Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Rent allowance not accepted'

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dub.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    It will cost you more money to do it and the LL can always refuse to sign the forms too. You don't have to accept RA and are liable for the rent still and lose your deposit. Not a great idea

You still receive rent allowance, even without the Landlords signature.

You just need the original lease, which will have the LL`s details on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Dub. wrote: »

Doesn't it need the LL pps number as well?

srsly78 wrote: »
    Doesn't it need the LL pps number as well?

I`m not sure. But i do know they make allowances for the type of LL who would refuse to sign your application form.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I`m not sure. But i do know they make allowances for the type of LL who would refuse to sign your application form.

That's not true.
    I was on Rent Allowance for a while and the Landlord HAD to sign the forms, every year without fail when the rent was up for review.
    The third page on the form is specifically for the Landlord, where he fills out

-Number of bedrooms in property
    -Name of tenant
    -Asks if the rent is in arrears and if so, how much?

He also has to supply his PRTB number and his name, address and telephone number.

There's no way you can receive rent allowance with that form left uncompleted by the Landlord and no CWO will "make allowances for LL's who refuse to sign the forms"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Simply not true. You need the LL to sign a lot over the year when claiming from the state.
    It is bad advise and also illegal advise you have given. Likely to further isolate RA tenets from LL if it became common. Great start to a relationship to start with lies. Not likely to find a place that accept the amount of RA that doesn't accept it, in Dublin for sure

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'd be curious to get that confirmed from somewhere official.

I've seen previous threads where people didn't need the LL details, PPS etc. The LL not signing the form I have no idea if thats required.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

You sign your lease, then tell your Landlord that you lost your job and have to apply for rent allowance.
    Which is why I always check the employment reference.
    Personally, i would recommend letting the Landlord keep the deposit, as it can be a massive hassle to recover from some of these people . Much easier to just hold on to the last month`s rent

Again, nothing they can do about it.

And that there folks is exactly why we can't have nice things. Sadly this attitude is not that uncommon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭_oveless_

I don't know about more expensive apartments but for bedsits in the -500 a month range the no rent allowance is code for no unemployed applicants, which is ironic as people on social welfare are the only people who would need a place that cheap.

fussyonion wrote: »
    That's not true.
    I was on Rent Allowance for a while and the Landlord HAD to sign the forms, every year without fail when the rent was up for review.

Not true. I received rent allowance for two years when the LL refused to sign the application form.They will not refuse an application just because of an awkward LL .

Zulu wrote: »

And that there folks is exactly why we can't have nice things. Sadly this attitude is not that uncommon.

Tough. A lovely girl across the hall from me waited months for the return of her deposit. In the meantime she had to approach a moneylender to pay for the deposit on her next place.

Sorry, but she would have been far better off holding on to her last months rent and letting the LL keep the deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I rented out an apartment there recently.
    I didn't put 'Rent Allowance not accepted' in the ad, simply didn't mention it.

I had a lot of people ring and ask me if I accepted it. I explained that it wasn't a problem provided:

1) The RA covered the full rent.
    2) They had the deposit up front

I never heard back from any of them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

I`ve never heard of a lease that allows for eviction if the tenant loses his job. Is that even legal? And most tenants will have their deposit readily available after leaving their previous accommodation.

Personally, i would recommend letting the Landlord keep the deposit, as it can be a massive hassle to recover from some of these people . Much easier to just hold on to the last month`s rent and use that to pay the deposit on the next place.

Again, nothing they can do about it.

If you don't pay the rent then what happens is you have broken the lease and can be evicted for that.

2-3 months deposit is normal on the continent, along with maintenance/management fees on top of the "cold" rent. The government has let landlords down a lot compared to tenants rights, so the result will be minimum income requirements (typical is e.g., salary = 4 x monthly rent in Holland for example), a 2 months+ deposit, etc., etc., .

Probably a good thing and will generate mutual respect which in Ireland is lacking; run down properties unmaintained and tenants who destroy interiors and leave a month's deposit to cover a couple of grand of damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Like I mentioned above, I was receiving RA for a while.

I hated having to ask my LL to fill out the forms and dreaded the rent review every year, just waiting for the news that RA had been cut.
    Even more humiliating was asking my LL if he could reduce the rent so that I'd be within the new rent limits for my area.

I hated it because he was such a great LL and I completely understood why he was getting frustrated-he had a mortgage to pay and why should he suffer just because my RA was being cut?

I always said I was actually on his side and even now I'm off RA, I still feel sorry for the LL's who have to suffer the consequences of RA being reduced and being asked to reduce the rent.

If I was a LL, I think I would also refuse to accept RA, but not because I have anything against tenants receiving it, but because the system is all wrong and it ends up being stressful for not only the LL, but for the tenant too, who has to face possible evictions when their allowance is being cut and they can't get their rent reduced.

I've been in this situation, I KNOW how stressful it is when that review form comes through the door every January-it's horrible.
    I have nothing against the people on RA, I just feel it's a no-win situation for both parties in some scenarios, but I realise it can work smoothly for others.

Sorry for ranting, just thought I'd throw my experience into the hat.

I wish anyone on RA the best of luck and hope you don't have to rely on it for a long time-if you do, I hope things aren't too hard for you.

Advertisement