Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adopting a new team for Boards.ie

• 23-01-2013 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭

So the Go Ahead Eagles adoption has failed. I'm guessing if this concept were to work people would want to have the ability to at least see the side play a couple of times. I'm guessing a side from the Bundesliga or Ligue 1 would fit that criteria. Would anybody be interested in adopting another side again?

If we were to do it I'd be hugely in favour of the Bundesliga. It's a league that's getting stronger, the matches are available easily on EPSN and on the net ( ;) ) and the coverage is excellent. The offical site is full of stats and really is very well done.

But if anybody is interested maybe they should throw their submission down below with a small bit of detail on the club. Then if the interest is there we could have a poll and select the club. I'm not a huge follower of the Bundesliga and it could be an interesting way of getting into it and expanding my own football knowledge.

Anybody interested or is this a dead duck?

Are you interested in adopting a new team for Boards.ie? 95 votes

Yes
    0%
    No, it's a dead duck
    44%
    The Roostermicksziedthyabadabadotolosencxtal191mercuromanITT-PatRed CrowMikeyt086frisbeefacecurry-muffGadgeWoollyRedHatarodabombIvySlayerPawwed RigDazMarzGavRedKingSlipperyPeople 42 votes
    Ah yes, the witty third option (Atari Jaguar etc.)
    55%
    Neil3030SeanehmachiavellianmequarrymanNuttzzDiddy KongL5Kingp35youcancallmeal~Rebel~delta_bravoJPAZebra35starpoolGLaDOSdobsdaveLuckyLloydXavi6bullvineFrisbee 53 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

In before LOI vs The World

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

No, it's a dead duck
    I would like to follow Ligue 1 closer. They seem to be producing a lot of good players. (Or we could wait and just support Newcastle?)

But yeah it's on TV and I'd be up for getting into a team and contributing to a thread, live match threads would be essential to get the interest I feel.

Also interested in MLS and Eredivisie but MLS has time zone issues and rarely on telly, and I already support Ajax so watch Eredivisie regularly.

We'd have to go quirky without being obscure. Ajax would actually be perfect. A club everybody knows. Regularly produces promising players. Has a big derby, De Klaasieker. Easy to watch games live, often games are midday-ish Sunday so don't clash with PL. Dennis Bergkamp and Frank de Boer with matching shirts. However I reckon most people haven't seen them kick a ball this season live except v Man City.

I'm hugely biased but just putting it out there as I think the philosophy and pureness of the club make us easy to relate to and buy into for neutral football fans.

Sure dont the team you support have/recently have a product of the Ajax academy in your squad...? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I was thinking of suggesting something similar to this but I was going to suggest a slight variation where you do almost a sponsor-type system.

Include teams from leagues across Europe - maybe France, Germany, Italy, Spain to start with - jumble them all up and each person picks a number. Whatever number you get is the team you've been allotted until the end of the season and each week each person can give a short summary on how the club got on, what players did well etc.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Omackeral wrote: »
    In before LOI vs The World

Translation - "I only posted in this thread to ****-stir".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,499 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Jesus Pompeii will have nothing on this when the LOI millitants come in..

Even though I agree with them, why not adopt an Irish team and be able to actually attend matches?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

No, it's a dead duck
    I already support an Irish team.

Lets not drag this into a LoI debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Em.... why not a team from LOI, out of interest?

Genuine question, not trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Why adopt a new team when the concept has already clearly failed?

Kicking the can down the road if ever I saw it.

Support your own team and fuck the rest of 'em I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

How about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_F.C._%28Montevideo%29

Or real answer....how many people bought Oviedo shares? Could be a starting point.

I already support an Irish team.

Lets not drag this into a LoI debate.

Let's not debate it...let's just include them in selection for who to chose?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

No, it's a dead duck
    I've no problem if people want a LoI team but why not a PL team then? Surely the idea behind it is to find a team that most can back. I can't see that happening with guys already following LoI. But if people want to get behind a LoI team then I'm all for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

8-10 wrote: »
    We'd have to go quirky without being obscure. Ajax would actually be perfect. A club everybody knows. Regularly produces promising players. Has a big derby, De Klaasieker. Easy to watch games live, often games are midday-ish Sunday so don't clash with PL. Dennis Bergkamp and Frank de Boer with matching shirts. However I reckon most people haven't seen them kick a ball this season live except v Man City.

I am in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Not sure I'll be doing this but if I was I'd only follow a second team if it didn't cost me any money so that would rule of the LOI. I'd want to watch them play most weeks with the help of a stream for example.

I've no problem if people want a LoI team but why not a PL team then? Surely the idea behind it is to find a team that most can back. I can't see that happening with guys already following LoI. But if people want to get behind a LoI team then I'm all for it.

I've no problem if people suggest PL teams, but people will say its stupid to support somebody else in the same league. It just isn't to the same extent with the LOI here. The guys following LOI won't follow either way anyway.
    Not sure I'll be doing this but if I was I'd only follow a second team if it didn't cost me any money so that would rule of the LOI. I'd want to watch them play most weeks with the help of a stream for example.

€10-15 every two weeks into a match if its a LOI team, isn't that much. Think of the pints opportunities before/after matches. Could be good for the forum. That, or I think Pats try stream matches, Dreamers could give more info though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

If it does happen that it's an LOI club, for God's sake let it be UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Its a good idea, but only if you get loads of people to support an LOI team, that is if you wanna get out from behind your computer and actually make something like this good. Bit boring just doing it for some big league team when your on a completely different landmass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

The issue with a LOI team is geography, you'd hardly expect someone like me in Donegal to be cheering on UCD or St. Pats and i'm sure most if not all of them would cheer on Finn Harps.

At least if a foreign club is picked there wouldn't be as much inter county rivalry shown?

right back to lurking

No, it's a dead duck
    danniemcq wrote: »
    The issue with a LOI team is geography, you'd hardly expect someone like me in Donegal to be cheering on UCD or St. Pats and i'm sure most if not all of them would cheer on Finn Harps.

At least if a foreign club is picked there wouldn't be as much inter county rivalry shown?

right back to lurking

Agreed. And as I say if its a team to be supported by an Internet forum, I reckon it's important to be a team where all/most games are readily available via streaming. All it needs is a superthread and the individual match thread. If it were a LOI team it would be harder to get going if we're relying on a load of strangers from around the place arranging to meet at a game. Plus it neglects all those from the rest of the country and those on boards who live abroad.

I say there's no harm giving it a go, just pick a less obscure team this year to keep interest, and lets get suggestions in and start the old graham poll to decide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Yea I like this idea

I suggest someone in the lower leagues of england...

Me i support Manchester United but have also followed Grimsby Town (currently top of the conference) since i was about 7...I'm sure everyone has a second team like that...

so hows about a team like that boardsies...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

No, it's a dead duck
    just spit balling, but someone start a game of FM13 and pick actives league from Ireland, England, Spain, Italy, France, Germany, Holland etc

Once done, let the computer pick you a random team to manage, whoever pops up we support, although if ya want to limit it to certain leagues or add more then feel free, just saying.

• Advertisement

No, it's a dead duck
    brinty wrote: »
    Yea I like this idea

I suggest someone in the lower leagues of england...

Me i support Manchester United but have also followed Grimsby Town (currently top of the conference) since i was about 7...I'm sure everyone has a second team like that...

so hows about a team like that boardsies...

Mansfield! Just for their ridiculous CEO and their massive centre back Exodus (X) and his long throws!

Can you watch the lower league games live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Go Udinese, and then by right you can support their feeder clubs Watford and Granada. Arguably one of the best scouting systems around so your always going to see some of the brightest South American talent each year.

AND a collection of boardies going to an away game would increase the away attendance by about 3000%.

They also have the best golden oldy player in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

cson wrote: »
    Why adopt a new team when the concept has already clearly failed?

Kicking the can down the road if ever I saw it.

Support your own team and fuck the rest of 'em I say.

cos people picked up a team that lets face it, were a bunch of nobodies.

very simple, if this is to work, it needs to be a local team here in Ireland. still may not and probably not will work, but at least a team that has actual fans on here, would have a better chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Surely an LOI team is less likely to take off because you're straight away alienating fans of other LOI Clubs? I guess I'd have a certain interest in following UCD or the like but in terms of the numbers game wouldn't it be a bad idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Beefy78 wrote: »
    straight away alienating fans of other LOI Clubs?

I doubt any serious fan of any LoI club is going to be involved in this ridiculous venture.

It failed once, it will fail again.

No, it's a dead duck
    Surely an LOI team is less likely to take off because you're straight away alienating fans of other LOI Clubs? I guess I'd have a certain interest in following UCD or the like but in terms of the numbers game wouldn't it be a bad idea?

Thats the main problem. Picking a "neutral" LoI team for everyone to adopt would still alienate a group.

I'm all for adopting a foreign team as its less likely to step on toes here, but the idea of adopting a LoI and maybe getting a few to games would benefit a local club which is a good thing, although the flip side to that is you'll still have people come in slating others for not supporting the team down the road instead ,choosing to adopt a new LoI team.

Its a good concept but its doomed to fail IMO.

My vote would be for an LOI team. Where do most boardies live? I am assuming Dublin is the obvious choice though I would obviously sympathise with people who don't live there. (Myself included, but I doubt Cesena will get the nod)

No, it's a dead duck
    Dublin would be the best bet in terms of demographics but again, theres loyality in the support of the Dublin teams that will ensure, and rightly so, that they wont support another LoI if it effects their own team, especially if its another team from the capital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

If it does happen that it's an LOI club, for God's sake let it be UCD.

Was just going to suggest that. Low attendances, no rivals as such so other LOI fans might get on board, play a good brand of football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

What about MLS for those who dont follow the LOI they have football interest then over the summer aswell.

Games are on ESPN and soon the new BT channels and you will find streams, also there is an app with a good highlight section for each game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

No, it's a dead duck
    How about Borussia Mönchengladbach?
    There's a name to strike fear into the hearts of your opponents. I must have seen them play once when I was young as I always think of them as a team of huge hard men.
    There are connections to Liverpool which some here might like. Their kit is green and white in keeping with the Irish thing and their third gear is very similar to Celtic.
    They came 4th in the league last year so might be on the TV in the UEFA cup at some point this year as they are playing Lazio on Valentines day. They are currently 8th in the league so a Champions League spot is probably beyond them but have a chance at the UEFA again.
    Main rivals are FC Koln. The infamous goalkeeper Harald Schumacher was a Koln player for much of his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

No, it's a dead duck
    Union Berlin.

:D

No, it's a dead duck
    What about MLS for those who dont follow the LOI they have football interest then over the summer aswell.

Games are on ESPN and soon the new BT channels and you will find streams, also there is an app with a good highlight section for each game

Seattle Sounders all the way, they get big attendances, I think the biggest in the MLS and they use the Seahawks stadium, which is impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Shame on you all, GAE 4 lyfe :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

If it's going to be a German team then it should be 'FSV Mainz 05'

Seeing as they hosted ROI v Gerogia back in 2008.

And great hosts they were

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

So the Go Ahead Eagles adoption has failed. I'm guessing if this concept were to work people would want to have the ability to at least see the side play a couple of times. I'm guessing a side from the Bundesliga or Ligue 1 would fit that criteria.

I think the biggest reason GAE adoption failed was because of the terrible idea to move it into its own subforum rather than having a super thread in this forum.

It would probably have ultimately failed anyway (other than a cute name they don't have a lot going for them) but this speeded up the failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Come on lads, its obvious here - Athlone Town!

Pros:
    - Centre of the country
    - Excellent new ground right beside the motorway
    - Good town for pints

Cons:
    - Roddy Collins

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

deccurley wrote: »
    Conman:
    - Roddy Collins

fyp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I'm sure LOI fans would have no problem being alienated if it meant more people supported the league.

Stupid idea.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Dublin would be the best bet in terms of demographics but again, theres loyality in the support of the Dublin teams that will ensure, and rightly so, that they wont support another LoI if it effects their own team, especially if its another team from the capital.

People with an existing LOI loyalty won't go for this, whoever gets picked; be it Athlone Town or FC Akzhayik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

No, it's a dead duck
    Could we not adopt 2 teams? One from the LOI and one foreign?

Although I have a growing interest in the LOI and watch games whenever they are on the box, I unfortunatly come from a county with no LOI team (as do many others) and have no allegiance to any club. I know its a pathetic reason to start following a club and will probably fail, but if you are going to have a go at it then you should really support your own league considering how poorly it is being supported already.

For a foreign team, I would suggest somewhere that gets a high percentage of Irish tourists/visitors a year. Considering many people tend to go to Spain, then a club like Malaga on the Costa del Sol or Mallorca would make sense, as people might be inclined to take in a game when over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

No, it's a dead duck
    I think this could work - but it simply couldn't be an Irish club (many already affiliated with one, lack of access to game coverage etc, wouldn't make sense for a Sligo man to support Derry City etc.) or an English club (vast majority already support one)

I think a team from a big European division would be a good idea. Ideally this would be a struggler/over achiever and not a powerhouse, but I think it's a good idea. It would expose boards members to different leagues and different styles of football, expanding their knowledge of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

How about everyone just supports the closest LOI team to them? Doesn't have to be the same one. Sounds like a good idea.

SantryRed wrote: »
    How about everyone just supports the closest LOI team to them? Doesn't have to be the same one. Sounds like a good idea.

Now there's an idea!

I think those that will find their own way to support their local team will have probably doneso by now. No initiative on Boards will assist with this.

Though the prospect of everyone meeting up as a group for pre-match pints, watching the game together, and then heading out for a few pints afterwards, could be appealing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

How about supporting Boards Team.

We play every Tuesday in Wesley college and we could do with a strong fan base to push us to a league win..................................................:p

No, it's a dead duck
    How about supporting Boards Team.

We play every Tuesday in Wesley college and we could do with a strong fan base to push us to a league win..................................................:p

Streams??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

No, it's a dead duck
    Genoa, for obvious Italia 90 reasons.

tolosenc wrote: »
    Genoa, for obvious Italia 90 reasons.

Relatively handy for me too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Streams??

Obviously.....we are on onlinefootball channel 24

No, it's a dead duck
    Obviously.....we are on onlinefootball channel 24

Book-marked.

• Advertisement