Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling to cork tomorrow, what would the best route to take

• 23-01-2013 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

Have a meeting at half five so ill be heading into rush hour, the meeting is on in little island, someone mentioned to me about going via cahir, bever been this way, any advice greatly appriciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,464 ✭✭✭✭Victor

From where in Limerick will be a partial decider..

You could go the back roads to Mitchelstown. I'd be wary though if the weather is cold again.

Note that you would largely be going against traffic between Mallow and Cork and then you can use the North Ring Road to avoid the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

I'd vote in favour of the Mitchelstown route anyway, simply route you couldn't stray too far wrong.

Try google maps, they'll give you quite a few routes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

If you're going from the city, you could spend as long driving to Cahir as you would going straight to Cork.

Route 1: N20 straight to Cork, take a left after Blackpool shopping centre. This is the northern ring road. Follow it to the silver springs hotel, then take a left onto the dual carriageway. Following this will take you straight over the Dunkettle interchange, until you see signs for Little Island.

Route 2: head out the N24 heading for Tipp, take the right sign posted for Mitchelstown, follow this road until you hit Mitchelstown then get on the M8 (toll booth at Watergrasshill), follow the M8 straight into the Dunkettle interchange. From here follow the signposts for Little Island.

I'd prefer route 1, especially if the roads are icy, if your meeting is at half 5, aim to be there about quarter past, you'll miss the majority of the traffic.

• Site Banned Posts: 40 soprano123

>snip<

Mod Post: The OP was looking for advice, and not an attempt at a smart arse comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I've a meeting at 9am not far from little island and I will use the mitchelstown route as I always do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

N20 into the city, take a left for Mac Curtain Street at the Topaz on the left just before quays.

Follow straight out of the city until you see the signs for exit to Little Island.

Leave at 3 and you'll have plenty of time to grab a sandwich/ coffee before you start.

Do you know where you're going on Little Island, as that can be confusing enough on its own!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Another vote for the Mitchelstown route, it's the one I nearly always use. Don't forget some change for the toll on the M8 after Fermoy.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

N20 to cork would be the best for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I am in Cork a few days every week and always use the N20 when travelling from or to Limerick. I would be going to the city centre and also out towards Fota.

When I go to Fota, it is generally around the 18:00 mark, and I find taking the N20 to Cork, then taking the North link road until it connects with the N8/ N25 is the easiest and quickest way att hat time of the day. Basically route 1 from Source's post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

soprano123 wrote: »
    Head to Charleville ,then take a right for Newcastlewest ..keep going until Killarney

At Killarney head for Macroom from there you'll take a left for Bantry .

After leaving Bantry head straight for Drimoleague and on to Skibbereen ,after leaving Skibb head straight to Clonakilty .

Clonakilty into Bandon ,from Bandon you'll head for Crossbarry and then into Coachford and into Mallow .

Mallow after 20km youll take a turnoff for Blarney , once in Blarney youll go through Tower village and this will take you into Bishopstown and Wilton ... Once your in Cork City you'll see the Little Island signposts .

Take sandwiches and a flask of Bovril for the road ! You may need a break
    I've an ol message to drop home, could you carry it for me, tis only a small detour off that I swear...:D

NinetyNiners route would be my choice but maybe mitchelstown route if you are further east. Don't bother with Cahir unless you are in Tipp.
    N20 is a cattle track in fairness so leave early if the meeting is important, it might be Dawdlers' Day Out. Mitchelstown route is only 50% cattle track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,464 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Kess73 wrote: »
    North link road
    North Ring Road?

The North City Link Road would land you in the middle of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭frank gallagher

Cheers everyone, went the n20, plenty of time to spare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Victor wrote: »
    North Ring Road?

The North City Link Road would land you in the middle of the city.

Cheers for that.

Used to call the route along the Ballyvolane road/ Lower Mayfield road the North Link road. :o

Best I change Link to Ring from here in when I mention the stretch between the Commons road and the lower Glanmire road.:)

For the sake of it I used both routes today. Going down I left Newport at 6:40am and arrived at the SilverSprings at 8:05am and left hotel at 4:40pm and got to Thomondgate at 6:25pm. Not a mad difference but I didn't like the amount of traffic in Mallow on that stupid roundabout. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭rebel89

Beer Baron wrote: »
    For the sake of it I used both routes today. Going down I left Newport at 6:40am and arrived at the SilverSprings at 8:05am and left hotel at 4:40pm and got to Thomondgate at 6:25pm. Not a mad difference but I didn't like the amount of traffic in Mallow on that stupid roundabout. :mad:
    And no one in Mallow seems to have any idea how to use the stupid roundabout either. Its not a magical roundabout where you can pick whatever lane has the least trafic and then cut in front of everyone to get out the exit you want!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

rebel89 wrote: »
    And no one in Mallow seems to have any idea how to use the stupid roundabout either. Its not a magical roundabout where you can pick whatever lane has the least trafic and then cut in front of everyone to get out the exit you want!!

Trick with that is to take the inside lane and take the 6th exit ;)

I sat there like a pleb in the left lane watching the gits either jump across the roundabout or going around the roundabout 1.5 times and then taking the Limerick exit. You had people going out West to the Racecourse road even doing the trick. Of course I could only exact my revenge when a roundabout jumper tried to take the same exit as me. I took the middle line at the exit(not roundabout hogging)and he got some fright. Dirty git.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Such a pity they didn't get the motorway built before the crash. A bypass of even Charleville and Buttevant would make a huge difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

wingnut wrote: »
    Such a pity they didn't get the motorway built before the crash. A bypass of even Charleville and Buttevant would make a huge difference.
    Buttevant is like an offroad expedition. Charleville has a bypass haha only works if things are very slow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭onlyfinewine

Beer Baron wrote: »

Imagine a National route with a roundabout and a STOP sign? giving way to the Killarney Mallow road. It certainly befuddles my mind even more than usual!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭onlyfinewine

wingnut wrote: »

Charleville is a great candidate for a bypass but the Mallow roundabout could be improved for very little money.

They could easily build an extra lane for traffic coming from the Cork Direction and heading West to the Killarney road which would take pressure off the roundabout as only the Limerick stream would be using the left exit. It would not cost much.

Also apart from the STOP sign, the Limerick to Cork traffic has two lanes after you exit the roundabout and only one lane can be used the way it is laid out?

Did someone actually plan this?

Advertisement