Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on what to do

• 23-01-2013 3:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am looking for advice my mother passed away last year and we have a carer from (a care company) who comes to my Dads house Monday to Friday for 5 hours a day mainly as company for my Dad. My Dad pays (a care company) for this service.
    My Father has an alcohol problem and before Christmas he had told one of my brothers that he had given the carer large sums of money.(€12,500.00) Which is totally against (a care company) Policy on accepting gifts. He has also done jobs around the house and garden that did not need to be done and was paidWe then contacted the carer who is completely denying this and he called my dad straight away. In my dad’s eyes he has done nothing wrong but the carer should not have accepted the money. My dad has told us that he will hire this person independently if we contact (a care company) about this.
    I feel guilty because I was the one who interviewed this person and during the interview we talked about ethics and it was actually the carer that brought this topic up.
    I think this person is now taking advantage of someone who is still very vulnerable.
    Let me know if you have any ideas how to deal with this situation.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mod: I have edited this post to remove the name of the care company as it is not relevant to the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Is there any chance you could speak to the Carer about this. It does indeed sound like he is taking advantage of your father.

I think I would contact the Care Company as it may be that once the Carers cover is blown i.e. he has been accepting money, then he may not want to continue on as your dad's carer anyway.

If your dad needs company more so then care, is there any way you and your brothers could organise this between you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

This is a tricky situation for you, you suspect your father is being financially exploited by his carer but your father will employ the carer privately if you report this issue formally to authorities. I don't know your father's age and his cognitive ability but maybe you could make enquiries with the HSE (they have info on what to do if you suspect elder abuse). Even if your dad is younger than 65, they might be able to point you in the direction of somewhere that could help.

Advertisement