Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swim Question - altitude and water depth

Options
  • 23-01-2013 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭

All,
    I was away last week and was swimming in a new pool. My times were around 10s per 100 slower than normal. What impact would the following 2 items have on my times?

1. Swimming at an altitude of 2100m
    2. Swimming in a pool that was 2.5m deep for the full length of the pool. My normal pool goes from 1.9m to 1.4m IIRC.

A few others had a short dip and they all thought there was a current in the pool. Not sure I agree but maybe altitude and deeper pool gave them this sensation.

Cheers.

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

pgibbo wrote: »
    All,
    I was away last week and was swimming in a new pool. My times were around 10s per 100 slower than normal. What impact would the following 2 items have on my times?

2. Swimming in a pool that was 2.5m deep for the full length of the pool. My normal pool goes from 1.9m to 1.4m IIRC.

A few others had a short dip and they all thought there was a current in the pool. Not sure I agree but maybe altitude and deeper pool gave them this sensation.

Cheers.

P.

I'd say you drank too much and that slowed you down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

If anything the crystal clear mountain water should have made me faster! :D

BTW - I don't drink

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

pgibbo wrote: »
    All,

Cheers.

P.

Deeper pools are faster.

However altitude.......... Swam once at 3500m, damn near killed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

http://www.ddst.org/ddst/UserFiles/File/Times/altitude.pdf

that might help you as a general guidline but their is so many different factors involved and in the first few days of arrival you need to get adapted to 2100 m altitude .
    some people deal really well with alitude and some dont.

and deeper is faster but your pool is already 1.5 m deep so the difference theirs should not be that big but its defo not slower

It might sound stupid but your best answer is actually it slowed you down by 10 sec ( few most liely becaseu you had a bad day ) I dodnt think you will find anything more accurate.

out of interest where did you swim and was it 50m vs 25 at home?

I was swimming in Tignes Peter. It was a25m pool. I swim in a 25m at home too. A full day of skiing each day would have had an impact too. However, times with the pull buoy were slower too so that got me thinking it might be more to do with altitude/pool than fatigue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Of course you are slower in the first days.and the chart i linked is more for adaptet athletes.
    The protocol for high altitude camps is a few easy days at the begining of the training camp
    2100m is serious altitude and for quite a few world class athletes like grant hacket it has proven to be to high for them.

the one thing that is important you did a good training session you kept the feeling for the water, and all is good.

peter kern wrote: »
    the one thing that is important you did a good training session you kept the feeling for the water, and all is good.

I did enjoy the swims - particularly observing an English guy doing 800m repeats at 1:35/100m pace. He made it look very easy and effortless :cool:

Advertisement