Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Under The Dome [CBS - US] [** Spoilers **] (Warning in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

they're getting of the hot women in the show. I'm against this new development!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I'm much preferring this series to the first one. Whereas season one seemed to focus on finding out what the dome wanted from it's 'chosen ones', this season seems much darker and more apocalyptic in tone. Linda being killed off in the first episode certainly helped too ;)

Great to see Dwight Yoakam appearing - I haven't seen him in an acting role since Panic Room. He does creepy so well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

I'm much preferring this series to the first one. Whereas season one seemed to focus on finding out what the dome wanted from it's 'chosen ones', this season seems much darker and more apocalyptic in tone. Linda being killed off in the first episode certainly helped too ;)

Great to see Dwight Yoakam appearing - I haven't seen him in an acting role since Panic Room. He does creepy so well!

Reason I've checked out, Dark Crystal...

Between this and The Leftovers and The Last Ship I'm a little bit concerned (and disinterested :D ) in what I think may be some proselytizing from some networks...

That sh!t will keep me awake longer that an episode of The Strain:eek:

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Even if she is much older than him, I still think Joe would be upgrading going with Melanie.

I think it's a bad idea to have that bit at the beginning about "2 weeks ago..." because knowing it's only 2 weeks makes all the relationships and reactions seem stupid or over the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Can't maintain an interest in season 2. I read the book so I suppose that's why the TV show is such a letdown - the book actually has laugh out loud moments. This is just drab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I can't say I'm impressed, characters are swinging all over the place - Barbie from a do-gooder to "let's hear the psycho teacher who wants to kill 25% of the population out". Joe goes from wanting to put a bullet in Melanie to liking her. Junior just annoys the sh1te out of me. At least Hank, sorry, Big Jim is somewhat consistent in being a power-hungry ruthless mofo (the almost-hanging-himself bit notwithstanding).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

That teacher has to be one of the worst conceived characters in television. This is a teacher, someone who has dedicated their life to looking after kids, caring for them, passing on knowledge. Yet this nut case seems to have no problem in implementing a mass eugenics program including killing of a newborn. If there was an argument for it, perhaps don't kill off the future generation. But again its getting back to the fact that she has no problem releasing a massive virus.

She is a Science teacher, yet she never considered that a flu virus could mutate and also assumes it would just kill of a quarter of the population. Everyone would be infected, she assume the weakest will die off...well inside the Dome I assume medical supplies are very low or running out, a mass flu outbreak would be deadly and kill off a lot more.

And her character is only one of the more annoying things in the last few episodes. Dead girl from the past...meh, junior's mother the prophet...meh, Tag from friends being the killer, meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

After the first episode I was positive and had hope for the season. Now I'm not so sure. The introduction of the teacher was a bit stupid but it wouldn't be so bad if she was wheeled on and off for a while until she established herself but, no, now she's gone from being (apparently) one of the silent, unseen majority to a front and center mover and shaker. She's quite annoying and it's a bit much tbh. I'm not buying the #running out of resources' story either. It's not surprising seeing as they've suddenly reopened the café and are scoffing coffee and pies and anything else they can get their hands on. They could introduce rationing at this stage. I'm sure there'd be a bit of resistance but it's better than genocide surely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Not liking that teacher. She seemed to go from potential Barbie interest to siding with big Jim.

I prefer even Linda over Rebecca

• Advertisement

The dialogue in this show is it's only saving grace - it's just hilarious. I've heard the book is actually not too bad, I wonder where it went wrong. At least they revealed more about the mystery of the egg in the last episode.

So Rebecca is not only the teacher but also the town vet? And she said she's been monitoring the pigs for weeks which is suspect in itself considering the dome only came down about 2 weeks prior.

Also was just thinking, how did the hospital stay open before Sam, considering they seem to now always rely on Sam for medical help?

So why do you think he
    killed Angie
    ?

Wasn't there an episode in the first season that dealt with food shortages already? And I agree about it being strange having a café doing business as usual, though dunno who's running it now considering the high mortality rate of people who run it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah they were nearly out of water from that well and talking about surviving on grain from the farms then they're still eating pie and coffee at the cafe, its so fcuking stupid.

Its like last season when that huge Mad Max style underground fight club and black market suddenly appeared out of nowhere at the cement factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Gotta love Big Jim,anything that happens,

"Is this a test,the dome is testing me" :D

Rachel with blonde hair just looks weird. The last episode continued the run of having dramatic character changes (DJ becoming homicidal) and terrible dialogue:
    Dead girl: Joe says you're really really smart; like a scientist
    Rebecca: Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Did Sam say he killed Angie?

Yeah he did. I'm rapidly getting bored with this show now. All the buildup over the virus which was a stupid idea anyway and nobody had the balls to do it anyway. Not that you'd have wanted that to happen but there was a genuine underlying problem there regarding resources. The angle with Rebecca talking about the baby and it's contribution to the dome community with the premise being that it should be killed was both pointless and stupid. I'd find it very hard to believe that that logic would actually arise anywhere really. Despite all this the café is full and serving out food to anyone who wants it. The collective food drive was stupid. Lets face it, if my family has food and it might mean us surviving, am I going to donate it into a collective pool? Maybe I might but if that pool is managed by the idiots who are shown to be managing it, not a hope! Just when they were faced with the realization that there is a food shortage issue and that none of the solutions are easy, hey presto! Along comes the old lady with the survivalist husband who can feed the town for months. I'd hoped that Stephen King getting more involved might have helped things but this is still, fundamentally, a pretty stupid show. What's most galling is that you can be an utter bastard one week, get forvien and be nice the next. Heck, Barbie's character has been all over the place since the season started and, despite all that, he's now back in hot redhead's good graces! I'm really starting to wonder if this show is worth the ffort any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭chickenboy

How many times now has Big Jim been in prison / done something evil and then been forgiven? 5 or 6?

It's only been two weeks!

Yeah, it's kind of becoming farcical at this stage. I personally don't get the town rallying behind big Jim at every possible opportunity. They've had plenty of proof he's not the nicest guy in town by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Here's another show that had a lot of promise being ruined by bad writing and plot development. I really don't understand how some people think it's a good thing that the writers killed off Linda at the beginning of this season because they listened to fans complaints.

If they kill off a central character at the whim of some fans then it just shows they don't really have much of a plan where the plot is going and how each character fits into it.

They introduce new characters and within one episode they have suddenly become central, where the hell were these people for all the previous episodes?

The characters that have been there from the start seem to have drastic personality changes from episode to episode depending on what the plot demands.

Perfect example in the recent episode where Phil has now gone from once being a chilled out DJ to basically becoming a murderous terrorist.

How are we supposed to become invested in a character/plot if everything we learn about them can completely u-turn within a couple of scenes?

A show where the plot dictates the characters and not the other way around is the tell-tail sign of rushed, unimaginative writing.

• Advertisement

"I didn't want anyone to know about the food, but I trust you Julia"
    "Hey everyone all this food that seemingly came out of nowhere? You can thank Andrea!"
    Yeah real trustworthy. And I'm pretty sure if you're going from rationing food to finding more food, you don't go crazy with it.

Then what about all the food that was locked away by Phil, for some reason, that others also knew about?

And that was really bad editing with the bomb.

Why has no one thought to contact Junior over the radio he's always wearing? Was he even aware that Phil was the sheriff? He's gonna get more confused than he is seeing Phil still wearing the uniform but Barbie acting as sheriff

Speaking of Junior, anyone else hoping Sam kills the 4 hands? Not to see if the dome comes down, but just because of who the hands are attached to.

Has Julia said she dropped the egg in the water and Melanie came out? Or is she keeping that to herself for some reason, since no one seems to have asked where the egg went?

And on a side note, what happened to the black market?

Dunno why I keep watching, but I do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

This is all so true.
    I watched the first series but gave up on the second after about 30 minutes of the first episode. It's really ridiculous. The story line is so full of inconsistencies and as for the acting....!!!!!!
    Thargor wrote: »
    Yeah they were nearly out of water from that well and talking about surviving on grain from the farms then they're still eating pie and coffee at the cafe, its so fcuking stupid.

Its like last season when that huge Mad Max style underground fight club and black market suddenly appeared out of nowhere at the cement factory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

Well now if they're not renewed it's a massive kick in the gonads to anyone who stuck with 2 seasons so far. A show that delivered little and went nowhere. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Looking at the way ratings have been diving for season two it looks like fans may have to prepare for taking to the streets. The show is becoming comically bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mdolly123

Looking at the way ratings have been diving for season two it looks like fans may have to prepare for taking to the streets. The show is becoming comically bad.

Agreed, gave up on this show, just about made it til end of season 1, total garbage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

The guy following Barbie was trying to sneak up behind him and whack him on the head with his torch, but when Barbie's hanging off the cliff he just pulls him up? It just goes against his entire character of killing the 4 hands at any cost, but hey lets pull up the one guy who can stop me from inevitable death and in the process jump off the cliff myself! Horrible writing.

The acting on this show isn't bad which just about makes me come back for more

The four characters connected to the dome on the boat putting their hands together in the vain hope it would produce something was such a funny sight. It was only slightly more funnier than two characters being stuck in a hole under the school and the remaining townsfolk coming together to build a windmill. This show is way more funnier than most sitcoms out there.

I like how the townsfolk are so great at building, whether it's a gallows or a windmill. Next they'll have a barn raising. And wasn't Rebecca's class working on something else as well?

So where did Lyle go? At least Barbie can go back and tell the kids who really killed Angie, which I'm sure he'll do immediately to avoid anything happening due to misinformation. Because that's how things always go in this show. :) Of course, where did Lyle go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

The four characters connected to the dome on the boat putting their hands together in the vain hope it would produce something was such a funny sight. It was only slightly more funnier than two characters being stuck in a hole under the school and the remaining townsfolk coming together to build a windmill. This show is way more funnier than most sitcoms out there.

Seriously?! I've not watched the second season but I keep an eye on this thread to see how bad it is getting. A windmill is a low point, where's the wind coming from!? They're under a dome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

the writers' backsides it would seem

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

This show is way more funnier than most sitcoms out there.

I actually had a legit fit of laughter at the Joe love triangle and some of the dialogue last week.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Seriously?! I've not watched the second season but I keep an eye on this thread to see how bad it is getting. A windmill is a low point, where's the wind coming from!? They're under a dome!
    They still have air (alot of hot air) and wind under the dome, like they still have rain. The dome is solid but also allows these materials through.

I do so like the teacher in the show. The guys are stuck in a hole and her first instinct is to blow sh!t up to get them out of their. All the fun of an 'A Team' episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Honestly I dont know why we're still watching. Monday nights are quiet I suppose.

Its turning (turned!) into a complete mess. Stupid really because there was so much potential.

Tuesdays for me involves watching this, Teen Wolf and Whose Line is it Anyway. So I get intentional laughs, a really good supernatural drama and an unintentional supernatural comedy. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

They still have air (alot of hot air) and wind under the dome, like they still have rain. The dome is solid but also allows these materials through.

Well that's another one added to the list of massive departures from the book if they are getting wind in there. Barely a light breeze should be generated if there's a hurricane outside. It's not even consistent with the show itself. Yes, they've shown the dome to have slight permeable properties but it will still break the wind, taking the energy out of it. The rain thing was stupid IMO and it sounds like it's a case of "the dome did it". A windmill has to be the most brainless idea this show has come up with yet. Also, as CastorTroy said, it's quite laughable how handy the townsfolk are at quickly taking a project from Big Jim's concept to completion.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Yes, they've shown the dome to have slight permeable properties but it will still break the wind, taking the energy out of it.

*Snigger*

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Its car crash tv at this stage.

I too thought the windmill was dumb. "We've to build a windmill! Who's with me?" cut to scene of working windmill! :). While all this was going on I couldn't help thinking of something very, very obvious. There's a lake there anyway so, in an enclosed space, how did the air ever get that dry that it needed to be vapourised to begin with? Put a glass of water under a jar and you'll see plenty of condensation on the jar over time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

episode 7 best one so far :D
    Zenith is connected to the dome

I dunno.

A major twist indeed but its still as muddled as ever.

Rapidly losing interest. Barbie is now out of the dome looking to go back in. TBH make a serious drama with people in a confined area running out of resources but leave it at that. Finding a way out strikes me as lazy writing at this stage. Why don't they all just jump out once Barbie gets back in now? End of show then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

squonk wrote: »
    Rapidly losing interest. Barbie is now out of the dome looking to go back in. TBH make a serious drama with people in a confined area running out of resources but leave it at that. Finding a way out strikes me as lazy writing at this stage. Why don't they all just jump out once Barbie gets back in now? End of show then!

It's a bit of plot movement,which is better than nothing, but I'm still not convinced it will get any better.

They won't be able to all jump out because they are going to bring in a nice little convenient plot point where something is going to happen to people who leave. Lloyd has already gone mad, Sam's hand has started to shake and he is holding it. So I reckon that is some plot point where they won't be allowed to leave in the real world :rolleyes:

They wont leave because they wont know to jump into the hole because for some inexplicable reason "the army" has made an impenetrable ten mile zone around the outside the dome. Of course dont expect him to approach The Army and tell them he's found a way out so they can tell the people inside. Oh no. I'm sure he'll have to arrange some kind of clandestine mission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

squonk wrote: »
    I too thought the windmill was dumb. "We've to build a windmill! Who's with me?" cut to scene of working windmill! :). While all this was going on I couldn't help thinking of something very, very obvious. There's a lake there anyway so, in an enclosed space, how did the air ever get that dry that it needed to be vapourised to begin with? Put a glass of water under a jar and you'll see plenty of condensation on the jar over time!

The writers who thought that throwing some water on a windmill would eradicate the dust over an entire town in seconds probably don't know what condensation means.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Glued in my seat in anticipation for tonight's show*

*May not be true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This show is getting dumber and dumber. IGN's review made me laugh:
    IGN wrote:
    No, the worst part of this episode happened right at the beginning. A beginning that not only seemed to forget about how last week's episode ended (Wasn't Barbie's dad taking him into the woods to the door? Weren't Julia and the teens making a connection about the playground they saw?), but one that saw Barbie send a needlessly cryptic "leap of faith" email to Julia. When he could have sent the message "Julia. Tell everyone in Chester's Mill that there's a way out of the goddamn dome! Just fall into the hole! Everyone can leave!"

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Theres just something so wrong with the way they all talk to each other, is the script being written by a computer in Hollywood? the way they discuss killing other people etc...

It really is awful. I have no idea why we're still watching. Although we've evolved to having it on in the background rather than sitting in front of the tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

It's **** poor alright.
    I'm watching it on the RTE player so not quite up to date.

Some of my annoyances:
    1. The science teacher talks in a 'nerd' voice half the time.
    2. Hank from Breaking Bad is terrible; just goes to show that an actor needs a good script and good direction to really do their best.
    3. Red haired girl has a permanent scowl on her face.
    4. The 'Stephen-Kingishness' of the town, 'Chester's Mill'. I read his books all through my teenage years so I just can't help associating the setting with the kind of book that I stopped reading 20 years ago.
    5. The story is going nowhere. No progression of the main central mystery, just random **** happening every week and then a whole new adventure the following week.

Can't wait for next week!

• Advertisement
Advertisement