Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An post warning

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Nonamigo

Just today I posted some parfume as presents to relatives to russia and they accepted it at anpost with no problems

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

im glad my bulk orders from china back in the day had been labeled toy doll houses

having 100 euro worth of juice destroyed would have been quite irritating

bart from thebestshop siad it's international only anyway so we're good for ireland to ireland. kinda screws any of the irish websites though and if they're relying only on the irish market, we could see a couple fold

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭republic of goon

it's only international outbound post. I went to the post office last week and posted liquid to sir digby no problem but had another package for my bro in manchester. was ask if there was liquid in the manchester one and that they no longer posted liquids and if they were found they'd b destroyed. Internal is still fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

Had alot of trouble ordering e-liquid from china recently, acording to the vendor customs are x-raying all parcels and not allowing liquids through, at least we have some good vendors here:)

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

As many of you may know, I'm doing this. Should I expect any problems with the package comming from the UK? Should I register the package or leave it unregistered.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

If it helps, I just had an order of liquids come through from Mom and Pops Vapour in the States, no problems. Package marked 'Aromatherapy'. How terribly true.

Did take a while, was about to open the bottles and drink them by the time they arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Well im going to be ordering stuff from Vaporcast next month so hopefully i have the same experance as the order will be over €100

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Would a possible shhhhhneaky way to get around this be to use something like parcel motel? An added €3.50 to the postage, but you may get the free delivery thing as the parcel motel is based up north... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

If An Post want to get really snitty about it...
    http://www.royalmail.com/irish-republic
    Restrictions...
    "Tobacco and manufactured tobacco substitutes."

So, inbound mail can be caught by liquid ban and also restrictions on nicotine extract, if they choose to interpret it that way. Make no mistake, as an arm of the Government, An Post will act the maggot if tobacco revenue drops from too much vaping going on and under directions of the High Heid Yin in the Finance Ministry will attempt to strangle the loophole.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭kiffy

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Restrictions...

So, inbound mail can be caught by liquid ban and also restrictions on nicotine extract, if they choose to interpret it that way. Make no mistake, as an arm of the Government, An Post will act the maggot if tobacco revenue drops from too much vaping going on and under directions of the High Heid Yin in the Finance Ministry will attempt to strangle the loophole.
    Didn't spot anything in the restrictions Dan about e-juice or any catagory it might fall under, most of us will be getting in juice at zero nic and adding our own nic to suit the mg strength we want, that's not to say it won't be added in time to the list under some form or other.

My Chinese is coming on great, lessons are expensive though "wah u wan"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

Restrictions...

B******s the lot of them! Tobacco - I get it but its substitutes? I wonder just how long their little substitute crackdown has been in place?
    I would guess it's a very very recent thing.

Three weeks and three days since I stopped smoking. I feel alive, the same as I felt at 14 before I became hooked. I can breathe and I can sleep without the panic of not smoking again for 8+ hours.
    I would chain smoke at night, almost 'stockpiling' the fix for when I'd be asleep.
    I'd even get up again, in the dead of night, just to smoke, one after another, after another.
    A puff or two on my PV now and I'm more than satisfied. I don't feel the need to vape all that's in my atty, as I would finish a whole cigarette right down to the butt.

I was not much different to a junkie and it is they, the clowns at Dáil Éireann and such other fools who made it legal for me to become such an addict and now they want to remove my right to transit to a cleaner, safer, healthier alternative just to force me back to paying them almost €10 a day.
    They'll probably lower the age of smoking next.

Now I'm mad. Really mad :mad: and on that note I'm off to compose a really mad, angry letter to MEP pr!ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

csi vegas wrote: »
    B******s the lot of them! Tobacco - I get it but its substitutes? I wonder just how long their little substitute crackdown has been in place?
    I would guess it's a very very recent thing.
    Once vaping gets popular enough and fag smoking goes down enough, leading to a drop in tobacco revenue, the Govt will look at taxing nic juice of all sorts. EU oars notwithstanding, it would be a foolish govt that ignored a lucrative revenue stream and it would feel justified, for after all, are these not the people who were paying tobacco tax before they vaped?
    Arm in arm with this will be an enforced restriction on the amount and strength of personal imports of nic juice - can't have the entire populace trying to evade paying their duty, now can we?
    This is the way the the b&stards' minds work.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

kiffy wrote: »
    Didn't spot anything in the restrictions Dan about e-juice or any catagory it might fall under, most of us will be getting in juice at zero nic and adding our own nic to suit the mg strength we want, that's not to say it won't be added in time to the list under some form or other.

My Chinese is coming on great, lessons are expensive though "wah u wan"

It's in there alright, as you say it's under Restrictions - the 'Tobacco and manufactured tobacco substitutes' would most definitely mean e-juice.

How will we be able to get liquid at all (even containing 0% nic) in to the country?
    The liquid ban is I know in effect for quite a while already but it's really only now that they are going to start clamping down, with the sole purpose of intercepting e-juice.

The same goes for 'adding own nic' - in what form? Again, liquid?
    I know people here are talking about 'extracting' it themselves from leaves but really, can this be done and tobacco is itself very expensive.
    Vast quantities would be needed I imagine, in order to extract anything useful.

The seasoned posters of Vaping seem pretty optimistic about it all and what they'll do if and when but hard as I try to imagine possibilities, I really can't see a way round it.
    Talk of Chinese suppliers etc - it kind of sounds un-do-able :(

What is the procedure regarding having something sent from overseas by courier?
    Extortionate I know but (and excuse me for being so clueless here) does everything imported via courier have to pass through An Post and Customs sorting warehouses?
    Or do they have their own warehouses (UPS etc) and restrict/screen there instead?
    I'm curious because I wonder how e-juice vendors might survive.
    And how I might get my menthol. My lovely, lovely menthol.

What is the procedure regarding having something sent from overseas by courier?
    Extortionate I know but (and excuse me for being so clueless here) does everything imported via courier have to pass through An Post and Customs sorting warehouses?
    Or do they have their own warehouses (UPS etc) and restrict/screen there instead?
    I'm curious because I wonder how e-juice vendors might survive.
    And how I might get my menthol. My lovely, lovely menthol.

I bought an 808-D2 PCC from one of the chinese crowds last year, the PCC cost me €16 (€28 with DHL charge), by the time I unwrapped it total cost was €64.
    Got done for customs tax and another charge from DHL, shower of Basturds.

Also dont know how they can class e-juice as "'Tobacco and manufactured tobacco substitutes' as it's made from PG/VG and flavourings, with no nic in it, they cant touch it.

Once vaping gets popular enough and fag smoking goes down enough, leading to a drop in tobacco revenue, the Govt will look at taxing nic juice of all sorts. EU oars notwithstanding, it would be a foolish govt that ignored a lucrative revenue stream and it would feel justified, for after all, are these not the people who were paying tobacco tax before they vaped?
    Arm in arm with this will be an enforced restriction on the amount and strength of personal imports of nic juice - can't have the entire populace trying to evade paying their duty, now can we?
    This is the way the the b&stards' minds work.

If this will be the worst case scenario then I could live with it. This sounds possible. Because it's a rare smoker who quits cigarettes based on the cost alone. When you're addicted, cost doesn't even factor.

If (and I'm sure when, not that they care) it can be proven that you can produce a 100% pure, natural and safe e-liquid, even if the cost be close to a pack of 20, I know that people will choose the liquid over the leaves, hands down.

You're right about the revenue. Speaking as a very new convert and the last person to ever even consider quitting, I know this will not be a niche market. It will turn mainstream.

Right too about imposing personal restrictions on the individual.
    So long as it's not strictly confined to the discretion of a G.P's surgery,
    I could live with that also.

kiffy wrote: »
    I bought an 808-D2 PCC from one of the chinese crowds last year, the PCC cost me €16 (€28 with DHL charge), by the time I unwrapped it total cost was €64.
    Got done for customs tax and another charge from DHL, shower of Basturds.

Also dont know how they can class e-juice as "'Tobacco and manufactured tobacco substitutes' as it's made from PG/VG and flavourings, with no nic in it, they cant touch it.

But not all e-juice is nic-free. Please don't tell me I have been vaping nic-free Liqua for the past three weeks!
    Don't go telling me I was to add nic concentrate or something! :eek:

Besides though (I think I'm having a withdrawal now THANKS) they can't be sure whether a juice contains it or not without opening to test, which if it were allowed nic-free, it would be impossible to determine each and every single bottle.
    Manufacturers could then deliberately label it as nic-free if this were the case (mmm what a sexy fantasy in the world where I govern!).

Either way though, it's still a liquid.
    If they did (and I very much doubt they would) test all bottles coming through in the future, the rigmarole involved would result in x3 the cost of what you originally paid (like your poor self with your PCC) and months waiting on it too.

Worst case scenarios. It's horrible to even have to think this way :(

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

But not all e-juice is nic-free. Please don't tell me I have been vaping nic-free Liqua for the past three weeks!
    Don't go telling me I was to add nic concentrate or something! :eek:

Besides though (I think I'm having a withdrawal now THANKS) they can't be sure whether a juice contains it or not without opening to test, which if it were allowed nic-free, it would be impossible to determine each and every single bottle.
    Manufacturers could then deliberately label it as nic-free if this were the case (mmm what a sexy fantasy in the world where I govern!).

Either way though, it's still a liquid.
    If they did (and I very much doubt they would) test all bottles coming through in the future, the rigmarole involved would result in x3 the cost of what you originally paid (like your poor self with your PCC) and months waiting on it too.

Worst case scenarios. It's horrible to even have to think this way :(

Just because he ordered nic free doesn't mean you did.

jamie72 wrote: »
    Just because he ordered nic free doesn't mean you did.

I know but still...a liquid...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

Not entirely sure this is in effect yet, ordered and received today 18 bottles of juice from inawara and they posted it from Poland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

It's posting it out of Ireland DB, and it's the usual Irish "maybe, probably not, but maybe" approach. Apparently it's been going on the last 11 years because of 9/11. Talk about hysteria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

grindle wrote: »
    It's posting it out of Ireland DB, and it's the usual Irish "maybe, probably not, but maybe" approach. Apparently it's been going on the last 11 years because of 9/11. Talk about hysteria.

oh right, can't understand why 1 way and not the other, oh well I got my juice and that's all that matters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Because it's the kind of half-baked arse-biscuit idea some brainless pleb politicians come up with all the time. Reasoning has no place in politics.

oh right, can't understand why 1 way and not the other, oh well I got my juice and that's all that matters :)
    Lets just hope none of the other EU's postal services brings in such rules, we'd be caught then. Have to order from outside the EU or cost a bomb to have everything sent via couriers.

Advertisement