Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Expectations

• 22-01-2013 11:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

I swam competitively as a teenager and did quite well though never made it internationally (in the days before there was a 50m pool in Ireland). I got back into it last year and joined a masters club which I'm very enthusiastic about after 2 decades of an unhealthy lifestyle.

Back in the day my pb for 1500 was 17:27 and in comparison tonight i did a set of 14 x 100 on 2 mins clocking in at 1:20 for half of them and around 1:25 for the later half.

My question is what sort of expectations should I have in getting my times down given that Ive been training 2 times a week for a year to get to where I am now and im in my early 40s?

Anyone with similar experience?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Imagine what you could achieve if you upped your swimming to 3 days....You have the training and technique from younger days, you may have to tweak a few things, you including drills in your sets?

That's a great time for a 1500. Maybe try and lessen your rest time between the 100's to 10 seconds rather than 20 seconds.

Keep it up your doing great...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Freddio

Thanks mad_m

The sets / drills are whatever we are told to do by the coach. The training sessions are limited to an hour unlike some of the sessions i see clocking up in the swim log but I don't think Id be able to do two hours at 80% to 90% effort which the coaches are getting us to do for 45mins.

I do take on your advice about the extra session though.

Thanks for the reply

What times are you hoping to get down to? Where are you in lane as regards to the leader?

When I'm behind someone in lane who is faster than me I'm always trying to keep in touch with them, over the years I've passed people out or got up a notch in the lane. Always striving to get up, gives me something to focus on.

Are you hoping to do any of the sea swims this year?

If you do the extra set, maybe do up a set for yourself so your not limited to your coaches session. I know it can be hard to swim on your own, but getting drill sessions and leg work in will give you that extra bit to get your times down. Or maybe instead of doing an extra session maybe do some dryland training. I can honestly say, dryland training combined with swim sessions gets your times down, plus strengthen your core for swimming.

Okane on here would probably better advise you, as he is from a competitive back ground like yourself.

Its not so much as hoping to get down to a certain time, more what would be a good benchmark given the circumstances.

In the training sessions i would be up with the better masters swimmers but when I see masters swimmers in here talking about national record attempts, I am thinking that that is a fantasy for me, but who wouldn't like say they hold a national record.

Don't be silly, the records are for their age group. Who knows what you could achieve.

I set out a goal last year to win a sea race, Or at least give it my best shot. I won one. My name is now on the cup for life so was chuffed. Will be handing it back in June for another swimmer to try and win it. I swim with some great master swimmers, one who has swam in the Liffey since he was 12 years old and he Won it in 2009 after swimming it for 40 years, he never gave up hope of winning the cup that nearly all swimmers regard as the holy grail....

• Advertisement

Congratulations on the win last year.

I do like the sea swims but to me its against the the sea and it's waves and temperatures rather than the other swimmers especially because the handicaps can never be 100% fair.

Freddio wrote: »
    Congratulations on the win last year.

I do like the sea swims but to me its against the the sea and it's waves and temperatures rather than the other swimmers especially because the handicaps can never be 100% fair.

Well hopefully this year the handicaps change.....of course people rope but what can you do....

Anyone interested the Liffey is on the 24th of August this year....and harbour is on the 8th of September...

Hey what about looking into doing Lough Dan swim, it's a 5k or a 10 k and your times are officially recorded....Flat lake water, but can be cold.

Would definitely have to up the distance training to consider that but 5k would be a good target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

I swam competitively as a teenager and did quite well though never made it internationally (in the days before there was a 50m pool in Ireland). I got back into it last year and joined a masters club which I'm very enthusiastic about after 2 decades of an unhealthy lifestyle.

Back in the day my pb for 1500 was 17:27 and in comparison tonight i did a set of 14 x 100 on 2 mins clocking in at 1:20 for half of them and around 1:25 for the later half.

My question is what sort of expectations should I have in getting my times down given that Ive been training 2 times a week for a year to get to where I am now and im in my early 40s?

Anyone with similar experience?

Firstly well done in getting back into the pool. Looking at your PB, great times. You obviously had an excellent stroke to average 1.09.8/100m for your 1500m time. No doubt you still have that stroke or rather you should know how to 'feel' the water.

In terms of getting your times down, first thing get your stroke back. Get a good nice long stroke length. After this, reduce your stroke count. A good swimmer should be hitting 12-15 FC strokes per 25m.

Reviewing your training, working at 80-90% during each session is not a good idea. I coach the swim club in Killarney and we would only have them at this level of effort for a few weeks before a gala before bring them back down. Should be training at 65-75% for the majority of your training. Get your endurance/conditioning into a good state. Do plenty of kicking drills. By all means to some speed work at the end of the session but this effort should not be held during the entire course of the 45min session.

From your current 100m times in training, that type of rest is sufficient if working at a high effort. If swimming at 65-75%, look at taking 15-20sec. Try and get into the water yourself during the week. Use these extra sessions for drills if you are not doing these during your current coached sessions.

For motivation, look at some master galas and OW swims in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭fionn_mac

In Limerick LC gala last year ~20.30 was the lead time for your age category, holding just over 1:20 / 100. (dunno what the national record is for your age) You'll never get the raw speed of your youth back or get close to that time but wiith your background I'd say breaking 20min is well achieveable from where you are now and a good target.

The longer OW swims 5k+ are a good motivation, they force you to go longer in the pool, do extra rather than getting out after 3k (like okane's nice 8.5k sessions :eek:), over time you'll find you are be able to hold your 100's time for longer with ease and they'll come down. Shorten the rest as suggested - 20x100 off 1.40/45 etc, hold the 1.25 or whatever rather than fading off. I'd say three sessions a week should be the minimum.

You've the hard part done changing lifestyle etc and getting the bug back:) enjoy

• Advertisement

Thank you everyone for your advice.

It seems the consensus is - less is more or more of less. If I did a sub 20 min 1500 I'd be delighted so the gauntlet is down I think between that and a 5k ow swim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

Thank you everyone for your advice.

It seems the consensus is - less is more or more of less. If I did a sub 20 min 1500 I'd be delighted so the gauntlet is down I think between that and a 5k ow swim.

Limerick master LC swim gala on the 1st and 2nd of March. Nice short term goal for a 1500m swim. Go on, DO IT!!

Advertisement