Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clubs in Dublin

Options
  • 23-01-2013 6:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a bit of help and thought this would be a good place to come...

I'm flying out to Dublin for a holiday in a few weeks and looking for a decent club to head out to. Living in Glasgow I know that generally speaking the vast majority of clubs are overran with sleazy guys and chart music. I'm more interested in somewhere that takes it's dance music more seriously ala Fabric, Digital, Sub Club etc.

Cheers in advance!

Jamie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

hagi123 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm looking for a bit of help and thought this would be a good place to come...

I'm flying out to Dublin for a holiday in a few weeks and looking for a decent club to head out to. Living in Glasgow I know that generally speaking the vast majority of clubs are overran with sleazy guys and chart music. I'm more interested in somewhere that takes it's dance music more seriously ala Fabric, Digital, Sub Club etc.

Cheers in advance!

Jamie
    Youll be plesently surprised by Dublin Clubs then.

Best head to the Twisted Pepper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Glasgow clubs are better than Dublin ones unfortunately imo. As Martyn said, if you want somewhere thats a little less mainstream, Twisted Pepper on Abbey Street is your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

There's lots of nights in Dublin that are decent.

Some move around a bit though so it's best to follow them on Facebook and all that nonsense.

Lunar Disko run some good nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

Propaganda in the Academy on Abbey Street does a good Indie night on Saturday nights.. not your typical chart music club.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 hagi123

Cheers guys, much appreciated. I'm more looking for somewhere that plays house/electro/DnB than indie. Twister Pepper sounds like a shout!

• Advertisement

Here's their website: http://www.bodytonicmusic.com/thetwistedpepper/

It goes without saying, but, if you're in your late teens/early twenties (or look like you are) don't forget ID. They're quite strict in TP

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

Lost Society is good too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Cheers guys, much appreciated. I'm more looking for somewhere that plays house/electro/DnB than indie. Twister Pepper sounds like a shout!

Twister Pepper is a must for you I'd say.

The Kitchen is a good spot if you're into that type of music, I've only been twice but think it's quality BUT you get that certain crowd that's assiocated with that genre of music.

http://www.thekitchennightclub.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭kinsy

The Kitchen is a good spot if you're into that type of music, I've only been twice but think it's quality BUT you get that certain crowd that's assiocated with that genre of music.

What type of crowd do you mean?
    I have always found the crowd in the Kitchen a little out of keeping with other techno/ house nights.
    Lots of temple bar goers/ chart music club types and that sort that don't have much interest in the music.

My experience of it anyway.

kinsy wrote: »

I have always found the crowd in the Kitchen a little out of keeping with other techno/ house nights.
    Lots of temple bar goers/ chart music club types and that sort that don't have much interest in the music.

My experience of it anyway.

Working in a fairly underground club myself I have no problem with the 'usual' techno crowd. In fact if it was between them and the more mainstream club goer i'd be in favour of it. Looking at the events listing it appears that the night I'm looking at is good friday and lots of places are shut. Guess i'll just have to wait til nearer the time but have taken a note of all these recommendations. Cheers again!

• Advertisement

Working in a fairly underground club myself I have no problem with the 'usual' techno crowd. In fact if it was between them and the more mainstream club goer i'd be in favour of it. Looking at the events listing it appears that the night I'm looking at is good friday and lots of places are shut. Guess i'll just have to wait til nearer the time but have taken a note of all these recommendations. Cheers again!

All the places are shut. It is illegal to serve alcohol on good friday in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

MarkMc wrote: »
    All the places are shut. It is illegal to serve alcohol on good friday in Ireland

There's normally some BYOB kinda night run in town though if you keep your ear to the ground.

AnonoBoy wrote: »

There's normally some BYOB kinda night run in town though if you keep your ear to the ground.

True, personally I avoid those kind of nights like the plague. A lot of the time (not all), they attract a very different crowd to what the places would normally get

MarkMc wrote: »

Ah, didn't realise that! Across for a couple of days to see Biffy Clyro at the O2, will be quite surreal being at a completely dry concert! Suppose we'll just need to make Thursday night the mad one!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭kinsy

Kitchen has a more mainstream crowd, definitely. Other places you could check out are The Grand Social, Sweeneys on Dame St, The Underground at Kennedys on Westland Row, sometimes there are good gigs on in The Button Factory. It's more of a live venue than a club but lots of DJ sets too.
    But yes, if it's on Good Friday forget everything I've said.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

there is also the avenue nightclub on parnell square and the kings bar/club on capel st. Andrews lane theatre has different nights also.

check out www.sweebe.com for something different.

Overall, Dublin excels in mainstream nights, but alternative nights are not found in the numbers that perhaps they should be.

but on the plus side, you cant beat Dublin for pubs :)

Op they can legally serve you in your hotel bar, infact book early as some people book rooms so they can use the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

Ah, didn't realise that! Across for a couple of days to see Biffy Clyro at the O2, will be quite surreal being at a completely dry concert! Suppose we'll just need to make Thursday night the mad one!

Every pub will close at 12 that Thursday night and no clubs will be open either. Hotel resident's bars should be serving though as said above.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

liffeylite wrote: »
    there is also the avenue nightclub on parnell square and the kings bar/club on capel st. Andrews lane theatre has different nights also.

check out www.sweebe.com for something different.

Overall, Dublin excels in mainstream nights, but alternative nights are not found in the numbers that perhaps they should be.

but on the plus side, you cant beat Dublin for pubs :)

The Kings Bar is closing after March 1st.

Head down to Grand Social, good as well.
    Button Factory worth a shout too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

kinsy wrote: »

Certain well known gangsters have a thing for the place, that was all, wouldn't want to be saying things to the wrong people in there was my point. Personally I love the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Op they can legally serve you in your hotel bar, infact book early as some people book rooms so they can use the bar.

How desperate for a drink would you have to be to actually bother to do that !?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ibrahimovic

aaabbbb wrote: »
    How desperate for a drink would you have to be to actually bother to do that !?:rolleyes:

high%2Bhorse.jpg

aaabbbb wrote: »

Lol I don't know? How pig headed is it to criticise others and how they wish to spend their money!?:rolleyes:

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Lol I don't know? How pig headed is it to criticise others and how they wish to spend their money!?:rolleyes:

I meant like they could just go to an off-licence the day before and stock up. Instead of going to the expense and effort of booking a hotel room for the night. Just seems like a bit of a drastic thing to do just for a drink imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Biffy are playin here on good friday? Might have a look at that myself
    do any clubs in dublin open on midnight friday/ saturday morning? A few down the country would, i know

Biffy are playin here on good friday? Might have a look at that myself
    do any clubs in dublin open on midnight friday/ saturday morning? A few down the country would, i know

I know Tomangoes in Portmarnock usually do . No idea about the city centre though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Amazed no one has mentioned Pygmalion yet. Great for house and techno.

https://www.facebook.com/PygmalionDublin

Also, here's a list of alternative places to go in Dublin

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80962449

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

Totally forgot about Pygmalion! I was in there New years eve, great spot :)

Advertisement