Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place for huge waves on sunday?

Options
  • 23-01-2013 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

The sea is where I tend to head for when there's a storm brewing but can anyone following this storm tell me where about on the west coast might be the most dramatic on sunday if this storm hits?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Mullaghmore Head in Sligo has some huge waves; it's a big wave surfing location.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kkel

Yeah I seen the video on one of these threads from the weekend there alright, looks impressive. This is the first big storm that I'll actually ber off work for so I want to make the most of it

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

hhEUo6t.jpg

Looks like it could be good one. Cliffs of Moher?

Longboard wrote: »
    hhEUo6t.jpg

Looks like it could be good one. Cliffs of Moher?

Thats a windy old place at the best of times

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭mikeecho

any suggestions for a place in cork or Kerry for big storm waves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Spanish Point Co Clare ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

mikeecho wrote: »
    any suggestions for a place in cork or Kerry for big storm waves
    Sceilig Mhichíl

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭mikeecho

snubbleste wrote: »
    Sceilig Mhichíl

hell of a drive, did it a few weeks back.
    might do it again.

any other suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

There'll be any amount of swell on most coasts this weekend. its a direct west swell so most spots in clare will have waves. i'd stay away from the cliffs (of moher) if that wind is a strong as forecast. most spots in clare are forecast to hit 18-25 feet. it'll be a biggy alright.

the mullaghmore contest could go ahead next week though. they'll be looking for the wind to swing SE and drop in speed. tuesday looks like a better day for that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

to watch or surf?If it's to watch Coumeenole outside Dingle is usually spectacular, as is Clogher.

• Advertisement

For me its to watch, would love to be able to surf but will have to stick to dry land I'm afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Doolin cliffs always great for big swells/waves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

mikeecho wrote: »
    hell of a drive, did it a few weeks back.
    might do it again.

any other suggestions

Any beach along The Maharees near Castlegregory is always going to be great. The world surfing championships were held there about 10 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Carrowniskey beach, not much to hold onto in a gust though!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Neworder79 wrote: »
    Carrowniskey beach, not much to hold onto in a gust though!

The winds shouldn't be too bad on the coast. All the severe winds will be hundreds of miles out at sea. Waves should be impressive though if the models are right.

The winds shouldn't be too bad on the coast. All the severe winds will be hundreds of miles out at sea. Waves should be impressive though if the models are right.

Its the waves I'm looking forward to, according to magic seaweed it will be well worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

kkel wrote: »
    Its the waves I'm looking forward to, according to magic seaweed it will be well worth a look

Yeah, I've never seen an area of maxed out wave heights as big as that before.

Whats the record wave height for the M6 buoy?

wTDuq47.jpg

ok, all surfers and non-surfers alike might just be in for a treat the big wave contest due to be held in mullaghmore head, co.sligo, has gone to amber for a possible start on sunday.:D:D:D

http://irishtowsurfrescueclub.org/billabong-tow-in-session-status-update-amber/

buyer95 wrote: »
    Any beach along The Maharees near Castlegregory is always going to be great. The world surfing championships were held there about 10 years ago

sorry dude,world windsurfing champs you mean:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

That low would need to be further out and not moving to get v big waves too close to Ireland and moving too quick, not enought time for swell development

• Advertisement

current bouys forecast 30 feet at 18 sec period. plenty big

i think it hit 20 metres a few years back now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

to watch or surf?If it's to watch Coumeenole outside Dingle is usually spectacular, as is Clogher.

Clogher it is ... Nice spot to watch big waves

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

pad199207 wrote: »
    Spanish Point Co Clare ;)
    second that.huge waves all year round!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭waterways

There is a difference between a maximum individual wave height and the Significant Wave Height. The Significant Wave Height record of the Irish buoys was measured at M6 with 17.2 m in 2007. M4 had in December 2011 14.7 m Significant Wave Height.

Only M4 and M2 can measure a maximum individual wave height and M4 had 20.4 m in the 2011 storm.
    wave-ind.png

http://www.met.ie/images/marinebuoys/wave-ind.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Pity that the waves are going to be utterly crap for surfing.

The huge onshore winds associated with this weather system mean that there will be no decent faces on any of them, it'll all be rolling mounds of white foam and no face. Nice to look at, but there will be no barrels being seen, and trying to get out past any break will be very very hard with a likelihood of most surf areas closing out. Not worth getting wet..

Now if there were 0-20km/h offshore with these 18 seconds waves then it would be a completely different story with huge barrels possible and a great days surfing for those able to surf the big ones.

A good spot to view the biggest waves would be the spot known as Aileen's, just to the NE from Cliffs of Moher. A climbing harness and a rope attached to the fence would not be a bad idea no matter where you go :D

Stay safe when looking at these big waves, as there is a possibility of the odd wave being x2 the size of the average ones. You don't want to be swept off your feet from 30-40 feet up from the sea level.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

With a high tide time of 6.15pm for Galway Bay on Monday evening and a full moon aswell would it a safe to assume that their will be some decent waves coming over the top of the Prom on Monday evening??Met Eireann have said 140km/hr winds during the day and easing for awhile over night but the winds should still be strong enough by evening time yes?I know its hard though to pin down exact times of strongest winds until nearer the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Aiel wrote: »
    With a high tide time of 6.15pm for Galway Bay on Monday evening and a full moon aswell would it a safe to assume that their will be some decent waves coming over the top of the Prom on Monday evening??Met Eireann have said 140km/hr winds during the day and easing for awhile over night but the winds should still be strong enough by evening time yes?I know its hard though to pin down exact times of strongest winds until nearer the time.

Could be some pretty bad coastal flooding on Monday if thats the case, current models have very strong winds peaking around 3-6pm with Galway Bay right in the firing line. There's very little low lying land along the west coast but with all those factors combined it could be a problem in places

Wave height prediction for Monday evening..

wavegrbr182013012600.gif

Weatheronline have a tide height forecast as well but I cant seem to get it working for Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Popoutman wrote: »

A good spot to view the biggest waves would be the spot known as Aileen's, just to the NE from Cliffs of Moher. A climbing harness and a rope attached to the fence would not be a bad idea no matter where you go :D

Stay safe when looking at these big waves, as there is a possibility of the odd wave being x2 the size of the average ones. You don't want to be swept off your feet from 30-40 feet up from the sea level.

Don't rely on an unknown anchor like a fence!

In fact if you need a line attached, you're too close.

Advertisement