Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a phone in Ireland that is compatible in different countries.

Options
  • 23-01-2013 2:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, my phone is dying a slow death and I would like to know if new mobiles bought in Ireland can be used in different countries? I will probably be immigrating to England or Australia in the next couple of months so I would like to know can I buy a phone in Ireland that can be used in these countries also? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Hi, my phone is dying a slow death and I would like to know if new mobiles bought in Ireland can be used in different countries? I will probably be immigrating to England or Australia in the next couple of months so I would like to know can I buy a phone in Ireland that can be used in these countries also? Thank you.

As long as you buy it SIM free. As in not locked to a specific network.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Danger781 wrote: »
    As long as you buy it SIM free. As in not locked to a specific network.

It has to be a quad band phone too, but I think all are at this stage. You can get any phone unlocked for about a tenner anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 aoibheaibrean

Thanks. So having a mobile bought in Ireland that is unlocked to different networks is the same as having a mobile unlocked to different countries too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Thanks. So having a mobile bought in Ireland that is unlocked to different networks is the same as having a mobile unlocked to different countries too?

Pretty much yes. You can't have a country lock, per se. As long as it is a quad band GSM unlocked phone, you're golden.

Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

The best option for you is to visit https://store.meteor.ie/phones, and under the 'Features' checkbox, select 'Quadband' and figure out what phone you have, or what phone you want.

For example, 30 out of 36 phones listed there are Quadband. It is usually the lower end devices are not enabled to work all over the globe.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Thank you!

As long as it's unlocked, you can just buy a local sim card when you get to your new country and it'll work fine.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Thanks guys!

Advertisement