Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop or Desktop for high spec

Options
  • 23-01-2013 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭

I'll be soon purchasing a new computer as my current desktop is about to keel over.

My requirements are:
    - I do a lot of resource heavy work so I'm definately looking for a higher end model but not necessarily at the very top.
    - I'm not a gamer but I do play if I have time. I don't want to be limited if a new game comes out that catches by eye for the next few years. I wouldn't need all settings on high but they shouldn't need to be all low either.
    - A good sound card. My work laptop has a crap SC with very tinny sound with almost no bass and a lot of hiss.
    - Blu ray would be nice but not a deal breaker
    - A well known brand with decent warrenty is important for the type of money I'll be paying.

I want to strike the right balance between the system I'll be paying for and my actual usage. I don't want to pay a fortune for a high spec system and only ever use 50% of its power. At the same time I want to take my second point above into consideration.

I'm willing to go to EUR1000 but something around 800 - 850 would be great. Also a place that takes one4all vouchers would be very handy.

Portability isn't a concern so a desktop or laptop. A big question for me is - am I right if I assume that I'd get a higher spec desktop than laptop at that price range?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

A laptop wouldn't give you much power, as they have to stay cool. PC's generally don't have this problem. Any reason you don't want to build your own? Buy a premade Dell for a grand, or build your own for 700, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

the_syco wrote: »
    A laptop wouldn't give you much power, as they have to stay cool. PC's generally don't have this problem. Any reason you don't want to build your own? Buy a premade Dell for a grand, or build your own for 700, IMO.

I never actually thought of building my own but it does sound appealing. I know my way around a computer and I would have the technical ability but not the logistical experience. For example I wouldn't know what brand or model of motherboard to go for. But I suppose all I need is research. Can you recommend any good books or links.

Are guarantees standard for the individual components?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I never actually thought of building my own but it does sound appealing. I know my way around a computer and I would have the technical ability but not the logistical experience. For example I wouldn't know what brand or model of motherboard to go for. But I suppose all I need is research. Can you recommend any good books or links.

Are guarantees standard for the individual components?
    Yes. They'll all have at least a year, and some longer (when my Western Digital drive died, I found it still had 4 years warranty).

Fill out the below;
    deconduo wrote: »
    If you want to ask about a new build, please include as much of the following information as possible in your thread:

1. What is your budget?
    [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

If you have a sample build yourself, use Fluffy's script to format it nicely.

and post it here; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=842

People will advise you where to go, etc. Personally, if buying a good deal of parts, I'd get it from Hardwareversand.de - even with the €30 delivery, it's often still a €100 cheaper than any Irish online shop. I've dropped €800 at a time into the place, as have others, so it's okay.

Advertisement