Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New rescue dog bad car traveller

• 22-01-2013 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭

My new 10 month old rescue dog is a very bad traveller.

Within moments of placing him in car he starts drooling very heavily and if we drive he quickly vommits.

Can I cure this or should I just accept he is Ava's traveller and refrain on taking him on journeys?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

My border collie was the same when I got her. I started feeding her beside the car,then feeding her in the car with me sitting beside her & the door open,
    then with me standing outside the car,then with the door closed.then with the engine running but the car not moving.
    It took around 2 months to make her comfortable with being in the car. Only when she was happy & relaxed with one step,would I move on to the next step.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

fathead82 wrote: »
    My border collie was the same when I got her. I started feeding her beside the car,then feeding her in the car with me sitting beside her & the door open,
    then with me standing outside the car,then with the door closed.then with the engine running but the car not moving.
    It took around 2 months to make her comfortable with being in the car. Only when she was happy & relaxed with one step,would I move on to the next step.
    Thanks, funny mine is a border collie too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

Our rescue dog was the same when we first got her...she hated the car! we had a 2 hr trip home with her constantly streaming from both ends and the trip ended up taking us about 4 hours!
    we tried not to feed her if we needed to take her in the car and we started out slow with her, just taking her on quick spins to the shop etc..
    she soon got used to being in the car and now she loves it. you only have to mention the word and she goes crazy with excitement! She will happily sit in the car on her own while we do the food shop etc than be left at home! She just sits in the drivers seat watching the world go by!
    we changed to a bigger car during the summer and we thought we were back to square one again as she was shivering and panting in the new car. we soon realised alot of it was down to the engine being louder than previous car and cos she could not see out the side windows in the back. But after few weeks she's was used to it again and back to her old self sitting on her booster cushion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Thanks, funny mine is a border collie too :)

They are great dogs,very quick to learn & always ready for action. Our one loves the car now & goes & waits beside the door whenever she sees me picking up the keys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

fathead82 wrote: »
    They are great dogs,very quick to learn & always ready for action. Our one loves the car now & goes & waits beside the door whenever she sees me picking up the keys.

My one does the same!!! Also its hard to get her past the car door even when going for a walk. They are the funniest dogs ever lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

My own dog was the same but he eventually got used to it. Just try not to feed him before he's due to go in the car and crack a window for some air and try to drive smooth :D. By only taking him on short spins and always ending up somewhere that he loves such as the park, beach or wherever, hopefully he'll get past it.

Can I just ask, how is your son around him? Is he still terrified of dogs and having nightmares after the last incident?

Advertisement