Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn Exam Results.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 xmcam

so disappointed about the results, :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mon one

Can somebody explain the QCA system - I understand that the different grades get a different QCA mark eg A1 gets a 4 QCA and an A2 gets a 3.6 QCA. Is an A1/A2 the same as the CAO system.

If this is the case and a QCA of 2 is needed to pass am i correct in saying that a C3 is needed to pass which is 55% plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

mon one wrote: »
    Can somebody explain the QCA system - I understand that the different grades get a different QCA mark eg A1 gets a 4 QCA and an A2 gets a 3.6 QCA. Is an A1/A2 the same as the CAO system.

If this is the case and a QCA of 2 is needed to pass am i correct in saying that a C3 is needed to pass which is 55% plus.

Afaik the grading system differs from course to course so you'll have to check how the marks are allocated in the module you are enquiring about. In my course a c3 or higher is good. A d1 or lower is a compensating fail but a repeat is capped at c3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

b's across the board thank god. also managed to pick up an exemption that i missed at undergrad level not bad for a semesters work.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

An A2, happy as a pig in plop! :D

QCA up to 2.8 now, so if I can get a decent grade in summer I should break the 3.0 barrier this year, which would make me insanely happy.

On a slightly different topic,
    Did anyone see the series of C's under Status and think "****"... :P

Yes! :eek: It freaked me out for a second. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Happy with my results especially since I thought for sure I might have failed my two history exams! B's all round! :D However, feel a bit disappointed I got a B2 in one where I could have done 10 times better, but I won't dwell on it bit late now!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Crashed during the last two exams, couldn't remember the most basic of formulas. Started off with an A, then B, then C and finished off with 2 D1s.

QCA of 2.4 now, was really hoping to crack 3.0 last semster. Glad there's no pressure on me to repeat, but I can if I want to. I wanted to do a "Year in Industry" in motorsport as an engineering intern in the UK, but that's lucking highly unlikely unless I can get 3.6 this semster :( Would be very likely if I could get that though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    An A2, happy as a pig in plop! :D

QCA up to 2.8 now, so if I can get a decent grade in summer I should break the 3.0 barrier this year, which would make me insanely happy.

Well done, mate! I managed to drag mine up from 2.48 to 3.2, so if I maintain a B1 average for the next year and a half, I should be able to get a First Class Honours! Never thought I would have been able to get it up that high. Would have been delighted with a 2.8

chrislad wrote: »
    Well done, mate! I managed to drag mine up from 2.48 to 3.2, so if I maintain a B1 average for the next year and a half, I should be able to get a First Class Honours! Never thought I would have been able to get it up that high. Would have been delighted with a 2.8

Isn't a first 3.4 and higher? A B1 average would keep you at 3.2 right?

Question: Is a QCA of 3.1 good for second year?:) Thank you!

• Advertisement

Yup :)

Thinly veiled "Look at my high QCA!" post...

:pac:

Yes, it's very good. Maintain and improve on it, and you're looking at a very good degree.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Thinly veiled "Look at my high QCA!" post...

:pac:

Yes, it's very good. Maintain and improve on it, and you're looking at a very good degree.

Oh God!:D That was my real intention all along!:pac: I'm convinced since someone said it's good, that it can't possibly my QCA or I'm looking at the wrong thing. I plan to, just have to keep telling myself that it will all pay off in the end!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭sibby

Stupid D1 ruining my chances of my first ever qca above 3.0!!!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Daniel S wrote: »
    Isn't a first 3.4 and higher? A B1 average would keep you at 3.2 right?

I'd need a couple of As, but if I get about 3.3, it will get bumped :)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Nic Neptune

Couldn't be happier. :D:D Got 2 A1s, an A2, B1 and a B2. Crushed about the A2 in one of my English modules, as I was only less than a percent (.9%) away from the A1. :/ I think that equates to me only having needed to get one or two more questions right in the quiz. :O Oh well! QCA of 3.56, so hoping I can push that a tad higher for the next semester. :D Could have done better in history, so my new year's resolution is to get at least one A in history. :P *acquires vast quantities of caffeine* :P

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Couldn't be happier. :D:D Got 2 A1s, an A2, B1 and a B2. Crushed about the A2 in one of my English modules, as I was only less than a percent (.9%) away from the A1. :/ I think that equates to me only having needed to get one or two more questions right in the quiz. :O Oh well! QCA of 3.56, so hoping I can push that a tad higher for the next semester. :D Could have done better in history, so my new year's resolution is to get at least one A in history. :P *acquires vast quantities of caffeine* :P

My exact results and QCA too :)
    Haha .. different modules and course I'd imagine though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5 laura101

hey guys - i'm in trouble!! basically i didnt hand in the first part of my fyp (600 words, im in 3rd yr) until a few days ago, dont ask- long story, it was to be in in dec and i informed lecturer it would be late, she said no panic but didnt give a specific date for extension. anyway i'm sure she didnt mean wait till a few days before results are out!! so i got results today and got an NG for 1st part of fyp, my QCA dropped from 3 to 2.5, and I got an email sayin i cant progress blah blah because of NG. i cant get the lecturer on the phone, im told ive to repeat but repeat what when it's gone in, oh god help...

laura101 wrote: »
    hey guys - i'm in trouble!! basically i didnt hand in the first part of my fyp (600 words, im in 3rd yr) until a few days ago, dont ask- long story, it was to be in in dec and i informed lecturer it would be late, she said no panic but didnt give a specific date for extension. anyway i'm sure she didnt mean wait till a few days before results are out!! so i got results today and got an NG for 1st part of fyp, my QCA dropped from 3 to 2.5, and I got an email sayin i cant progress blah blah because of NG. i cant get the lecturer on the phone, im told ive to repeat but repeat what when it's gone in, oh god help...

Wait until next week to get the lecturer on the phone, they may not be in their office. Get in touch with your Course Director or your Student Advisor(you'll find details in the Student Portal and ask).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 laura101

thanks i dont think i can wait until next week though, is it possible they wont accept it now

• Advertisement

biohaiid wrote: »
    My exact results and QCA too :)
    Haha .. different modules and course I'd imagine though :P

Yay for us! *high five* :p I'm in English and History. Yourself?

Delighted to say the least :D
    Psychology and Sociology :)

Delighted to say the least :D
    Psychology and Sociology :)

Ah cool. :) I take Sociology as my elective. :D *takes this moment to say that Amanda is bloody awesome.* :D

Ah cool. :) I take Sociology as my elective. :D *takes this moment to say that Amanda is bloody awesome.* :D

You taking it again this semester? :)
    I love that woman. :D
    Such a nice lady who is actually enthusiastic and knows what she is talking about ... and is very generous when handing out A1s :P

Yay, another English and History person on boards!:) Hopefully you're in a higher year than me (second year) so you can tell me if the course gets better or worse!:p

You taking it again this semester? :)
    I love that woman. :D
    Such a nice lady who is actually enthusiastic and knows what she is talking about ... and is very generous when handing out A1s :P

Oh, I know! I had her for my tutorials - loved them! I was so shocked when I got an A1! :eek: She's the only corrector that returned an essay that was filled to the brim with compliments. I just appreciated it so much that she would go to THAT much effort to be nice. Fair woman!

Yup, I'm taking it again this semester. :D

Yay, another English and History person on boards!:) Hopefully you're in a higher year than me (second year) so you can tell me if the course gets better or worse!:p

Lower year actually. :p Just a pesky little first year.

Oh, I know! I had her for my tutorials - loved them! I was so shocked when I got an A1! :eek: She's the only corrector that returned an essay that was filled to the brim with compliments. I just appreciated it so much that she would go to THAT much effort to be nice. Fair woman!

Yup, I'm taking it again this semester. :D

She was brilliant with the essays.
    It was the first college one I ever wrote so didn't expect to do that well on it, but her praise and constructive criticism were just lovely :)

Sociology this semester looks interesting .. I think there's some crime and ethics in there .. and can't wait to have her as a lecturer again :)

She was brilliant with the essays.
    It was the first college one I ever wrote so didn't expect to do that well on it, but her praise and constructive criticism were just lovely :)

Sociology this semester looks interesting .. I think there's some crime and ethics in there .. and can't wait to have her as a lecturer again :)

Same for me, I was so nervous! My other lecturers in English *all hail Cathy and David!!! :p * gave general comments and had a compliment or two there, but it was mainly all constructive criticism, so it was nice to get such positive feedback from Amanda in comparison. Jesus, compared to history anyway, she was so benevolent! They're very strict in history. A formatting error knocked my essay from an A2 to a B1 - I was seething! :p

That sounds really interesting. :D I love analysing crime and ethics and that kind of thing in general, so I think I'll enjoy this semester.

We should make banners for Amanda when she walks in for the first lecture. :p Imagine!

• Advertisement

Lower year actually. :p Just a pesky little first year.
    This is the last time I'll reply, afraid to derail the thread (sorry).:p Oh dear, can't be seen conversing with a first year!:p Did I see someone mention David C - LOVE HIM!:D Alistair for history is a dote too!

Advertisement