Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rib tattoo?

Options
  • 23-01-2013 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭

I've a tattoo booked in for next Friday and I read about rib tattoos being awfully painful but now that its actually happening, I'm even more nervous.

This is my first tattoo, but its not overly complicated, its just a line of lyrics, 10 words long, but I'm quite skinny, that'll obviously have an affect, right?

Should I be worried about the pain or would it be bareable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭zippygirl

hmm well, ribs are tough because if you are fairly thin then there is not a lot of "fat" between your skin and your bone which means that the nerves are more prominent which in turn means that you will "feel the pain" more as opposed to getting something done on ur stomach or butt...
    if its something you really want then you will find a way to bite through the pain! good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

Do not jump when you first feel it hit the bone my first was on the ribs at the start it was like a jackhammer on the rib cage but after 1 minute you be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Dont worry if its a small enough piece you should be grand it wont hurt to much at all I have both my ribcages done and found the first three to four hours while painful more than bearable and Im a skinny lad aswell and from the sound of your piece it shouldnt take long at all really. Relax dont be nervous :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

My first tattoo was on my ribs too! took about 2 hrs if i remember right! it is painful but not excruciating! just relax! remember to breathe and you'll be grand ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I want something on my ribs but am too much of a Pussy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Melion wrote: »
    I want something on my ribs but am too much of a Pussy

DO IT!

Op, it's bad - but have had worse. It is bearable, just try and relax and breathe normally. Make sure you get comfortable before starting, tis a farely awkward pose you have to take! 10 words shouldn't take you too long at all.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

nerves in the skin are in a higher layer than fat (otherwise, heavier people wouldn't be able to feel anything...), so the fat or lack there of is immaterial.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Thanks everyone! you're all after making me calm a bit and I'm feeling a bit more confident about it today and just wanna get it started, I'm so excited!

I forgot to mention, my artist said it'd be done within an hour and a half or so, so I guess that should make it even more bareable!

Lets get me my first bit of ink! :D

I'll post a picture next Friday for anyone who is interested

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭murfinho

Thanks everyone! you're all after making me calm a bit and I'm feeling a bit more confident about it today and just wanna get it started, I'm so excited!

I forgot to mention, my artist said it'd be done within an hour and a half or so, so I guess that should make it even more bareable!

Lets get me my first bit of ink! :D

I'll post a picture next Friday for anyone who is interested

That's the spirit!!

Good luck, looking forward to seeing the pics!

"Pain heals. Chicks (or dudes) dig scars Tattoos. Glory... lasts forever"

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cadogs

Getting tattooed anywhere is a bit ****ty but ribs are a balls! had 3 x 4 hr sessions on them and not good!

you should be grand though cos will only take 1 - 2 hrs.

Trying to man up and get my other side done soon.

Enjoy (sucker) :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

if your really scared, some chemists sell "numbing cream"(dont know the other name for it:pac:), so my tattooist said some people have used it on their ribs and other sore area's and bearly feel a thing............but you have to earn a tattoo dont you;)

got the top of my ribs done.......expecting the worst but wasnt as bad as i thought it would be, was sore tho

Ive had about 15 hours of work done so far between both my ribcages to hip/arse and roughly at least another 12 to go and can say it does hurt but always worth the pain. The first few hours are bearable but sore Ive found the four to five hour mark on the ribs is when you really begin to feel the burn badly.

op once you happy with the outcome its well worth it :).

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

Rich11 wrote: »
    if your really scared, some chemists sell "numbing cream"(dont know the other name for it:pac:), so my tattooist said some people have used it on their ribs and other sore area's and bearly feel a thing............but you have to earn a tattoo dont you;)

got the top of my ribs done.......expecting the worst but wasnt as bad as i thought it would be, was sore tho

I've a friend a pharmacist and she said Ametop is very popular for people getting tattoos. She sells it very frequently, only in a small tube though so need a few for any sort of big area.
    She's getting me some after she heard I was getting my back started but don't think I'd bother with it, managed over 40 hours ink now without anything :D

Only a matter of hours before I get it done, I'm so impatient, I just want it started now haha

Bring it on!! :D

Best of luck.

In a few hours you will be hooked like the rest of us :D.

Well, after nearly passing out after a few minutes with virtually nothing done, I managed to man up and sit through it

I understand why people say its hard to explain the sensation of a tattoo now!

But heres some pictures that aren't great, but fúck it!

Sorry for the ****ty quality and awkward angles

Advertisement