Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The big switch Puppy to Adult Food

• 23-01-2013 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

In the next month or two (when he finished the two bags of food he got for christmas!) my little yorkie will be making his move from Hills puppy mini to an adult food.

The hills puppy mini we could only get in chicken and can only imagine how board he must be of eating the same thing everyday.. has anyone got any recommendations in the same price line of what i should put him on to when we make the switch?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

You could try chicken with rice and throw in some broccoli and other veg to the mix your dog would love it.
    For a dog your size even if you only fed him that it would probably work out almost the same price as what your paying now anyway!

Switching over to the adult version isn't really that much of a big change at all for the dogs.

There isn't a massive difference in the foods from the puppy package to the adult package.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DaisyD2

First - Congrats! Woohoo, puppy photos please ;)

Second - don't worry about boredom factor, my DaisyDawg is four next week & only eats Bakers Small Dog beef n veg. For same reason as you ("she must be bored") I've tried pretty much every other wet/dry food out there & she doesn't like wet food at all or some dry foods so I stick with what I know she'll eat. She gets treats but as shes very small I break treats up into tiny portions so shes never getting more than 1 a day of reg dog treat. My mums Yorkie eats same thing so they're both happy robbing each others food bowls on visits/sleepovers :-)

When changing over to adult food, mix it in toward end of current bag say over last week as it will have different nutrient content & probably different taste even though its same brand & flavor. Mixing them will make transition easier on small tummy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Don't worry about boredom, humans have around 9,000 taste buds, dogs have around 1,700 so the flavour of the food isn't that important to them. Smell is far more important, which is why they'll eat things off the floor that turns our stomach :rolleyes:

As advised, just mix the new food in with the old so that you are gradually reducing the old and increasing the new until you are feeding just the adult food.

Advertisement