Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Recording without installing S/W

Options
  • 23-01-2013 3:02pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi

Is there any way of recording PC gaming footage without installing software on the PC and onto a portable drive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

The only recording/streaming software I know that doesn't require registry entries might be OBS. But I'd say there isn't any.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

is there any hardware that would do it that wouldn't require s/w install.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

How do you imagine that would work?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    How do you imagine that would work?

It might possibly work with this:

http://www.avermedia.com/product/ProductDetail.aspx?Id=556

if he also bought a converter to change the VGA/HDMI/DVI signal to component.

Also possibly requiring a signal splitter depending how the OS/ graphics card handles dual screen display.

I am always very cautious about devices like this though because you've no way to monitor the recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I guess so yeah. Seems mental to go about it that way rather than just record the gameplay with software though. :pac:

• Advertisement

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    I guess so yeah. Seems mental to go about it that way rather than just record the gameplay with software though. :pac:

Yeah this is literally about 100 times dearer than just downloading xsplit or FFsplit or fraps or something!

Thanks for the comments.

The problem is that i need to capture footage from a PC that isn't mine - one of the games development rigs during a pre-launch play through. They'll allow recording but no installation of S/W

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments.

The problem is that i need to capture footage from a PC that isn't mine - one of the games development rigs during a pre-launch play through. They'll allow recording but no installation of S/W

Hmm, ok.

Can the computer output in HDMI? Then you could just connect it to a hauppage 2 or similar with software on another computer. Devices like that have lagless 1080p pass through too.

Hmm, ok.

Can the computer output in HDMI? Then you could just connect it to a hauppage 2 or similar with software on another computer. Devices like that have lagless 1080p pass through too.

Actually never thought of using a 2nd computer - I'll check that out - thanks

Advertisement