Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

remote control switch

Options
  • 23-01-2013 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Hi

Im upgrading to a remote controlled switch with an internal thermostat.

The setup however is a little awkward.

The house has its thermostat in the hall that opens and closes a valve in the hot press to turn on and off the down stairs pipes.

The boiler has an inbuilt timer and is fed from a switch directly underneath the boiler, which happens to be just over a radiator in the coldest part of the house, which is not a suitable location for the new control.

I have found a 240V supply next to the hall heating control that could run the new heating control.

I don't think the valve has ever operated to turn off the radiators downstairs as the thermometer is in a cool section of the house that would never reach the temperature its set at.

I was thinking of shorting the two switch leads on the hot water valve, thus permanently opening the valve to the radiators and using the existing thermostat leads in the hall to control the power supply to the boiler.

In summer time we would switch off the boiler anyway and use the immersion to heat the water required so I'm not to worried about loosing the ability to shut off the downstairs radiators in summer, its too much of a pain to go around switching off the radiators upstairs so we can just get hot water....

Would this be the best way to proceed?

Advertisement