Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random hitler question

Options
  • 23-01-2013 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

Get these random questions in my head every so often.
    Did hitler personally kill anyone? Or let his generals do it for him?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Get these random questions in my head every so often.
    Did hitler personally kill anyone? Or let his generals do it for him?

His Generals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

He may have killed someone during WW1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Not a smart-alec answer (well, it is kinda), but he did kill himself...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

I believe he is suspected of killing a man during his rise to power. A sort of rite of passage perhaps, hushed up by the fledgling NAZI party and sympathetic figures in authority. As well as appealing to the masses, his management style revolved around attracting geniuses and psychopaths, e.g. Rommel, Donitz, Himmler, Goebbels, etc., giving them overlapping responsibilities with lessers in their areas of expertise and leaving the rest to survival of the fittest.
    A blend of Machiavelli, Darwin, Frederick the Great, Napoleon and many others. A tragedy for mankind but a constant source of fascination.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

When Geli Raubal died in 1931, there was a rumour that Hitler had shot her. However I think it's generally accepted that she committed suicide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

BrensBenz wrote: »
    I believe he is suspected of killing a man during his rise to power. A sort of rite of passage perhaps, hushed up by the fledgling NAZI party and sympathetic figures in authority. As well as appealing to the masses, his management style revolved around attracting geniuses and psychopaths, e.g. Rommel, Donitz, Himmler, Goebbels, etc., giving them overlapping responsibilities with lessers in their areas of expertise and leaving the rest to survival of the fittest.
    A blend of Machiavelli, Darwin, Frederick the Great, Napoleon and many others. A tragedy for mankind but a constant source of fascination.

That's about the best description I've seen to describe Hitler in one sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I think the closest personal involvement Hitler is known to have had in any killing is the assassination of Ernst Röhm on the Night of the Long Knives. Hitler personally telephoned Röhm and ordered him to convene a conference of the SA leadership on 30 June 1934. Then he flew to Munich himself and personally effected the arrest of Röhm at that conference. He ordered Röhm to be offered an opportunity to commit suicide, and to be murdered if he declined the opportunity. Röhm did decline, and was duly murdered. However the suicide offer and subseuent shooting were carried out by Theodor Eicke and Michael Lippert; Hitler was not present.

Also on the Night of the Long Knives, Edmund Heines was shot on arrest on Hitler's personal order (along with the young man with whom he was found in bed). But, again, Hiter was not present at the shootings.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

DazMarz wrote: »
    Not a smart-alec answer (well, it is kinda), but he did kill himself...

I deserved that answer in fairness!
    Forgot about WWI I suppose I was wondering that a man who was responsible for the ordering of mass murder whether or not he got his own hands dirty in the process.
    Thanks for the replies (helpful and witty!)
    Fascinating he was, in a strange way. It's just hard to fathom that happening in the first place that one person could get so many people to do his own dirty work. But I suppose it Happens on smaller scales everywhere.

Advertisement