Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Jobs available in Sydney

Options
  • 23-01-2013 6:50am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

For those looking at roles in IT here in Sydney there are a number of roles going at the moment in the place where I work.

Looking for a System Administrator & Software Developers. PM me for more details. Sponsorship may be on the table.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Good idea for a thread Jank!. There are also a couple of contract roles going in my organisation, mostly in the Linux and VMware space. Sponsorship is not on offer directly though can be arranged via an agency.

Also for those landing in Sydney looking for IT, I recommend registering with the following recruitment agencies:

http://www.trcgroup.com/ (Deal mostly with government contracts)

http://www.smalls.com.au/

http://www.peoplebank.com.au/

http://www.candle.com.au/

http://www.pra.com.au/ (There is an Irish guy that used to work with Computer People in Dublin with these guys. Highly recommend him. Contact David at PRA)

http://www.hays.com.au/ (There is a reason I put these last)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭menuisier

Thanks for that list just registered with the ones I was missing now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I had good experience with these crowd.
    http://www.ambition.com.au/
    Very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

jank wrote: »
    I had good experience with these crowd.
    http://www.ambition.com.au/
    Very helpful.

+1 for Ambition (Melbourne)

First spoke to them on a Tuesday, had 2 interviews on the Thursday and 2 job offers next morning. The offer I accepted was with my number 1 choice of employer, having been told by half a dozen other agencies they weren't hiring in my role.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

jackbhoy wrote: »

First spoke to them on a Tuesday, had 2 interviews on the Thursday and 2 job offers next morning. The offer I accepted was with my number 1 choice of employer, having been told by half a dozen other agencies they weren't hiring in my role.

Good outcome jackbhoy, congrats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

jackbhoy wrote: »

Strange im getting a not found message on that link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

Folks, whilst on the IT thread. Just wondering, what comparable work is there in Australia for someone who is a jack of all trades when it comes to IT. I work in a big pharma company in Ireland, I am a jack of all trades, Networking, System Analyst, Application support, Production Support, HMI, PLC, VOIP you name it we do it.
    Its obviously a regulated environment. When I browse job sites they are very specific. I wonder do my skills transfer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Any Calypso jobs?
    Could I send on my cv to you guys that have positions in your company?

Will also check the links out :)

6541 wrote: »
    Folks, whilst on the IT thread. Just wondering, what comparable work is there in Australia for someone who is a jack of all trades when it comes to IT. I work in a big pharma company in Ireland, I am a jack of all trades, Networking, System Analyst, Application support, Production Support, HMI, PLC, VOIP you name it we do it.
    Its obviously a regulated environment. When I browse job sites they are very specific. I wonder do my skills transfer ?

Of course, the thing to remember is that to cater your cv to the actual job and beef it up like that. They may be interested in experience in A while not experienced in B and of course you could bring it up in an interview if they touch on it or a similar project. Got to sell yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Feelgood wrote: »
    http://www.hays.com.au/ (There is a reason I put these last)

i've actually had good experience working via Hays in Adelaide. Though my agent was an absolute star, which had a lot to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Confused_73

Planning on moving to Australia in July/August. Both myself and my wife are experienced IT professionals, mainly in Business Analysis/Project Management. We lived in Sydney previously over 10 years ago when we both worked in various IT contract roles.

We have secured a 5 year visa so do not need sponsorship. We are planning for one of us to go contracting and the other to look for a permanent role.

We are going to start sending off CVs well in advance of our departure. I'm just wondering that if one of us landed a permanent job prior to departure, are there many companies who pay relocation costs? Has anyone heard of this happening with other people (where sponsorship was not involved)?

Any advice on job hunting strategies would be appreciated. Are there some agencies which are better for contracting? Is the living away from home allowance still easy to get for contractors? Any advice on setting yourself up as a ltd company/sole trader for tax purposes?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Proxima Centauri

Planning on moving to Australia in July/August. Both myself and my wife are experienced IT professionals, mainly in Business Analysis/Project Management. We lived in Sydney previously over 10 years ago when we both worked in various IT contract roles.

We have secured a 5 year visa so do not need sponsorship. We are planning for one of us to go contracting and the other to look for a permanent role.

We are going to start sending off CVs well in advance of our departure. I'm just wondering that if one of us landed a permanent job prior to departure, are there many companies who pay relocation costs? Has anyone heard of this happening with other people (where sponsorship was not involved)?

Any advice on job hunting strategies would be appreciated. Are there some agencies which are better for contracting? Is the living away from home allowance still easy to get for contractors? Any advice on setting yourself up as a ltd company/sole trader for tax purposes?

Can you enlighten me what this 5 year visa is?? Worked in IT in Sydney for 3 years myself and hoping to go back.The only way I can see for getting back down is to apply for permanent residency or obtain job sponsorship. I'm too old for WHV and originally went on one, I then obtained a 2 year business visa.
    Thanks

EDIT: Just checked....this is the permanent resident visa!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

6541 wrote: »
    I am a jack of all trades, Networking, System Analyst, Application support, Production Support, HMI, PLC, VOIP you name it we do it.

Hosting or Mining would suit your skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 xxx3

Have my ordinary degree and honours degree in Computer Systems Management, this covers Systems Administrator and would be very interested to her more. Only one problem is that I only have 6 months experience as this was part of my course and I came straight over here after college

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭menuisier

Has anyone picked up an IT job recently? Specifically IT support?

Seems none of the recruitment have anything on their books and if they do the people hiring dont want to go near a WHV.

I've only been looking a week but whenever I have looked for work before (at home) I've gotten a lot more bites. Seems most of the jobs going on seek are perm and I cant be put forward for them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

I had the same issue when i arrived over 2 years ago i only had 6 months experience and applied for over 200 jobs and got 2 interviews!

I found Dec and Jan absoutely dead for IT work but it will start to pick up this week and next week as managers and HR decision makers are back in work and yearly budgets have been planned and are being used now.

Keep at it on seek i found a small company who had never sponsored before and they took me on for the 6 months and then sponsored, also a lot of the bigger companies can sponsor already but it helps if you have experience

Other than seek i found this place site handy, if anyone else has some pass them on as i am also on the look out for new work!!

applydirect.com.au

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭butters.scotch

Hi there,

I'm looking for a job as a Software Tester in Melbourne if anyone knows of any job going! Cheers :)

Bumping this. Place I work for are looking for Java Developers.
    Role: Junior / Graduate Java developer 
    Skills Required:
    •	Experience with Java software development with a strong server side development focus
    •	Experience developing in Linux/Unix environments 
    •	Interest and solid understanding of algorithms and data structures 
    •	Solid understanding of object oriented principles and design patterns
    •	Experience with as many of these technologies as possible: Swing, Tomcat, Spring, Velocity, JUnit, JNDI, XML, JSON, JMX, JSP, Servlets, Maven
    •	Good knowledge and interest in the Java library and tools “ecosystem” (including open source) would be a plus

Role: Mid-level Java developer 
    Skills Required:
    •	2 to 5 years Java development experience
    •	Java Swing experience
    •	Strong Linux operating system experience
    •	Strong Unix/Linux Shell/Bash scripting 
    •	Understanding of multi-threading
    •	Ability to architect, design and deliver solutions that meet the business objectives
    •	Demonstrated passion for development – in and out of the office
    •	Ability to take ownership and work against deadlines
    Role: Senior Java developers
    Skills Required:
    •	5+ years Java development experience
    •	Strong Linux operating system experience
    •	Strong Unix/Linux Shell/Bash scripting 
    •	Understanding of multi-threading
    •	Ability to architect, design and deliver solutions that meet the business objectives
    •	Demonstrated passion for development – in and out of the office
    •	A history of being a high achiever
    •	Ability to take ownership and work against deadlines
    •	Experience with financial data feeds and/or protocols
    •	Understanding of financial markets and trading concepts

PM me if you hit the mark on any of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 nangitoholmes

Hi all,

Just arrived in Sydney and looking for an IT role.
    Have two years Java development experience using several different open source technologies.

If anybody knows of any work going, send me a pm.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭RadarControl

The company I'm working for, will probably be recruiting for System Engineer (Permanent Role) based in North Sydney in the next week or two. You must have long term visa as they will not sponsor. Role will involve looking looking after 200+ servers and growing. Experience with Microsoft 2008 R2, VMWare, HP Command View and Sitescope. PM if you want more details.

• Advertisement
Advertisement