Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement for blackberries in corporate environment

Options
  • 23-01-2013 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭

Not sure if I have this in the right forum, but I am looking for Sys admin etc, who have experience in a corporate environment with phones.
    Looking to replace blackberry, and would mlike to know opinions on the best replacement to use.
    -No Apple-don't ask!
    -Android is good for home users, hackable and customisable, but that may not be good from a sys admin point of view, with people messing around with their units
    -What about windows mobile, anyone had experience with win phone 8 in acorporate environment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

HSE deploy android quite successfully AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭squrm

http://www.air-watch.com/

We have both android and iOS devices and this product works well for both. not the most user-friendly setup process but once done is very configurable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Cheers for the info so far lads. Main reason behind this is I heard BB10 will require a whole new server setup, as the current BES software is not compatible.
    If we are going to the bother of upgrading, we may as well take the chance to move to a solution that's more future proof, in case BB goes down the swanny

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Tomtata

I would go with Windows Mobile if Apple is not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Not sure if I have this in the right forum, but I am looking for Sys admin etc, who have experience in a corporate environment with phones.
    Looking to replace blackberry, and would mlike to know opinions on the best replacement to use.
    -No Apple-don't ask!
    -Android is good for home users, hackable and customisable, but that may not be good from a sys admin point of view, with people messing around with their units
    -What about windows mobile, anyone had experience with win phone 8 in acorporate environment?

What about the new BlackBerry's being launched next month (announcement on Jan 30th)?
    http://crackberry.com/tags/blackberry-z10
    http://crackberry.com/tags/blackberry-x10
    BlackBerry Enterprise 10 has just been launched too:
    http://crackberry.com/blackberry-10-webcasts-now-available-your-viewing-pleasure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,261 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

We use Good in our place. Easy to setup and even easier to manage. Similar to air watch

www1.good.com/applications/good-for-enterprise

cookie1977 wrote: »
    What about the new BlackBerry's being launched next month (announcement on Jan 30th)?
    http://crackberry.com/tags/blackberry-z10
    http://crackberry.com/tags/blackberry-x10
    BlackBerry Enterprise 10 has just been launched too:
    http://crackberry.com/blackberry-10-webcasts-now-available-your-viewing-pleasure

Vodafone don't have any licensing costs yet, not until end of March, so we are looking at getting something in before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Windows phones are brilliant especially if you are running Exchange as the phones integrate in beautifully. You also can roll out security settings over the domain for the phones themselves and lock down features, force updates, and configure basic connection settings.

CptSternn wrote: »
    Windows phones are brilliant especially if you are running Exchange as the phones integrate in beautifully. You also can roll out security settings over the domain for the phones themselves and lock down features, force updates, and configure basic connection settings.
    Cheers-what software is needed on the server side for management?

We use Good in our place. Easy to setup and even easier to manage. Similar to air watch

www1.good.com/applications/good-for-enterprise

Any idea of rough licensing costs for Good, I heard it was expensive? We only have about 30 devices.

• Advertisement

Any idea of rough licensing costs for Good, I heard it was expensive? We only have about 30 devices.

Lucky you, just got the renewal in there yesterday.

SKU|Product Description|Quantity|List Price|Sales Price|Extended Price
    GFE.24X7.TS.SERVER|Good For Enterprise Extended Support (annual server fee, requires minimum 25 users)|1|430,00 €|430,00 €|430,00 €
    GFE.24X7.TS.USER|Good For Enterprise Extended Support (annual user fee, requires minimum 25 users)|200|24,00 €|24,00 €|4 800,00 €
    TOTAL: 5 230,00 €
    Any other questions let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Cheers-what software is needed on the server side for management?

You need only Exchange 201x (2010 /2013) or the one that comes with SBS flavors !

Mobile Device / Active Sync,you can get extra MMCs built to manage the mobile devices !

Using it,works perfect with Windows Mobo phone (full experience for end user) and on Android,more or less same but no tasks synchronized !!

You need only Exchange 201x (2010 /2013) or the one that comes with SBS flavors !

Mobile Device / Active Sync,you can get extra MMCs built to manage the mobile devices !

Using it,works perfect with Windows Mobo phone (full experience for end user) and on Android,more or less same but no tasks synchronized !!

Cheers for the info. Any licensing costs then for this? Windows Mobile licenses?

For our environment, we need push email (instantly delivered to device). Does activesync provide this? I'm thinking pull would drain the battery by constant checking.
    From a security point of view, do you have to publish the exchange server on port 443? Would the ssl cert need to be on the device in advance?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Cheers for the info. Any licensing costs then for this? Windows Mobile licenses?

The only cost is:

-hardware:good spec server platform,12/16GB of RAM,plenty of hard drives.
    -software:SBS201x "and / or" Exchange 2010/2013.

CALs,the ones that comes with the server OS + Exchange if needed.
    SSL certs,prices at 100-200 pa.
    For our environment, we need push email (instantly delivered to device). Does activesync provide this? I'm thinking pull would drain the battery by constant checking.
    From a security point of view, do you have to publish the exchange server on port 443? Would the ssl cert need to be on the device in advance?

You need to open 443 port on fwall and direct it to your internal Exchange server.

Active Sync does all of the dirty work.
    You have same experience / interface as in Microsoft Outlook,which is great appreciated by some users,especially MDs.
    You have your email sent / received (marked read-unread),calendar,contacts,tasks and SharePoint if present !

You'll need a valid SSL ,comes at around 100-200 per one year.

Re battery,yes it will kind of kill it but you can set up to do auto polls at 5,15,30,60 minutes or manually.

Recently,Microsoft have released nice tools / MMC for controlling mobile devices,i didn't had the time to play with ... yet !

Have fun...

Lucky you, just got the renewal in there yesterday.

SKU|Product Description|Quantity|List Price|Sales Price|Extended Price
    GFE.24X7.TS.SERVER|Good For Enterprise Extended Support (annual server fee, requires minimum 25 users)|1|430,00 €|430,00 €|430,00 €
    GFE.24X7.TS.USER|Good For Enterprise Extended Support (annual user fee, requires minimum 25 users)|200|24,00 €|24,00 €|4 800,00 €
    TOTAL: 5 230,00 €
    Any other questions let me know.
    Hi,
    Just wondering if these prices are renewal prices? Or would the initial price be much the same?

Hi,
    Just wondering if these prices are renewal prices? Or would the initial price be much the same?

Annual renewal. Not sure if they discount if you say pay for 3years up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭kevc2

We currently have 30-40 iPhones in work. We manage them using Mobile Iron. Mobile Iron is handy for pushing out profiles to the iPhones (push out wifi profiles and mail profiles mainly). You can apply some restrictions to the phones. Mobile Iron sits in front of the exchange.

At the moment we are trialling 2 Windows 8 phones, they are pretty good but they lack apps at the moment. I would think that windows phones are the way to go if you have a windows based environment in work but not for a few more months. iPhones are good but are a lot of hassle opening and editing office documents, the format always gets messed up. Windows 8 phones come with office installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Monkeyjoe

We have been using touchdown for android for years now.
    Keeps the corporate and private environments separated with a pin.

All phones are hooked up to samsungs dive so we can track them if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Monkeyjoe

The only cost is:

-hardware:good spec server platform,12/16GB of RAM,plenty of hard drives.
    -software:SBS201x "and / or" Exchange 2010/2013.

CALs,the ones that comes with the server OS + Exchange if needed.
    SSL certs,prices at 100-200 pa.

You need to open 443 port on fwall and direct it to your internal Exchange server.

Active Sync does all of the dirty work.
    You have same experience / interface as in Microsoft Outlook,which is great appreciated by some users,especially MDs.
    You have your email sent / received (marked read-unread),calendar,contacts,tasks and SharePoint if present !

You'll need a valid SSL ,comes at around 100-200 per one year.

Re battery,yes it will kind of kill it but you can set up to do auto polls at 5,15,30,60 minutes or manually.

Recently,Microsoft have released nice tools / MMC for controlling mobile devices,i didn't had the time to play with ... yet !

Have fun...

You can use normal cheapo ssl certs for the mail\activesync
    mine costs about €5 a year

http://www.namecheap.com/ssl-certificates/comodo/positivessl-certificate.aspx?gclid=CO3ok_2C3rUCFUaV4QodkUoATw

• Advertisement
Advertisement