Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn Exam Results.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭gruffler91

gruffler91 wrote: »
    I wonder who the best people to email are, SAA are terrible for replying to emails :(

Gonna answer my own question here but was just on UL FB page and others were having problems too, so if you log in via this link you should be ok.

www.results.ul.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

What does a compensating fail mean in first year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

What does a compensating fail mean in first year?

Think if it's your QCA is above 2 at the end of the year, you don't have to repeat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

If you finish the year with a QCA above 2.0 at the end of the year with 4 or less (I think) comp fails, you don't have to repeat them in August..
    If your QCA is below it, you'll have to repeat said exam(s) at the end of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

If you finish the year with a QCA above 2.0 at the end of the year with 4 or less (I think) comp fails, you don't have to repeat them in August..
    If your QCA is below it, you'll have to repeat said exam(s) at the end of the year
    Will I get an email or a letter informing me of the fails?

• Advertisement

Going by what others have said beforehand I don't think so,
    But I wouldn't take it to the bank,
    Lads above might know more :P

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Best of luck to everyone.

Anyone ever get the feeling of "How the **** did I get the same grade in these 2 modules?".

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

What grades are considered pass and fail? I got a D1 in a subject and don't know whether I passed it or not :/

iLaura wrote: »
    What grades are considered pass and fail? I got a D1 in a subject and don't know whether I passed it or not :/

D1's a compensating fail I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Risteard wrote: »
    D1's a compensating fail I believe.

So since my QCA is high enough, does that mean I don't have to repeat the exam?

• Advertisement

Yep, above 2 you don't need to repeat.

If your QCA is above 2.0, you can have up to 4 comp fails per year. So you're fine, as long as you keep QCA above 2.0, and don't get 4 or more comp fails.

On a slightly different topic,
    Did anyone see the series of C's under Status and think "****"... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

My QCA is 1.84, I failed one module and got a compensating fail in another. I'm planning on just repeating the fail since if I get just a compensating fail in that, my QCA will be 2.0, is this okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

Waiting for an email from Paddy Rocket and I keep getting emails about volunteering.. Ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

4cs and an f. Really disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

You don't have to repeat the D, it's optional.

Congrats everyone on their results. I'm not a regular poster on this forum but if I could pass on one bit of advice in relation to D grades.

I'm in 4th year now. I've had a few D grades along the way which I didn't repeat. Unfortunately, it's now looking likely that these D's are going to be the difference between a first class honours and a 2.1 for me, so I would encourage people to repeat the D's. I regret not repeating them now but it's too late. If you're in 1st year, your QCA goes back to 0 for 2nd year so no need to repeat the D's in 1st year.
    Just my two cents.

Culleeo wrote: »

Congrats everyone on their results. I'm not a regular poster on this forum but if I could pass on one bit of advice in relation to D grades.

I'm in 4th year now. I've had a few D grades along the way which I didn't repeat. Unfortunately, it's now looking likely that these D's are going to be the difference between a first class honours and a 2.1 for me, so I would encourage people to repeat the D's. I regret not repeating them now but it's too late.

Just my two cents.

As well just a heads up if anyone's in Business doing accounting or L+A that if you get a D1 in an accounting/finance subject, you might not have to repeat it for UL if your QCA is high enough but it could impact potential exemptions if you go down the accountancy route.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mon one

Need some help working out these results - I'm a first year and really don't understand this QCA system.

Ok i definitely failed one i got an F. I got two D2s which i am taking are compensating fails from what i have read here.
    My QCA is 1.6.

If i get my QCA up to a average of 2 in the summers i won't have to repeat my two D2 subjects is that correct. Is this achievable - i presume what i need is a 2.4 in my summers

mon one wrote: »
    Need some help working out these results - I'm a first year and really don't understand this QCA system.

Ok i definitely failed one i got an F. I got two D2s which i am taking are compensating fails from what i have read here.
    My QCA is 1.6.

If i get my QCA up to a average of 2 in the summers i won't have to repeat my two D2 subjects is that correct. Is this achievable - i presume what i need is a 2.4 in my summers

You'll have to repeat the F but as you have said, if you get an average of 2 by combining the summer results and these results, you won't have to repeat the D's.

A QCA of 2.4 next semester is well within reach, just keep the head down next semester and you'll be fine. If you have course work, put lots of effort in to do well and this will improve your results greatly.

Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

2 fails and 2 comp fails, I'm in year 2. What's my story? I need to repeat in summer? Will this make up for the comp fails then? I assume then I have to do really well in summer exams too?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Passes em all :D what a relief. well one comp fail but ill take that any day for that module

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DJW11

I'm in 4th year now. I've had a few D grades along the way which I didn't repeat. Unfortunately, it's now looking likely that these D's are going to be the difference between a first class honours and a 2.1 for me, so I would encourage people to repeat the D's. I regret not repeating them now but it's too late. If you're in 1st year, your QCA goes back to 0 for 2nd year so no need to repeat the D's in 1st year.
    Just my two cents.

Is it true that if you repeat an exam though the maximun result you can achieve is a 2.0 in that exam?

DJW11 wrote: »
    Is it true that if you repeat an exam though the maximun result you can achieve is a 2.0 in that exam?

Yupp all results are capped at a c3

garv123 wrote: »

Yupp all results are capped at a c3
    C1 I thought? I'm gonna post this again, I need an answer.

2 fails and 2 comp fails, I'm in year 2. What's my story? I need to repeat in summer? Will this make up for the comp fails then? I assume then I have to do really well in summer exams too?

DJW11 wrote: »

Yeah, the maximum you can get is a C3. If you accumulate a few D's over the 3 years and don't repeat them, it could be the difference between a first, second and third class honours.
    Gumbi wrote: »
    C1 I thought? I'm gonna post this again, I need an answer.

You'll have to repeat the 2 fails. If you do well enough next semester to average a QCA of 2 over both semesters, you won't have to repeat the D's.

Yeah, the maximum you can get is a C3. If you accumulate a few D's over the 3 years and don't repeat them, it could be the difference between a first, second and third class honours.

You'll have to repeat the 2 fails. If you do well enough next semester to average a QCA of 2 over both semesters, you won't have to repeat the D's.
    Thank you.

Do I receive a letter in the post late today informing me of the repeats? I think I had post this morning and there wasn't a letter there.

Thank you.

Do I receive a letter in the post late today informing me of the repeats? I think I had post this morning and there wasn't a letter there.

No letters are issued for the Christmas exams, you only get a letter during the summer to inform you of repeats or optional repeats (D grades) from both semesters. These letters are usually issued a few days before the results are due out for the summer exams.

Thank you.

Its done by email now...
    the letters used only be sent out before the end of year exam results

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

My news is good. Such a relief! Yeaaaaaaaah.

Advertisement