Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a trip to sligo

Options
  • 23-01-2013 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Anyone have a rough idea of how much it would cost in petrol when travelling from Blanch to Sligo? or in Diesel? trying to figure which car to bring... also I've never been but planning a trip...

Looking to stay in the Radisson Blu Sligo... is it walking distance to a town or pub or would we end up driving everywhere? If so, I can look up alternative accomodation

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If it costs too much, check out train from Castleknock to Maynooth, and from there to Sligo? You sometimes prebook a train from Dublin to places for a tenner, if you don't mind what time you go at.

/edit
    Looks like you may be driving everywhere; http://www.radissonblu.ie/hotel-sligo/location but there's a nice pub in the place, i think.

What's the purpose of the trip? Maybe if there's something specific, the people here may be able to advise you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

thanks for that.... although we were planning on driving so we can explore that side of the country a little bit over the few days,

train is not a bad idea all the same... but, will he help me carry all my bags?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭blondie29

Make sure u visit strandhill (bout 5min drive frm sligo town) lovely walks on beach, climb sand dunes, cosy pubs, & seaweed baths, climb knocknera or there's rossespoint beach out past the radission.

All along the cost is fab out the Sligo to bundoran road.

Enjoy ur trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

Bring the car, Sligo is so beautiful when you get to explore it on your own terms, and you're not reliant on Bus Eireann to get you to wonderful places!

The Radisson is about a €10 taxi fare out of town, and the Radisson itself is on the way to Rosses Point beach. If you feel like a walk when you arrive, it's a calmer beach area, split in two with the first beach being a very short walk, and the second beach being a rather long walk! If the tide is fully out, you could walk around to the third beach, you'll get gorgeous views of Benbulben & mountains..but you may have to clamber over rocks to get to the third beach.

Perfect day (imo) in Sligo would be
    Breakfast in Shells cafe out in Strandhill (shellscafe.com)
    Followed by, depending on your mood, a surf lesson, a seaweed bath, a long walk along the beach in Strandhill, or head up Knocknarea mountain, check out Queen Maeve's cairn and the stunning views over Sligo.
    (check out gostrandhill.com for more info on all of the above!)

Lunchtime, for some gorgeous grub, check out Hargadon's pub on O'Connell St., Lyons Cafe on Wine St./Quay St., Osta Cafe (tucked away on the walkway beside Garavogue pub) Cafe Fleur on O'Connell St, McGarrigles....the list goes on!

Take a mooch around the shops in the afternoon, or back on the road and explore! Check out Drumcliffe church & round tower, burial place of WB Yeats. If you fancy some country roads with beautiful scenery, google the Gleniff Horsehoe, Coast Road at Mullaghmore, Glencar Waterfall & lake, or head to Slish Wood/Dooney Rock for some beautiful foresty on the edge of Lough Gill. Parkes Castle may be open too, if you're a bit of a history geek like me...(it is technically in Leitrim, but it's close enough to say it's in Sligo...likewise with Glencar :D)

Back to the hotel for dinner, or, ditch the car at the hotel, and head into Sligo for a night of live music...there's usually great music on somewhere, be it in Shoots on a Weds night, McGarrigles on a Thurs, Fureys on a Friday....check out sligoevents.ie to see what's on where and when.

Aaand eventually, after a few pints, you might feel the need to sample Sligo's renowned local chipper, The Four Lanterns before grabbing a taxi back to the hotel. If you manage that last bit, congrats, you're now a Sligonian/Sligohead/one of the locals!

Enjoy it, and feel free to PM me if you've any questions about anything I've written about.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭wilsixon

We took some friends to Strandhill for a walk on the weekend - really disappointed with the amount of dog turd all over the place. Constantly had to tell the kids to "be careful not to walk there".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

hi, the radisson is not really walking distance to anything it's a bit outside town, but it is on the way to the rosses point beach which you will probably enjoy (not as much as summer of course). coming from the radisson, before the beach there is a pub on the right, I think called Harry's, that's a good spot, it has a 'out at sea' theme with lots of big fish tanks, etc.

the hotels in town are the Glasshose, the Sligo City hotel and the Sligo Southern Hotel, and the Riverside Suites. They are all just average IMO, fine to stay in but the radisson is much nicer but the others are in the middle of town. The Glasshouse looks fancy from outside but it's overpriced and not that great and if you're looking to stay in town the others would be better value. If you turn left out of Riverside Suites you can walk along the river down to Doorly Park which is lovely, though a bit mucky at this time of year.

The Clarion is another hotel that is outside of town, wouldn't recommend it for the prices and not convenient to anything at all really.

Since you have a car, you might want to check out Yeats' grave and the Glencar Waterfall, not far out of town up the Bundoran Rd towards Donegal. In town, there is The Model Art Gallery, which is a big modern art gallery if you like that sort of thing (it's free!). The town in general is nice to walk around in, has the river going through it, some nice shops though not as good as before due to the recession many have closed. Can recommend The Swagman pub just outside the Tesco Carpark on the right, for really nice (and cheap) food and pints, nice staff. Connolly's Pub across from the Glasshouse for real original old-style pub feel and supposed to be the best Guinness. Furey's on Bridge Street and McGarrigles on O'Connell Street are very nice pubs with a good mix of age groups and a nice fire on. For late drinks and tunes without a cover, the Garavogue on the river or maybe McHugh's. The clubs and the other late bar Shenanigans are full of students during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Sadderday wrote: »
    Hi all,

Anyone have a rough idea of how much it would cost in petrol when travelling from Blanch to Sligo? or in Diesel?

Use this site....http://www.aaireland.ie/routes/

Enter where you are travelling from and to and it will give you the estimated cost for fuel for the journey.

blondie29 wrote: »
    Make sure u visit strandhill (bout 5min drive frm sligo town) lovely walks on beach, climb sand dunes, cosy pubs, & seaweed baths, climb knocknera or there's rossespoint beach out past the radission.

All along the cost is fab out the Sligo to bundoran road.

Enjoy ur trip!

AH THANKS !!! :) XX

sligoface wrote: »
    hi, the radisson is not really walking distance to anything it's a bit outside town, but it is on the way to the rosses point beach which you will probably enjoy (not as much as summer of course). coming from the radisson, before the beach there is a pub on the right, I think called Harry's, that's a good spot, it has a 'out at sea' theme with lots of big fish tanks, etc.

the hotels in town are the Glasshose, the Sligo City hotel and the Sligo Southern Hotel, and the Riverside Suites. They are all just average IMO, fine to stay in but the radisson is much nicer but the others are in the middle of town. The Glasshouse looks fancy from outside but it's overpriced and not that great and if you're looking to stay in town the others would be better value. If you turn left out of Riverside Suites you can walk along the river down to Doorly Park which is lovely, though a bit mucky at this time of year.

The Clarion is another hotel that is outside of town, wouldn't recommend it for the prices and not convenient to anything at all really.

Since you have a car, you might want to check out Yeats' grave and the Glencar Waterfall, not far out of town up the Bundoran Rd towards Donegal. In town, there is The Model Art Gallery, which is a big modern art gallery if you like that sort of thing (it's free!). The town in general is nice to walk around in, has the river going through it, some nice shops though not as good as before due to the recession many have closed. Can recommend The Swagman pub just outside the Tesco Carpark on the right, for really nice (and cheap) food and pints, nice staff. Connolly's Pub across from the Glasshouse for real original old-style pub feel and supposed to be the best Guinness. Furey's on Bridge Street and McGarrigles on O'Connell Street are very nice pubs with a good mix of age groups and a nice fire on. For late drinks and tunes without a cover, the Garavogue on the river or maybe McHugh's. The clubs and the other late bar Shenanigans are full of students during the week.

thank you for taking the time to give me this advice, much appreciated! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭sligo camper

...and there is a local bus service that runs from outside the hotel gate...mind, do your homework on times as its a rural service... and wont run late in evening. The bus station is about half way from both Rosses point on one side of the bay and Strandhill on the other...Bus might be handy if you are intending a relaxing couple of hours in both locations...no worries about drink driving etc...

Enjoy... Sligo is Surprising!

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    If it costs too much, check out train from Castleknock to Maynooth, and from there to Sligo? You sometimes prebook a train from Dublin to places for a tenner, if you don't mind what time you go at.

/edit
    Looks like you may be driving everywhere; http://www.radissonblu.ie/hotel-sligo/location but there's a nice pub in the place, i think.

What's the purpose of the trip? Maybe if there's something specific, the people here may be able to advise you?

Its meant to be a nice romantic break !!

...and there is a local bus service that runs from outside the hotel gate...mind, do your homework on times as its a rural service... and wont run late in evening. The bus station is about half way from both Rosses point on one side of the bay and Strandhill on the other...Bus might be handy if you are intending a relaxing couple of hours in both locations...no worries about drink driving etc...

Enjoy... Sligo is Surprising!

Thanks for that, I actually didn't realise the Sligo was such a large place to be honest!, there's alot to get around in a few days!

I've heard alot mentioning Tricky McGarrigles pub on O'Connell Street... is it in the town? any reviews?

Is it the kind of spot where we could check out fureys and walk over to check out this spot?... or would we really be relying on taxis?

Thanks everyone!!

Use this site....http://www.aaireland.ie/routes/

Enter where you are travelling from and to and it will give you the estimated cost for fuel for the journey.

Sound- forgot about that... not as bad as I thought either!! thanks

How could I surprise my boyfriend in Sligo????????? :)

without buying him a pint or wearing a dress................. he's an outdoors kind-of-bloke... and happy as larry to do anything really... but I would love to have something planned for him... (fyi - he can't swim)

could I send him up for a flying lesson or throw him on a rollercoaster or make him handle an eagle or something along those lines? :) renting a bicycle would do!

Anyone know of any karaoke on a wed, thurs or fri night, would love to sting him to do it after a few drinks.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I've heard alot mentioning Tricky McGarrigles pub on O'Connell Street... is it in the town? any reviews?

Is it the kind of spot where we could check out fureys and walk over to check out this spot?... or would we really be relying on taxis?

Thanks everyone!!

Furey's and McGarrigles are both in the town, within walking distance. If you are going on a week day McGarrigles do fantastic lunches. I've put some food from various places in Sligo on pinterest: http://pinterest.com/magnumlady/food-in-sligo/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

without buying him a pint or wearing a dress................. he's an outdoors kind-of-bloke... and happy as larry to do anything really... but I would love to have something planned for him... (fyi - he can't swim)

could I send him up for a flying lesson or throw him on a rollercoaster or make him handle an eagle or something along those lines? :) renting a bicycle would do!

Anyone know of any karaoke on a wed, thurs or fri night, would love to sting him to do it after a few drinks.

Thanks!

Eagles Flying is closed I think until April. You could organise a flying lesson from Strandhill airport. Or what about horseriding? Loads of places around the Sligo. Or Stand up paddling? He doesn't need to be able to swim, life jackets are worn. Or a trip out sea fishing if the weather is OK. Walk up Knocknarea mountain.

magnumlady wrote: »
    Eagles Flying is closed I think until April. You could organise a flying lesson from Strandhill airport. Or what about horseriding? Loads of places around the Sligo. Or Stand up paddling? He doesn't need to be able to swim, life jackets are worn. Or a trip out sea fishing if the weather is OK. Walk up Knocknarea mountain.

thanks for that, lots of great ideas!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Is he a golfer? Even if not, Sligo Golf Academy is a good spot to pass an hour or so. It's a driving range, has putting greens and if not too big into golf, there's archery there too.

If around the Strandhill area, have a bite to eat in The Venue (their chicken wings are a must have!! nomnomnom).

It has been mentioned previously but there are a few people who do fishing trips weather permitting. Ask in Harrys Bar in Rosses Point or there should be flyers in most of the hotels.

PS I think Sligo City Hotel is closed until later on in the year and I thought Riverside was closed as well (I'm open to correction).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

Thanks everyone!!

Yes they are both in town, five minute walk to each other. McGarrigles opens at lunchtime most of the week, Furey's will be open closer to evening. O'Connell St. is the main street in town that has Penney's and Johnston's Court near the end, McGarrigles is in the middle. To get to Furey's, cross O'Connell St. from McGarrigles and there is a little alley called Tobergal lane next to the body shop, go through that and you'll be at the river with the garavogue pub across. Go over the footbride to cross the river, turn right immediately after you pass the romanian beggar woman sitting at the other side of the bridge and you'll see another bridge, a big stone one. That's Bridge Street and when you get to it, Fureys is in front of you, across the street, to the left a bit.

• Advertisement

well depending on how well he treats you before you travel to Sligo, you could suggest him hangsliding from the top of Benbulben...( only joking)...

Sligokarting might be worth a visit...

Horseriding on a beach is a great experience

I was going to suggest freediving but then remembered he couldnt swim

there is an archery/ shooting gallery thingy in the Market Yard sligo...

Ahh the list is endless.

oh yes forgot to say that if you are both into hill walking you could hill walk from Slish Wood to Union Wood ( see Google maps - and back if your adventurous) or I m sure someone on the boards would transfer you back to your car.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

well depending on how well he treats you before you travel to Sligo, you could suggest him hangsliding from the top of Benbulben...( only joking)...

Sligokarting
    might be worth a visit...

Horseriding on a beach is a great experience

I was going to suggest freediving but then remembered he couldnt swim

there is an archery/ shooting gallery thingy in the Market Yard sligo...

Ahh the list is endless.

Where's Sligo karting???

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭davebirl

So sadderday, did you go and how did ye get along?... still together?

Yo, not yet, took some advice and booked into the Glasshouse on the 27th Feb. booked a delux room... hopefully its as gucci as it looks on the site... didnt opt for Breakfast each morning cos I presume there would cafes etc close by and we can pick n choose where to go and what we fancy

we are booked into sligo from wed-sat and we are both off work til the following tues so might spin up to donegal or galway do a bit of a road trip...

we are both counting down the days!! cant wait... although I looked into the idea of having eagles lasnd on your arm and stuff but that dont kick off til april... trying to suss out if i could get him into a canoe or some really exciting outdoorsy activity :)

For good food - chinese - China City 15e all you can eat, sit down, Take away HOwong ( can u be).

Wed is quiet in sligo - Hardigans, up the street from your hotel - nice and relaxed.

Thurs, fri sat, McHughs, Garavogue, Shoot the crows, or connollys. ( u can see it from your bedroom) would be my recommendation.

Good lunch in the Belfry for a tenner - Breakfast in supermacs for a fiver

done deal

:) thanks for that ... we guessed it would be quiet on a wed which suits us... we will prob go out for dinner most evenings, we are saving to be able to eat without looking at prices (for a change) :) so, i might have a steak!!

i thought things might get a little more lively on the thursday/friday nights, the basic plan is dinners, drinks and maybe one of the nights i will get him out for a dance.

Cant wait to walk on a beach, dont care about the weather!!! so excited about it, i'm sure we will have a ball...

defo check out that chinese.... and so to disturb but anyone have any thoughts on the food in the glasshouse? for lunch say? i'm surprised there is no pool there :)

Booked a delux room with a balcony... am i in for a good thing here> ?

Thanks for your advice and I will fill you in on the trip when we're back :)

Theres a bloody big river next door to you, you could take a dip there....

hotel food is hotel food....

Steak - try Gullivers, or any other restaurant in the area.. again you can look down at them from your accommodation....that is if youre not already distracted from other activities...

have you got your hands on a map... everything is on or near the river when you walk out of the hotel..

• Advertisement

yeah, heard it was a good central spot to stay in. I have a map.... and heard of gullivers a couple of times, will check it out...

we do plan on leaving the room at some stage, but didnt want to commit to getting up by 10am for breakfast each morning, its a holiday after all :0)

Thanks!!!

Advertisement