Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

19th Jan Motorbike law change

• 23-01-2013 11:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭

Sorry for being an idiot but I can't understand the new law that has come in.

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%...;s%20Bikes.pdf

Should I be woried?

I'm 27, learners permit since 2008. Learners permit expires in April 2013. Currently on a 125cc

I am doing my full test in Febuary on a larger restricted bike.

I've never done the IBT as I never needed to as the license was issued to me in 2008.

2 questions:
    1. Does the above new law on 19th of Jan affect me in anyway?
    2. If I fail my test and am made to get a new learners permit, do I have to do the IBT?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

it's pretty much all been covered here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056828657

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

Green Mile wrote: »

2 questions:
    1. Does the above new law on 19th of Jan affect me in anyway?
    2. If I fail my test and am made to get a new learners permit, do I have to do the IBT?

1. When you pass ur test after 19 january you will be issues a a2 license not a
    2. If ur first permit was issued before december 2010 you will not need ibt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Green Mile

szatan84 wrote: »
    1. When you pass ur test after 19 january you will be issues a a2 license not a
    A provisional a2 is it? Not a full outright A license?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

A full a2 license. Same as A now but with restriction to 35 kw. After that another test to get unrestricted A afaik. That's why I done mine in December :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

A Full A2. if you do the test on a bike between 25 and 35 kw and over 395cc (If I remember correctly) If you do it on a smaller bike you'll get an A1....

Given your age you could trade in your Learner Permit for a Full A Unrestricted LP then do IBT Direct access modules and get a fully unrestricted licence straight away. You'll have to do it eventually anyway to get an unrestricted licence if you so choose.

• Advertisement

Given your age you could trade in your Learner Permit for a Full A Unrestricted LP then do IBT Direct access modules and get a fully unrestricted licence straight away. You'll have to do it eventually anyway to get an unrestricted licence if you so choose.

Im really confuzzled now. You're saying I don't even need to to the full test with the RSA?

I attach my license, I am already in the A0 section.

(correction to my op, license expires in Sep)

Im really confuzzled now. You're saying I don't even need to to the full test with the RSA?

I attach my license, I am already in the A0 section.

(correction to my op, license expires in Sep)

Simple as I can make it, if you do IBT Module 5 Direct Access now you would have an unrestricted LP... THEN you do your test on a suitable bike and you have a full licence unrestricted in any way.

If you do your test now on a suitable bike you will get an A2 Licence and to get a Full Unrestricted A Licence you will have to do IBT anyway. But you won't have to do 2 tests.

Either way to be unrestricted at all you WILL have to do 1 test and 1 IBT. The order is up to you given you're over 24.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

RE: 1 ibt & 1 test.

I do my test tomorrow (over 24) on a restricted 600cc (25kw - old LP) I'll get a full A2 (restricted license).

I can do IBT5 (is there a wait for this? or can I apply the same day?) or wait 2 years and do another test for my full A.

So if I go the A2-A route, I can do two tests and no IBT but I have to wait longer to get the A or else pay for the IBT5.

The A2 is just your restricted A you'd get for 2 years under the old system (albeit a higher restriction kw?)

Simple as I can make it, if you do IBT Module 5 Direct Access now you would have an unrestricted LP... THEN you do your test on a suitable bike and you have a full licence unrestricted in any way.

If you do your test now on a suitable bike you will get an A2 Licence and to get a Full Unrestricted A Licence you will have to do IBT anyway. But you won't have to do 2 tests.

Either way to be unrestricted at all you WILL have to do 1 test and 1 IBT. The order is up to you given you're over 24.

That is very clear. Thank you.

So am I right to say, I could just do the test with RSA on, say a 600cc bikethat is restricted to my current license type and get an A2 LP.

Then down the line I just have to sit the Module 5 and send that 'cert ofcompletion' & my latest LP to the motor tax office to get the full unrestricted license?

Can't believe the Module 5 is €395.00. I can't do this in time before my test and I have to save for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Not so sure on this one Minidazzler, because he's never done IBT he will have to do modules 1,3 and 5 in order to take the full A test and get direct access. So the point being he'll have to do more than one IBT.

• Advertisement

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Not so sure on this one Minidazzler, because he's never done IBT he will have to do modules 1,3 and 5 in order to take the full A test and get direct access. So the point being he'll have to do more than one IBT.

Ah, I meant one full IBT, not one Module :)

Balls!

So I basically have to spend the 600 odd euro to compete the IBT regardless?

Do I have the option of renewing my current license LP which is "A - 25kW"?

Balls!

So I basically have to spend the 600 odd euro to compete the IBT regardless?

Do I have the option of renewing my current license LP which is "A - 25kW"?

Nope.

Pass the test, get an A2 Full licence and just wait a year or 2 before doing the IBT, you'd be waiting til then anyway to get unrestricted on the Old A.

Once you do IBT to be unrestricted the instructor will give you a slip of paper that entitles you to get a Full A licence unrestricted so it's just one test.

Really, you're in a better position than you think, because your restriction will be lifted when you want it to be/ can afford it to be. It'll cost a bit, but you can do your IBT with someone else and you should get a discount.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭Mr Motorcycle

Basically echange your restricted learner permit now for the new A unrestricted do the IBT modules 1,3,5

Do the test and ride what you want

Or keep the A restricted learner permit do the test and you will get the A2 full licence which you will be on for two years so all your doing is kicking it down the road two years and you will have to do the same modules anyway

I appreciate all the advice. It is clear now what I need to do.

On this website:
    http://www.irishmotorcycletraining.com/motorcycle-lesson-prices/
    It's €360 each if there's more than one. Any want to do this with me? This is pretty good for the 1,3 and 5 module.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

What a load of Tripe- I''m more confused at the end of this thread than the start.......I'm glad I've mine got a long time now...I feel genuinely sorry for new bikers these days..
    note to self...don't lose it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

I have a pain in my ars@ over this......mid life crisis and went back motor cycling. Have the learner permit since mid dec with the idea of doing my test 6 months later and leaning towards a gs1200. My paper Licence is still valid says the rsa......I have done ibt upto level 3......

Totally unclear where I go from here and with the bad weather recently I have been out of touch with school. Any thoughts men?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

I have a pain in my ars@ over this......mid life crisis and went back motor cycling. Have the learner permit since mid dec with the idea of doing my test 6 months later and leaning towards a gs1200. My paper Licence is still valid says the rsa......I have done ibt upto level 3......

Totally unclear where I go from here and with the bad weather recently I have been out of touch with school. Any thoughts men?

Your old 'A' permit is still valid but has a 25kw restriction on it.
    Apply for new plastic card 'A' learner permit which is now unrestricted.
    Complete module 5 IBT direct access for category 'A' (13-Hours) as you have already completed module 1 & 3.

Then when you pass your 'A' test you will have a full unrestriced licence.

get a trike... drive it on a car licence. for those that are knowlegeable about these things is there an easier way to get a licence these days? is there somewhere in europe that you can do the test without a full on game of snakes and ladders?
    I remember clarkson going to india covering the driving test, drive 50 yards in a straight line and get your full licence, transfer it in england !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

steveone wrote: »
    get a trike... drive it on a car licence. for those that are knowlegeable about these things is there an easier way to get a licence these days? is there somewhere in europe that you can do the test without a full on game of snakes and ladders?
    I remember clarkson going to india covering the driving test, drive 50 yards in a straight line and get your full licence, transfer it in england !!
    You could go to India if you want. Get Delhi belly and spend a fortune getting there :). Couldn't transfer it anyway.
    Seriously though most of Europe is just as bad now and the Law changes are an EU thing.
    All of this is to benefit riders and reduce road deaths. Trying to get a full licence as quickly and as cheaply as possible is just crazy. Just because someone thinks they are are good enough doesn't mean they are. X Factor auditions spring to mind.
    Unrestricted bikes can have arm ripping power just like a friend of mine a rider of 10 years found out yesterday when he came off outside his house on a bike he's riding the last 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

I appreciate all the advice. It is clear now what I need to do.

On this website:
    http://www.irishmotorcycletraining.com/motorcycle-lesson-prices/
    It's €360 each if there's more than one. Any want to do this with me? This is pretty good for the 1,3 and 5 module.

If your looking for a unrestricted license you will need to change your learner permit to one of the new ones.
    Not 100% on it myself, look into it more before you do anything.

hah I can get delhi belly and ripped off down the road at least in india its sunny!
    how did I ever manage to stay alive.....wonders never cease.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Roadcraft wrote: »
    Your old 'A' permit is still valid but has a 25kw restriction on it.
    Apply for new plastic card 'A' learner permit which is now unrestricted.
    Complete module 5 IBT direct access for category 'A' (13-Hours) as you have already completed module 1 & 3.

Then when you pass your 'A' test you will have a full unrestriced licence.

,........and get bet over and bum fcuked out of alot of money too.:eek:

paddy147 wrote: »

by all accounts its beneficial.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

Depends what you are into but I am sure that would be an extra. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Roadcraft wrote: »
    Depends what you are into but I am sure that would be an extra. :D

In other words they have you by the balls.

They know people will want to hop onto a full on sports bike,so they make you pay a fcuking fortune for it.:eek::rolleyes::mad:

I suppose,what else would you expect with anything in this country.:(

In other words they have you by the balls.

They know people will want to hop onto a full on sports bike,so they make you pay a fcuking fortune for it.:eek::rolleyes::mad:

I suppose,what else would you expect with anything in this country.:(
    So with you knowledge and wisdom paddy how much would you be worth after spending years and thousands of euro to become a professional at what you do. What do electricians or plumber's charge. Mechanics and even taxi drivers. I just paid €55 per hour to get my car fixed. That was just labour cost the parts were another fortune. People need paying and overheads need to be covered so get real.
    Have a nice day ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Roadskill wrote: »
    So with you knowledge and wisdom paddy how much would you be worth after spending years and thousands of euro to become a professional at what you do. What do electricians or plumber's charge. Mechanics and even taxi drivers. I just paid €55 per hour to get my car fixed. That was just labour cost the parts were another fortune. People need paying and overheads need to be covered so get real.
    Have a nice day ;)

Roadskill this is really not like you! I don't think anyone here blames the instructors, I most certainly don't, what I have an issue is how this was introduced.

A year ago I paid €400 for my IBT, and you know what I understood it and it was the cost I knew I had to spend, never mind the fact that I am tankfull to the instructor that I did it with as some of the things learned on the course have saved my ass so far, but the issue I have is that I now have to spend that again to be able to get the unrestricted licence which I would have been given after 2 years from passing the test.

Why could they not leave the rules the same for the old A lp until they are fazed out?

And let's not even start with the bad public awareness campaign and the fact that the insurance companies don't get it at all.

OK, so what I found out with my research. (That relates to me (i.e. 27 years old, LP since prior to 2010 with a 125cc bike LP))

1. I exchanged the restricted LP for a non restricted LP. Cost is 35 euro as I was changing category. (i.e. A <125cc lp type to A Unrestricted type)

2. I am currently doing IBT 1,3 and 5. I will complete 5 when the new LP arrives via the post.

3. Go with the IBT cert and the new unrestricted A LP to the RSA test centre and pass the test (hope its as easy as I typed it)

4. Bring the pass test cert that the RSA gave to the motor tax office and pay 55euro for the full unrestricted and fill in the license form for the unrestricted A license. Also 2 photos are required still (they don't take the pictures in the office (as of Feb 2013, subject to change)

Bob is your uncle.

• Advertisement

Peanut2011 wrote: »

Roadskill this is really not like you! I don't think anyone here blames the instructors, I most certainly don't, what I have an issue is how this was introduced.

A year ago I paid €400 for my IBT, and you know what I understood it and it was the cost I knew I had to spend, never mind the fact that I am tankfull to the instructor that I did it with as some of the things learned on the course have saved my ass so far, but the issue I have is that I now have to spend that again to be able to get the unrestricted licence which I would have been given after 2 years from passing the test.

Why could they not leave the rules the same for the old A lp until they are fazed out?

And let's not even start with the bad public awareness campaign and the fact that the insurance companies don't get it at all.
    I know I don't usually bite and I know the comments aren't personal but I have had a skin full of abuse on the phone from lads who call for info then start giving out as if it's our fault. This has been going on for the last 4 months or so. It gets a bit much when it's screwed the instructors over just as much with the extra costs involved let alone virtually no work due to people waiting for the new laws. When you read some comments we do understand their frustrations specially the ones in the old system but it's the EU this time. The problem is we are trying to run a business and it can cost €300 in wages for the instructor alone to do an ibt.
    Anyhow rant over I will be back to normal once the rain stops giving me man flu every week.:)

Advertisement