Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the snow like in Galtymore?

Options
  • 23-01-2013 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭

Has anyone been up it this week?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i'm planning on heading up on sunday so am interested in any responses that come back!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭paulocon2

Just been told that there wasn't a lot of snow up there as of Monday and I doubt anything has fallen since.

See: http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/775719_337690936346001_483030776_o.jpg

that looks manageable alright, sunday morning it is!

that looks manageable alright, sunday morning it is!

Good stuff. Make sure to take a few snaps!

yip i will indeed

• Advertisement

made it up today no problem anyway. was gorgeous to be up there in the snow, i'd never scaled a snow covered peak before. that said, the peak was close to bare given how strong the wind was.

couple of pics

made it up today no problem anyway. was gorgeous to be up there in the snow, i'd never scaled a snow covered peak before. that said, the peak was close to bare given how strong the wind was.

couple of pics

Great stuff. A covering of snow always enhances the hills!

certainly does, it was incredibly windy up top though! we were lucky to get a break in the clouds, by the time we were half way back down the peak was covered in cloud again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

certainly does, it was incredibly windy up top though! we were lucky to get a break in the clouds, by the time we were half way back down the peak was covered in cloud again.

I would imagine it was hurricane force winds - I was tempted to go hill-walking on Sunday but the squalls completely put me off. How were you not blown off the mountain?

yeah the climb to the peak was ok because the wind was blowing from the far side of the mountain, the wind at the peak meant we were constantly leaning forward. i sat down by the cairn for a couple of minutes to have a snack and had kinda forgotten about the wind by the time i stood up...cue me very nearly getting swept away!

• Advertisement

I am hoping to get up Galtymore this week - if anyone is up there, please let me know what conditions are like - the more snow the better!

i'd say with much of the country having had some snowfall on lower ground over the last couple of days there should definitely be snow up top this coming weekend. hopefully you get it less windy than we had it a couple of weeks ago as there might then be some depth to the snow on top, it had almost all blown off when we were there!

Saturday promised mild - doubt the snow will cling on...

Advertisement