Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Under The Dome [CBS - US] [** Spoilers **] (Warning in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

i liked the first two seasons, but it lost it's way for me with the third one, and the forth was just bad imo

Hey can you use that time machine to give us some hints on how Dexter and Breaking Bad end? Cheers! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

forth season isnt out yet is it? lol my bad, i gave up watching after a few episodes into the third one. I'll go edit my post then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

Latest episode is lightweight fluff but brain dead entertaining! I loved the chaos breaking out and I reckon too there'll be a lot of dead diabetics soon! The truck crash was funny! To be honest, what let the episode down for me was the rain. It's lovely and sunny and they're worrying about having no water. Now nobody at all sees storm clouds forming, infact they don't even block out the sun but... whamo! Now a downpour and the sun still isn't even blocked out. Just seems a bit silly really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

squonk wrote: »
    Latest episode is lightweight fluff but brain dead entertaining! I loved the chaos breaking out and I reckon too there'll be a lot of dead diabetics soon! The truck crash was funny! To be honest, what let the episode down for me was the rain. It's lovely and sunny and they're worrying about having no water. Now nobody at all sees storm clouds forming, infact they don't even block out the sun but... whamo! Now a downpour and the sun still isn't even blocked out. Just seems a bit silly really.

I think they are on quite a tight budget, Hopefully next season they will be able to tidy up those type of scenes you mentioned.

Good episode this week.

If I was Joe I'd be giving serious thought to having the physical act of love with that pouty bird in an effort to destroy the dome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

big jim said something strange, he got out the car and oh look it suddenlly started raining out of nowhere, but he didn't sound surprised.

• Advertisement

big jim said something strange, he got out the car and oh look it suddenlly started raining out of nowhere, but he didn't sound surprised.

Himself, the Sheriff and the Priest knew something was about to happen, they'd stockpiled loads of stuff before the dome came down/up whatever.

Himself, the Sheriff and the Priest knew something was about to happen, they'd stockpiled loads of stuff before the dome came down/up whatever.

Weren't they stockpiling stuff to make drugs on the QT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

why did he go out the your mans farm that had the well if he knew that it was going to start raining

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

where exactly was the guy in the truck delivering to in full uniform in a sealed off town?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

^ ^ ^ ^ THIS!!!

Good man Skerries! I laughed out loud reading that point! You're so right!!!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Thargor wrote: »
    Looking out the window is better than Falling Skies.

From keeping up with this thread it appears licking said window is as good as UTD get's :P

sums up this ep e31.jpg

Weren't they stockpiling stuff to make drugs on the QT?

that could make sense, but i still get the feeling that big jim knows more than he's said.

that could make sense, but i still get the feeling that big jim knows more than he's said.

I think that the Dome is actually Big Jim's ex wife back from the grave (is she dead?) and she's out for revenge after Jim's seed gave her a crazy tool for a son.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Skerries wrote: »
    where exactly was the guy in the truck delivering to in full uniform in a sealed off town?

That scene actually ruined the episode for me. I was practically shouting at the tv.

Also, how many people are in the town - especially to have nearly 30 Diabetics? There only ever seems to be a handful at these meetings etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

How can you renew a one season show........?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

How can you renew a one season show........?

Do a Prison Break.
    Season 2 could be following the characters after they get out of the Dome and then Season 3 could be them all getting trapped in a new Dome in Mexico or semewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Only got round to watching this last night. I think the show has pretty much found it's level. Promises much (resource conflict coming to the fore), shows glimpses of that promise (money no good, barter system, panic & riots) but descends into the ridiculous pretty quickly (the looting of FOOD ends abruptly as soon as it starts to rain and everyone is happy again).

It's entertaining... but it's quickly becoming entertaining fluff. At least they are trying to progress the sci-fi elements of it with the connection of the two kids. Interesting to see where that goes. Huge divergence from the book right there.

It was great to see society start to crumble but that female cop is ridiculous. She needs to go, she's the single worst thing about the show. Barbie and the reporter kissing was a LOL moment. Seriously like, talk about a forced relationship.

oh the dialogue between the two teenagers is sooooooooooooooooooo bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

more strange acting fire when Jim shot the truck.

• Advertisement

they are fairly killing of the cast members must be one a week if not more.i think there was 4 gone this week.stange ep,with the dome being inside a small dome

Gwan Junior ya nutter!

Is the dome collecting the souls of the people who die in it?

Best episode since the opener. Surprise surprise the female cop had minimal screen time :)

But seriously, the whole episode felt a lot tighter and more focused than previous. The writers have managed to manoeuvre themselves out of the corner they wrote themselves in to with the Angie/Junior storyline. Junior's brutal, emotionless slaying of the second brother was more menacing than any of the stuff with Angie previous (where just came off as an OTT deluded boyfriend with anger issues). The death of the Mom was well played too and actually packed a bit of an emotional punch.

There were still some silly moments and patchy acting in places but this was far better stuff and the dome plot took leaps which is great. There seems to be a very 'LOST' vibe to the dome developing. Much like the 'island' had a sort of awareness or sentience, the dome is doing similar, tricking people into seeing things to manipulate them. It's quite an interesting twist on the story instead of it being just a mysterious dome without motive. We now have some sort of insight into the dome through the two kids. Wonder will they let anyone else know of their find. For the first time, the show has really opened up a can of worms with lots of potential for what way it could go. I'm still holding out for an "outside world" episode with the army. What's the bets another similar orb thing is found on the outside.

so we won't mention the whole insulin thing made no sense and the getting disorientated was the opposite of what would happen if you lacked insulin

so we won't mention the whole insulin thing made no sense and the getting disorientated was the opposite of what would happen if you lacked insulin

I'm not familiar with the effects insulin (or a lack of) has on a person. Worked for me as a plot device though.

Bacchus wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with the effects insulin (or a lack of) has on a person. Worked for me as a plot device though.
    when she was holding the babys foot she seemed to get worse as in the baby was having an effect on her some how.
    will the baby be like the two teenagers

you're their target audience then obviously

naughto wrote: »
    when she was holding the babys foot she seemed to get worse as in the baby was having an effect on her some how.
    will the baby be like the two teenagers

It did feel like there was something dome related going on there.
    you're their target audience then obviously

People who are not familiar with the effects of insulin? Bizarre target audience. But seriously, are you really trying to have a dig at me for watching a show that you are also watching?

• Advertisement

im having a dig at you and the show for saying its good, i'll give up on it

but yet still comment on here you should team up woth conor and ye can both post about it even though your not watching

What an odd thing to do, and surely a waste of your time (to watch 7 episodes of a show you don't like and take digs at people who discuss it).

If you even read any of my posts in here, I'm still on the fence about the show but the potential is there so I'm sticking with it. I thought that last episode was one of the best it's produced so far. But instead of actually taking part in a discussion, you make one line comments mocking the show (and its viewers)... yet you tune in the following week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

^ this is the kind of nonsense that ends up with Big Jim running after you with his shotgun and domes appearing and eggs that glow in the night and teenagers coming up with creative excuses to have sex and cops that can't act and all sorts of whatnot. Next they'll be smoking crack and cooking meth. Whoops, half right there already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Hi,
    I haven't seen any of this and have read the book, to those that have seen it , how close does it stick to the book ?

thanks

the_monkey wrote: »
    Hi,
    I haven't seen any of this and have read the book, to those that have seen it , how close does it stick to the book ?

thanks

Well... there's a dome and all the characters are there... give or take.

It diverges pretty quickly. It was fairly obvious from the reports that this was aiming to be multi season that they were not going to go down the route of the book which escalates quickly to the point where the show would have nowhere to go (much like the characters :P). There's also a lot less focus on the propane and drug lab Big Jim had going. It has only been mentioned in passing so far. Methinks they are saving that for later.

It is much slower paced than the book and TBH there's a fair amount of fluff in it. Some dodgy acting and silly moments dotted around too. It hasn't quite lived up to my hopes for it but the last episode (ep. 7) finally showed some promise. Hopefully it keeps it up this week :)

• Advertisement

So for pure Summer fare/not much on...how does the show hold up?

Well... there's a dome and all the characters are there... give or take.

It diverges pretty quickly. It was fairly obvious from the reports that this was aiming to be multi season that they were not going to go down the route of the book which escalates quickly to the point where the show would have nowhere to go (much like the characters :P). There's also a lot less focus on the propane and drug lab Big Jim had going. It has only been mentioned in passing so far. Methinks they are saving that for later.

It is much slower paced than the book and TBH there's a fair amount of fluff in it. Some dodgy acting and silly moments dotted around too. It hasn't quite lived up to my hopes for it but the last episode (ep. 7) finally showed some promise. Hopefully it keeps it up this week :)

So for pure Summer fare/not much on...how does the show hold up?

Not bad. The premise is still quite interesting and they do make a decent go at showing society break down but a couple of the actors are very poor, the female cop in particular is quite awful to watch. My interest was waning a little bit but the 7th episode stepped things up a notch bringing the whole dome thing into "LOST" territory. Will have to see how they follow up on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

My interest was waning a little bit but the 7th episode stepped things up a notch bringing the whole dome thing into "LOST" territory. Will have to see how they follow up on that.

When people hear "LOST territory" they either think classic complex multi-season TV or confused mess that spiraled out of control. I tend towards the latter but I don't think the Dome will last as long.

When people hear "LOST territory" they either think classic complex multi-season TV or confused mess that spiraled out of control. I tend towards the latter but I don't think the Dome will last as long.

Ah I don't mean there's any smoke monsters or anything but there he been some interesting stuff going on in the woods and the mystery is ramping up. It just has a feel of LOST to me. My wife thought so too.

Another good episode. Seems like its found a groove with both the dome stuff and the power struggles. The story seems more focused though some of the same old flaws are there - e.g. [spolier]everyone suddenly stops shooting each other cos the well blows up![\spoiler] WTF! Its almost comedic. Also, it was completely unnecessary to hammer home that "circle of life" stuff from the last episode.

Not sure what to make of this the the king will be crowned bit. Why the focus on Angie's butterfly tattoo. The episode opened with the butterfly too. There must be some link there.

Anyway, definite improvement in the last two episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The dialog for the 2 kids is so bad, especially when the boy is supposed to be figuring something out, dont know how to describe it but it reminds me of the ridiculous way Robin used to figure out the Riddlers clues in the original Batman series, pure cringe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

My thoughts on "The Monarch Will be Crowned"'s meaning:

First of all, the episode was introduced with a butterfly flying around. The episode closed with us being shown a close up of a butterfly on Angie's shoulder. Both of these butterflies are the same species, both are Monarch butterflies.
    So we can assume that Angie is the key here.

Now, as for the "crowned" part, one of the host plants used by the monarch caterpillar is the "Crown flower."

Look at an image of the flower here:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b4/CrownFlower.jpg/800px-CrownFlower.jpg

Maybe I'm just reading too much into this, but it could appear as if the pink is shooting or rising up the centre of the flower, similar to what happened to the "egg" in Under The Dome. Also, the centre of the plant could appear to be a sort of dome shape.

Maybe I'm reading way too much into the Crown flower, but I'm 100% certain the Monarch butterfly has something to do with it.

Thargor wrote: »
    The dialog for the 2 kids is so bad, especially when the boy is supposed to be figuring something out, dont know how to describe it but it reminds me of the ridiculous way Robin used to figure out the Riddlers clues in the original Batman series, pure cringe.

The actor that plays the boy is one of the poorer ones on the show (or else it's the dialogue he's given). He's not awful but given the amount of screen time he gets, he's more noticeable.
    My thoughts on "The Monarch Will be Crowned"'s meaning:

First of all, the episode was introduced with a butterfly flying around. The episode closed with us being shown a close up of a butterfly on Angie's shoulder. Both of these butterflies are the same species, both are Monarch butterflies.

Thank you! So I think this confirms we're entering LOST territory with cryptic clues :) Not saying that's a bad thing mind you, it's a just a shift in gears over what came in the first 6 episodes.
    So we can assume that Angie is the key here.

Now, as for the "crowned" part, one of the host plants used by the monarch caterpillar is the "Crown flower."

Look at an image of the flower here:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b4/CrownFlower.jpg/800px-CrownFlower.jpg

Maybe I'm just reading too much into this, but it could appear as if the pink is shooting or rising up the centre of the flower, similar to what happened to the "egg" in Under The Dome. Also, the centre of the plant could appear to be a sort of dome shape.

Maybe I'm reading way too much into the Crown flower, but I'm 100% certain the Monarch butterfly has something to do with it.

Yup, definitely a LOST vibe going on :D

Angie does seem to be important but it's not at all clear why yet. There's has been nothing to date to suggest the dome has any interest in her. What was it that led Big Jim to finding her?

Also, since the whole "shhh" bit during one of the seizures, the kids have exactly stayed quite and there doesn't appear to have been any consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

brian_t wrote: »
    Under the Dome starts on Channel 5 on Monday, August 19th at 10pm

:cool:

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    :cool:

So they will be approx 9 episodes behind America.I have already series linked it on the Sky HD and looking forward to seeing it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Ill be watching this on Channel 5, can someone tell me if its any good? Ive jumped right to the end of the thread so as to avoid spoilers. The ad on TV definitely got me interested. How does it compare when put against the likes of Breaking Bad, Dexter and things like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It's fun summer TV, but completely disposable.

The only thing it has in common with Breaking Bad is Dean Norris!

Ill be watching this on Channel 5, can someone tell me if its any good? Ive jumped right to the end of the thread so as to avoid spoilers. The ad on TV definitely got me interested. How does it compare when put against the likes of Breaking Bad, Dexter and things like that?

Someone else asked just a few posts before you. Here was my (edited) reponse...
    Not bad. The premise is still quite interesting and they do make a decent go at showing society break down but a couple of the actors are very poor, the female cop in particular is quite awful to watch. My interest was waning a little bit but the 7th episode stepped things up a notch <snip>

It does not compare to BB, Dexter or anything like that. It is not of the same calibre at all. The premise is the strong but some poor casting and writing is stopping it from reaching the heights the premise promises. That said, it does seem to be finding its feet after the 6th episode. There's a bit of a LOST vibe developing, so if you liked that you may enjoy this.

put in "The Monarch Will be Crowned" in to google there is a sh1te load of people talking about it warning there are spoilers on some sites and had no bloddy warnings:(

naughto wrote: »
    put in "The Monarch Will be Crowned" in to google there is a sh1te load of people talking about it warning there are spoilers on some sites and had no bloddy warnings:(

game of thrones spoiler :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement