Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teen moving to Galway need help

Options
  • 23-01-2013 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello everyone
    My son might be moving to Galway but hasnt made a decison yet, he is a soccer player here in Kerry, but has outgrown the standard here and looks to progress in both school and sport.
    My main questions are:
    Will he get bored? ( He likes outdoors and activities )
    Does Galway offer a lot of soccer opportunities ? ( Clubs, consistent training )
    This is a very big decision for him and we're not too sure about what to do, if he goes he will be staying with his uncle who has a big house, but the only way he says he can go is if he will training and playing most of the time as he doesnt want to be stuck indoors at home.
    Oh and i think he'll be going to a school in Athenry, athenry college maybe?
    Anyway let me know what your opinions are and if u need me to offer any information let me know, thanks
    if he does move it will be next summer

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Firstly, Athenry is very GAA oriented.

There are some good clubs in Galway (Mervue United, Salthill Devon) but they're in the city.

He won't be bored when it comes to doing things outdoors, there's a lot on offer.

I can't comment on whether it's a good move to go to Galway to play soccer at a higher level, because I don't know how these things work from a scouting point of view. I do know that scouts sometimes go to games being played by the above clubs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 zaranie

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Firstly, Athenry is very GAA oriented.

There are some good clubs in Galway (Mervue United, Salthill Devon) but they're in the city.

He won't be bored when it comes to doing things outdoors, there's a lot on offer.

I can't comment on whether it's a good move to go to Galway to play soccer at a higher level, because I don't know how these things work from a scouting point of view. I do know that scouts sometimes go to games being played by the above clubs though.
    Alright, so would agree that there is a big soccer scene in Galway, right?
    He would probably be staying in Athenry but the city isnt to far off yeah?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

zaranie wrote: »
    Alright, so would agree that there is a big soccer scene in Galway, right?
    He would probably be staying in Athenry but the city isnt to far off yeah?

Yeah it's decent.

Athenry is about a half hour from Mervue United training ground. It would be closer to an hour from Salthill. That's by car, btw.

You could contact some of the coaches there and see what they think. What age is he by the way?

http://www.mervueunited.com/contentPage/51092/c_o_n_t_a_c_t_u_s

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Yeah it's decent.

Athenry is about a half hour from Mervue United training ground. It would be closer to an hour from Salthill. That's by car, btw.

You could contact some of the coaches there and see what they think. What age is he by the way?

http://www.mervueunited.com/contentPage/51092/c_o_n_t_a_c_t_u_s
    He is 16

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Soccer in Galway is a bit of a mess with GUST U19's, Salthill Devon U19's and Mervue U19's fighting over a small pool of players so the talent is diluted.
    The Salthill Devon U19's play in the Airtricity Elite Division which is the highest U19 league in the country.

From the Athenry Soccer club website,
    Athenry FC Schools

Athenry Soccer clubs under age players also play soccer for Presentation College Athenry. This year the first year boys won the first ever Connacht A schools title for the Presentation College.

Sounds like they are working on something.

• Advertisement

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Soccer in Galway is a bit of a mess with GUST U19's, Salthill Devon U19's and Mervue U19's fighting over a small pool of players so the talent is diluted.
    The Salthill Devon U19's play in the Airtricity Elite Division which is the highest U19 league in the country.

From the Athenry Soccer club website,

Sounds like they are working on something.
    I understand but i think theyre only 20 min or 15 mins from the city so it shouldnt be such a problem, but all i want to know is if he can get consistent soccer practice and games, his level of play is not an issue, in fact he hopes it will be challenging as it is the only way to improve and know if youre good enough, so if anyone could send me links of some clubs and stuff that would help, oh and i emailed mervue but they havent replied yet...i wonder id they even check there email, anyway any advice helps thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Well then it has to be one of two clubs if he's aiming high, Salthill or Mervue.

http://www.salthilldevon.ie
    http://www.mervueunited.com

Unless you are playing semi-pro/pro in the Airtricity league then you'll only be training twice a week and a match.

The facilities in Drom (Satlhill Devon's grounds) are fantastic. Really, they are.

I emailed both clubs but they havent replied yet, should i call?
    Does anyone know how they get their players and if maybe he could train or have a trial with them??

• Registered Users Posts: 48 houbie

Im not sure what roads your taking to mervue and salthill but you should hop on the motorway :)

You can drive to mervue in 20 minutes. Salthill in a half hour... maybe a littel more

Athenry has a football club but yes salthill and mervue would be considered the top clubs in galway. If he need trials for both clubs he could train with Athenry while waiting for trials. If training once or twice a week isnt enought for him im sure he could join the training for athenry B team or C team also, if there is still a C team.

The gym and swimming pool in athenry is also a great facility for anyone interested in fitness.

Advertisement