Office looking at shopentrance

4. Rear side entrance looking towards rearyard

5. Rear Side Entrance half way down onleft looking back towards rear yard

6. Rear wall covering rear yard

2. Install 1 X17 inch monitor on the entrance wall left hand side as you enter the shop

displayingan image from all external cameras.

CCTV Recording System

3. One 8 Channel1TB digital recorder to be installed in stores room along with a 17 inch

flat screen monitor torecord all new cameras on-site.

Quote Company Two

CCTV Proposal

Item No. 1 – New

Colourexternal vandal proof CCTV dome camera complete with IR illumination

Located;To view the front of the post office

Item No. 2 – New

Located;To view the front of the shop

Item No. 3 – New

Located;To view the front of the shop, located over the door

Item No. 4 – New

Located;To view the side entrance gate

Item No. 5 – New

Located;To view the rear yard

Control Equipment

Item No. 6 – New

16channel Digital Video Recorder complete with 6tb of storage

Located;Office at the rear of the shop

Item No. 7 – New

DVRsecure lock box

Item No. 8 – New

19”Colour LCD Monitor

Item No. 9 – New

Multioutput 12v Power Supply Unit

Please note, DVRto be connected to a broadband connection for remote monitoring of the CCTVcameras

by theclient. Broadband and mobile phone App to be supplied by the client.

Power Supply / Services Schedul
    Please provide, at your expense, for the followingitems:
    All mains points asmay be required.
    Broadband connection

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Is that literally the way the quote was sent to you?
    There is not enough info on either of these quotes.
    Both very amateurish . Did you get any data sheets & detailed specs attached.
    Also where is the second guy going with a 6TB recorder?

Koolkid apart from the general terms and conditions I have copied and pasted the relevant information sent to me by the two companies, and as you can see, there is nothing here to compare. And with both quotes coming in over €3000.00
    including vat, without some assistance and information about what the spec of this equipment should be I would be buying "a pig in a poke". Again I would be grateful to anyone who could let me know what the spec these items should be so that I can go back to the companies asking for their specs and then I can compare each against the information I have recieved from "Boards"
    (Companies..CH_ _ and STA_ _ _ _ )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

The quotes are lacking in detail and without seeing the site it's very hard to give specs.
    Quote 1 needs to detail each camera, going by that description then the camera could be a cheap fixed lens IR camera
    Quote 2 is contradicting himself "Colour external vandal proof CCTV dome camera complete with IR illumination". This just does not make sense as IR will only work in black and white.
    Cameras should be detailed as set out below. Recording resolution, frame rate, how long the dvr will record for etc etc, these should all be included.
    Time to get more quotes

Camera 1
    Camera: XYZ⅓” EX HAD CCD. High Resolution. Colour / B & W. 12 Volt D.C. The camera automatically switches to black and white mode when the ambient light level drops below 6 Lux.
    Lens: 3.5 mm – 18 mm Vari-Focal.
    Resolution: 600 TV Lines
    Min Illumination: 0.01 Lux
    Max Illumination: 50,000 Lux
    Iris: Electronic and Auto
    Mounting: Metro Integrated weatherproof housing and wall bracket, with sun visor. Designed to
    withstand temperatures from – 10° to 40°C.
    Viewing angle: 35° to 85°
    View: Approaches to the front of the building from the right, and main entrance door.
    Location: To be mounted on front right hand wall of building at a height of 3 m.
    Power: Local 12 V DC Power Supply Unit, located above the false ceiling through the wall
    adjacent to the camera.

Thank you Jnealon for your reply as you can see I have nothing to compare with. I persume the spec you gave me is "Industry Standard" for an external system. Ml.

Advertisement