Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Router as Repeater

Options
  • 22-01-2013 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

not sure if this is the right spot for this but anyway!

I have UPC broadband. Router is upstairs as i needed the existing cable for sky. Moving cables etc is not an option. I have a second router (Netgear wgr614v10) which i would like to use as a way to connect my devices in the sitting room with LAN connectors. I have used the folowing setups but cant get it to work.

UPC
    SSID Home
    SSID broadcast YES
    IP 192.168.1.1
    turned on wireless repeating and entered MAC address of Netgear
    WEP encryption on

Netgear
    SSID Home
    SSId Broadcast No
    Set up as wireless repeater IP address 192.168.1.11 (also tried 192.168.2.1)
    Entered UPC router MAC address
    WEP off and on

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Does your Netgear have "Client Mode" listed as an option under wireless?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Does your Netgear have "Client Mode" listed as an option under wireless?

Cheers for the reply, i pretty sure that it does not? Thought thats what wireless repeating was :confused:

ddwrt has that but not avail for my router! Am I bunted?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Client will connect it to the other router and depending on the firmware may let all the LAN connection onto the network.

If you enable "Repeater" it should expend the connection but may no share it via the LAN ports.
    M5 wrote: »
    Cheers for the reply, i pretty sure that it does not? Thought thats what wireless repeating was :confused:

ddwrt has that but not avail for my router! Am I bunted?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Client will connect it to the other router and depending on the firmware may let all the LAN connection onto the network.

If you enable "Repeater" it should expend the connection but may no share it via the LAN ports.

Just had a look at this again

in the wireless repeating menu there is an option to "disable wireless client association"
    Wireless_Repeating_Function.jpg
    that must mean client mode is enabled by default...

wonder if there is something else im not doing correctly

Advertisement