Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom promising broadband - eircom engineers laughing at the idea!

• 23-01-2013 3:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi all

This is my first time posting in this forum, so hoping I won't make a mess of it!

I live in Kilsallaghan, Co Dublin. I recently got a phone line reactivitated in the house and have ordered broadband - Eircom assure me that we can get up to 24mb broadband on the line, uncongested etc etc.

And here's where my concern is.... Eircom couldn't remotely reconnect my landline so they sent out an engineer, who in turn needed to call in a crew to work on the line on the road. I told the engineers that I was getting broadband and they found it hilarious - they said that Eircom customer support had no business selling me broadband as it's not available in my area as I am 10 miles from the Finglas Exchange (we are one of the last houses on the Finglas Exchange).

I have rang Eircom again about this and they say that they can supply broadband no problems due to it being NGB so congestion and distance don't impact it - does that sound right?

I know I can wait until tomorrow when it's actually turned on and see for myself - but am wondering what kind of come back I have if it doesn't work? (it's the reason we are getting the land line)

Would it be unusual to be told broadband is available on a land line and then for it not to be?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If you are ten miles as the crow flies then you are probably nearer 13/15 as the wire goes. Given the general state if the copy wires I would be surprised if the line is capable of supporting broadband.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

You may be lucky, but I will be surprised if it will work, the Kilsallaghan area is a black hole as far as Eircom is concerned, depending on which part you are in, it could be Finglas, Ashbourne or Swords exchange, and the distances to all of them make any sort of reliable broadband unlikely, a client of mine has problems with a fax line to the swords exchange, due to the distance.

What may end up being the best option for you could be a wireless connect, at the Glebe road area, the same client has the Ripplecom wireless system, previously Ice broadband, and that seems to work well, which is probably a good thing, as none of the mobile broadband services are reliable in that area either. They also offer phone over the IP system, so that makes voice connect viable as well. You will need to check to see if they can provide service to your location.

Best of luck with this, to have this much trouble getting a sensible broadband signal this close to Dublin shows just how bad the real situation with broadband is in Ireland, and this is another issue to add to the growing list of things that make Ireland uncompetitive when compared to so much of the rest of Europe.

Sorry if that seems negative, but the broadband issue for small business in rural areas is a nightmare.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭baby builder

Well - needless to say all was not smooth yesterday! No DSL light lit on the router so service engineer due out by Monday.

Rather than reposting - I wrote all about it on the eircom thread http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056864503.

Let the fun and games begin!:rolleyes:

Advertisement